Options

*** Ed solo Chicago Night 2 Fanviews Here 8/22/08 ***

2»

Comments

• Options
    My wife and I were lucky to also spot Eddie arriving in the back entrance to the theater. He was parked about 50 yards away, and came back to the gate to say hello to about 30 fans that were waiting by. It was awesome to see him make a special effort to say hello.

The show itself was amazing. I was really impressed with how Eddie was able to pick a wide variety of songs and how personable it seemed. It felt like he was playing in your living room, and just playing what he felt like. I wish all shows could be as intimate. Eddie has to be one of the fastest strummers currently playing.

On the way out, we able to see the Stanley cup roll out of the same alley that Eddie arrived in, and was also able to Sean Penn roll out. I was able to pat him on the back and said "thanks".

It was one of the best concerts I have ever been to. I think the whole evening had the feeling that we were all VIP's.

Good Work Eddie.
  • Options
    My wife and I drove up from St Louis and hung out for the day. Chicago is always a good time. As we were walking up I saw all these people standing along the alley wearing PJ shirts so we stopped. Eddie's van pulled up and I thought that was pretty cool. Then he made the effort to walk up and say hello, very nice. The show was amazing besides the people above me in the 2nd balcony. We kept getting wet from them spilling their beer. I about flipped out when my newly purchased poster got wet. We complained to the usher and he let us down on the floor. So sorry to those whose view we blocked but it was worth it! It was a great night with amazing songs. Thank You Eddie.
    Don't it make you smile?
  • Options
    schpeeschpee Posts: 5
    There's a request- "C'mon, just sing." If you say please, maybe. You make me feel cheap.
  • Options
    jcrab66jcrab66 Posts: 6
    DesignVHL wrote:
    those damn sox fans are just jealous that they don't get half the attention our cubbies do! :)

typically a team that hasnt done crap in about a century will get lots of attention....
  • Options
    jcrab66jcrab66 Posts: 6
    Sox fans are baseball fans Cub fan are Wrigley fans.

yup, you do have to admit though, they have a cute mascot. I think the only reason all the girls like the scrubs is because of the cute little teddy bear....
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    jcrab66 wrote:
    yup, you do have to admit though, they have a cute mascot. I think the only reason all the girls like the scrubs is because of the cute little teddy bear....
    nope its because of the cute cubs themselves ;)
    http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/0/2008/04/16/370x278/Ryan_Theriot_80389023.jpg
    yum
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    and this is going to be long. I apologize in advance. I am having a hard time putting it all into words, so it is also probably going to be rambling...

I didn't know that I was going to get to go to Chicago until Tuesday morning. Everything just came together...buddy passes, TM dropped tickets, got the downtown Hilton on priceline. We had to leave on an earlier flight on Thursday, so my store was empty for 4 hours. I had more important things to do. ;)

Anyhoo, we got in to Chicago late Thursday, walked around a bit (saw everyone waiting for Ed by the Auditorium) and proceeded to get a bit tipsy (there's going to be a pattern here) at Kitty O-Shea's at the Hilton. On Friday, we had breakfast at The Bongo Room in Wicker Park (AWESOME on both fronts). We just spent the day walking around, going in cool little shops, and searching for cigarettes that weren't $11 a pack. No such luck.

On Friday afternoon, we headed over to Kasey's Tavern for the Wishlist pre-party. We were one of the first people there, except for two guys at another table--one of them was wearing a red PJ t-shirt (Helloooo, Daniel and Ray), so I knew they were "friendlies". Everyone from Wishlist came in and started setting up, and then it was a TORRENT of people! I had such a WONDERFUL time meeting everyone--if you met me, you know who you are and I LOVE YA! I won the raffle-TWICE, and I never win anything!!! Whoo-hoo! What a cool function for cool people...you can bet that we will be seen at Wishlist functions in the future! There will be name tags. ;)

After having many Stellas (and a couple of Don Julio's thrown in for good measure), we stumbed over to the Auditorium to meet up with Lisa and her friend, who were buying our extra tickets. When I say, "we stumbled", I mean me. :) It was getting close to the beginning of Liam's set, so we practically ran back to the Hilton for my "costume change". When we got back to the Auditorium, we stood in the lobby for a while, talking with Steve and Keri (who tolerated me quite well, bless their hearts). I kept sending my husband back to the merchandise table to get things for people here. We had NO money when we left. It was time to go in, so we found our seats and settled in.

OF COURSE, I had to use the bathroom, so off I went. I completely missed the Stanley Cup (so thanks for all of the photos and stories, and bitching, on that). When I got back, it was the beginning of a very emotional night for me...

The energy in the room was amazing. I didn't find the crowd annoying--I was just there to enjoy Ed, and since I could hear just fine, nothing else mattered. "Elderly Woman" was, as always, one of my (and the crowd's) favorites. I jammed to "Lukin" (now a favorite thanks to Roger) and "Setting Forth". I put my hands up for "Rise" and cried. Many of you know why, but I won't go into that. I was drying my face, when from up above me, I hear "Krista! Krista!" I am still not sure who it was, but THANK YOU. It completely turned my emotion from wistfulness, reflection, and fear back to being just overjoyed to be there! There, in Chicago. There, after meeting so many wonderful people. There, seeing and listening to Ed in all his glory. Just there.

I laughed my head off when the drunk girl popped up on stage. When Ed began to play "ARC", which I had never heard live before, I could hardly stand. I just leaned into my husband. Without knowing why, I just began to cry. Not jerking and choking, just a steady stream of tears that wouldn't stop. I have no idea what it came from, it was just there, and (surprisingly), it felt good. Maybe I was getting some things out that I didn't know I still had lingering? Maybe it was just a culmination of two of the most fantastic days I had in a long time?

After the show, we stood outside with some of our new friends (DirtyTom, Laura, Jarred, others whom I keep getting their "real" names and "pit" names mixed up, and I met Patty!). My sweet, tolerant husband lingered with me for a while, and then we made the walk back to the Hilton. I immediately posted a small blurb here, and then went to bed. It was over. For now...

Waiting for next year is going to be hard. Each of these shows seems to give me a new "lease" of energy. Looking foward to seeing you all again (Ed and PJ, included) is going to be tough, but I been through worse! Next year, my friends. Next year. :)

Take care. Double today.
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    kcherub wrote:
    and this is going to be long. I apologize in advance. I am having a hard time putting it all into words, so it is also probably going to be rambling...

I didn't know that I was going to get to go to Chicago until Tuesday morning. Everything just came together...buddy passes, TM dropped tickets, got the downtown Hilton on priceline. We had to leave on an earlier flight on Thursday, so my store was empty for 4 hours. I had more important things to do. ;)

Anyhoo, we got in to Chicago late Thursday, walked around a bit (saw everyone waiting for Ed by the Auditorium) and proceeded to get a bit tipsy (there's going to be a pattern here) at Kitty O-Shea's at the Hilton. On Friday, we had breakfast at The Bongo Room in Wicker Park (AWESOME on both fronts). We just spent the day walking around, going in cool little shops, and searching for cigarettes that weren't $11 a pack. No such luck.

On Friday afternoon, we headed over to Kasey's Tavern for the Wishlist pre-party. We were one of the first people there, except for two guys at another table--one of them was wearing a red PJ t-shirt (Helloooo, Daniel and Ray), so I knew they were "friendlies". Everyone from Wishlist came in and started setting up, and then it was a TORRENT of people! I had such a WONDERFUL time meeting everyone--if you met me, you know who you are and I LOVE YA! I won the raffle-TWICE, and I never win anything!!! Whoo-hoo! What a cool function for cool people...you can bet that we will be seen at Wishlist functions in the future! There will be name tags. ;)

After having many Stellas (and a couple of Don Julio's thrown in for good measure), we stumbed over to the Auditorium to meet up with Lisa and her friend, who were buying our extra tickets. When I say, "we stumbled", I mean me. :) It was getting close to the beginning of Liam's set, so we practically ran back to the Hilton for my "costume change". When we got back to the Auditorium, we stood in the lobby for a while, talking with Steve and Keri (who tolerated me quite well, bless their hearts). I kept sending my husband back to the merchandise table to get things for people here. We had NO money when we left. It was time to go in, so we found our seats and settled in.

OF COURSE, I had to use the bathroom, so off I went. I completely missed the Stanley Cup (so thanks for all of the photos and stories, and bitching, on that). When I got back, it was the beginning of a very emotional night for me...

The energy in the room was amazing. I didn't find the crowd annoying--I was just there to enjoy Ed, and since I could hear just fine, nothing else mattered. "Elderly Woman" was, as always, one of my (and the crowd's) favorites. I jammed to "Lukin" (now a favorite thanks to Roger) and "Setting Forth". I put my hands up for "Rise" and cried. Many of you know why, but I won't go into that. I was drying my face, when from up above me, I hear "Krista! Krista!" I am still not sure who it was, but THANK YOU. It completely turned my emotion from wistfulness, reflection, and fear back to being just overjoyed to be there! There, in Chicago. There, after meeting so many wonderful people. There, seeing and listening to Ed in all his glory. Just there.

I laughed my head off when the drunk girl popped up on stage. When Ed began to play "ARC", which I had never heard live before, I could hardly stand. I just leaned into my husband. Without knowing why, I just began to cry. Not jerking and choking, just a steady stream of tears that wouldn't stop. I have no idea what it came from, it was just there, and (surprisingly), it felt good. Maybe I was getting some things out that I didn't know I still had lingering? Maybe it was just a culmination of two of the most fantastic days I had in a long time?

After the show, we stood outside with some of our new friends (DirtyTom, Laura, Jarred, others whom I keep getting their "real" names and "pit" names mixed up, and I met Patty!). My sweet, tolerant husband lingered with me for a while, and then we made the walk back to the Hilton. I immediately posted a small blurb here, and then went to bed. It was over. For now...

Waiting for next year is going to be hard. Each of these shows seems to give me a new "lease" of energy. Looking foward to seeing you all again (Ed and PJ, included) is going to be tough, but I been through worse! Next year, my friends. Next year. :)

Take care. Double today.

awesome post, glad to hear your experience. I am so glad I made the trip to Chicago

YOU ROCK !!!
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    smarchee wrote:
    awesome post, glad to hear your experience. I am so glad I made the trip to Chicago

YOU ROCK !!!

No, once again--YOU ROCK!!! I didn't go into all the people that I met at the pre-party in this one, as I have forgotten some names/pit names. Actually, I think I have some people's pit names confused with their real names--thinking they are two different people!

But...not you Smarchee. :)
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    iamica wrote:
    I didn't see one of these, so I'm posting it now.

Setlist:
    Sometimes, Trouble, Girl From The North Country, I Am Mine, Dead Man, Brain Damage / Masters Of War, Setting Forth, Guaranteed, No Ceiling, Far Behind, Rise, Soon Forget, I'm One, Drifting, Hide Your Love Away, Small Town, Can't Explain, Porch

1st Encore: Growing Up, Blackbird, Throw Your Arms Around Me, Society, Someday We'll Go All The Way (Cubs Song), Wishlist, Lukin, Let My Love Open The Door, Arc

2nd Encore: Hard Sun

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
    i HAVE ALWAYS LOVED Paul McCartney everyine on earth loves him..ccryderzz
  • Options
    Thank you 10C!!! I sat 6th row, dead center Orchestra row C!!! My buddy ended up buying a ticket outside the venue for $120 (I thik he had row LLL)...he called my cell to see where I was, and he was 2 rows in front of me to the right!!!! Great night!
    lolla 8/2/92 - soldier field 7/11/95 - east troy 6/26/98 6/27/98 - Chicago 6/29/99 - east troy 10/8/00 - Champaign 4/23/03 - Chicago 6/18/03 - east troy 6/21/03 - PNC Park 9/28/05 (stones opener) - Chicago 5/16/06 - Chicago 5/17/06 - Summerfest 06 - the vic 8/2/07 - lolla 8/5/07 - MSG #2 08 - EV solo 8/08 - Chicago 8/23/09 8/24/09 - Los Angeles 10/6/09 10/7/09, EV Boston, Chi, NY 11, PJ20 East Troy, WI - Chicago 7/19/13 - Cinci 10/1/14, Moline, IL 10/17/14, Jacksonville, FL 4/13/16 - Toronto 5/10/16 -  Boston 8/7/16 - Chicago 8/20 & 8/22/16 - Chicago 8/18 & 8/20/18 - St Louis 9/18/22 - St Paul 8/31/23 - Chicago 9/5 & 9/7/23 - Ft Worth 9/13/23 - Austin 9/18/23
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940
    i stumbled upon this thread after so many months... I had so many good memories from this show and from chicago... i only had the chance to see eddie two times one in los angeles 1 and in this night, i wish i could live again the experience of a tour like this. Eddie was like two persons the PJ eddie and the solo eddie, similar but totally different, more intimate and joyful.

Thanks Eddie!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    I was one of the lucky fans who received an upgrade to the front row of the show. My wife and I originally had seats on the last row of the second level, behind a metal post holding up the next level. The ticket guy walks up to us and all he says is "Give me your tickets, your going down front." My wife, not believeing the gentlemen, told him to walk us down front so we could ensure that he wasn't scamming us. After some back and forth he apologized for bothering us and left. I sat dejected, wondering if I had passed on the coolest thing that might ever happen to me. I decided to get out of my seat and follow the ticket guy up stairs. I saw him give two tickets to a younger couple and they took off excitedly downstairs. So, I walk up to him, apologize for not believing him and asked him if I could please take advantage of the offer. He said he was sorry for bothering me, but that he could no longer help me out. I was pretty down at this point, so I thanked him for the opportunity and went back to my seats. I told my wife the offer was real and we just sat there pretty upset on what we had passed up. After a little time we decided to just drop it and enjoy the show. Not 2 minutes after we made this decision, I turn around to go to the bathroom and ticket guy is standing behind me. He looks me in the eye and says "Give me your tickets, I've been saving these 2 for you." This time we quickly handed ours over to him and thanked him a million times before heading to the front row, dead center. There was a piece of tape down the middle of the stage and our seats were right in the middle of the tape. But the coolest thing all night had yet to happen. After Eddie's first set, he starts walking right toward us. We thought he was going to stop and take a bow before heading off stage. But he keeps walking. Keeps walking right towards ME. Next thing I know I raise my arm and he hands me his pick from that set. COOLEST THING EVER. Thanks to Eddie for an awesome show and for the pick that now resides in my safe deposit box along with a million memories that I wish I could fit in there too.

Does anyone have any pictures or video (I know there wre supposed to be no cameras) of Eddie handing the pick to a short guy in a black shirt and a plaid type baseball hat. That would be me and I would love to have a visual of this to show my friends and family. Plus, I would just love to relive this moment because when it happened it really didn't feel real. Thanks Ed and everyone there for the night of me and my wife's lives.
  • Options
    KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    I was sitting right below Chelios, John, and Sean. I talked to John and gave him shit about being a Cubs fan. He gave me an excuse a Cubs fan can't even stand. "I'm a fan of both teams." It was then that I realized he has been out of Chicago for too long. I got a great pic of Chris holding the cup down. I'll try to post it soon. The show was excellent as expected. An experience I would never wanted to miss. I can't wait for the bands next tour. The fans around me were from the city and all over the country. Everyone around me was great and really appreciated the opportunity to be at the show. I had absolutely no complaints with the people around me, all fanclub members, and all real cool. It makes it cool to be a member. See you all next tour.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • Options
    livedeadlivedead Posts: 8
    kick ass show. I was in section N
    jcrab66 wrote:
    DesignVHL wrote:
    those damn sox fans are just jealous that they don't get half the attention our cubbies do! :)

typically a team that hasnt done crap in about a century will get lots of attention....

typical cub fan.love to love a loser team.(cubs that is)
    Whats up with the "ABOUT" a century?
    Soldier Field 1995
    Chicago 2003
    Alpine Valley 2003
    Chicago May 16 & 17 2006
    MilwaukeeFest, 2006 June 30
    Lollapalooza 2007
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,179
    bkmiller74 wrote:
    My wife and I were lucky to also spot Eddie arriving in the back entrance to the theater. He was parked about 50 yards away, and came back to the gate to say hello to about 30 fans that were waiting by. It was awesome to see him make a special effort to say hello.

The show itself was amazing. I was really impressed with how Eddie was able to pick a wide variety of songs and how personable it seemed. It felt like he was playing in your living room, and just playing what he felt like. I wish all shows could be as intimate. Eddie has to be one of the fastest strummers currently playing.

On the way out, we able to see the Stanley cup roll out of the same alley that Eddie arrived in, and was also able to Sean Penn roll out. I was able to pat him on the back and said "thanks".

It was one of the best concerts I have ever been to. I think the whole evening had the feeling that we were all VIP's.

Good Work Eddie.

Did you see him on Michigan Ave or on Wabash on Night 2?
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    korion450korion450 Posts: 21
    I need a pearl jam computer bag anyone willing to part with the yellow and green one released about 3 years ago?
    KAA