Options

The Best X-Mas single. period. Vote now!

brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
edited May 2009 in The Porch
Best X-Mas single overall. The best whole she-bang. here's my vote:

2007 (Santa God, Jingle Bells)

It's such a beautifully realized single. You get an original song on side A, you get McCready ripping up a favorite on side B, you get 2 great photos, and you get Ed's hand-lettering. All wrapped up into one. plus it's actually Christmas-themed. Can't get better.. or can it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    same, i think santa god is actually a brilliant song
    they should put it in the set this year, who cares if its august lol!!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I like the 2002 single best. Sleepless nights is a great song and I really like Don't believe in Xmas. Loved the version on the Showbox DVD. Am I correct in saying that the Xmas single was recorded the same night the DVD was in a soundcheck?
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    I've always been partial to 1999.

You get 2 totally new, original songs....the haunting and beautiful Strangest Tribe, and Driftin' a song i've grown to love since seeing Ed do it solo on last summers tour.

Love Reign O're Me is still the greatest thing they've put on one of these though....too bad we couldnt get a studio version of The Real Me!
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    1999 for me too. Driftin' is the best holiday single song by far.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Fatal wrote:
    I've always been partial to 1999.

You get 2 totally new, original songs....the haunting and beautiful Strangest Tribe, and Driftin' a song i've grown to love since seeing Ed do it solo on last summers tour.

Love Reign O're Me is still the greatest thing they've put on one of these though....too bad we couldnt get a studio version of The Real Me!

One of these or the one that is a double 10"
  • Options
    DrewRWxDrewRWx Posts: 71
    I've always loved the 1997 single! It has the coolness of a split single and both songs are so wonderfully noisy!
  • Options
    parintachin73parintachin73 Posts: 731
    edited May 2009
    I gotta vote for Last Soldier. It's a fuckin' great song and it gets no love. I keep hoping one of these tours they'll put it in some setlists.
  • Options
    Electric FeelElectric Feel Posts: 198
    I really liked "Happy When I'm Crying" (1997?). That is such a fun song to listen to. Jack's drums, Eddie's vocal melody, and that crunchy little guitar riff. Very underrated song in general.
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    1995 single! I love it!
    My parents still have the vinyl from being in the fan club back then even though we have no record player! haha.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    RevolutnRevolutn Posts: 6
    Pfffeeew this is TOUGH.

So many worth choices.....

I think I have to give my nod to Driftin'

I abso freaking lutely love that tune

Last Kiss is totally decent too but i still prefer Driftin, and I always appreciate the quirky unique songs
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    broloco wrote:
    Best X-Mas single overall. The best whole she-bang. here's my vote:

2007 (Santa God, Jingle Bells)

It's such a beautifully realized single. You get an original song on side A, you get McCready ripping up a favorite on side B, you get 2 great photos, and you get Ed's hand-lettering. All wrapped up into one. plus it's actually Christmas-themed. Can't get better.. or can it?

its a good one!
    danny d
  • Options
    DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    def has to be a tie between the first one & 2007...Let Me Sleep was the greatest original x-mas song I'd ever heard from a rock band until Santa God so :D
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    OffMeGoesOffMeGoes Posts: 483
    Last Soldier is amazing. I was so lucky to be at that show, the only time I think it was ever played.........stood still thinking it was the only time I would ever hear or feel what it was all about........I had no idea Mike could write such a great song....

Having said that, I havent loved one more than '99 Driftin......
    Formally known as Tackalac before being formally known as Vedderwt,,,,....release my old name and posts....

I saw a wino eating grapes, I said, "Dude, you have to wait"
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    fowls wrote:
    1999 for me too. Driftin' is the best holiday single song by far.
    That's my vote as well. 1999, Strangest Tribe and DRIFTIN'

I like the Christmas single version of Driftin' a lot better than the Lost Dogs version.

And right behind with honorable mentions are 1993's Angel and 1995 all four songs.

Sonic Reducer.....both years.

And have to recognize Temple of The Dog....so badass it had to be on a 10 inch!!

And I really liked the Jackson Five cover of that Christmas song.
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,564
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    FW46778FW46778 Posts: 227
    I am really digging the new one. Santa cruz is a great song, and golden state would be nice on the solo tour. so pumped for ed in philly on the 12th. I did all this planning for chicago that i forgot that i am seeing him solo again.
    I used to be MILKwasAbadChoice...Now I am just FW46778...a math teacher in jersey
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    I love Olympic Platinum, I usually don't like so much songs like this, only piano and voice, but there's something special in Ed's voice in this tune.. so powerful and emotional, and I'm not even a big fan of sport in general :D
    The 99 one contains one of the greatest acoustic songs ever written..
    I wonder if the band has forgotten to have written a gem like Strangest Tribe
  • Options
    TT8270TT8270 Posts: 429
    Without a doubt "Strangest Tribe" from 1999. It's a classic. One of the best PJ songs ever. Haunting and beautiful.
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
    The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    aNiMaL wrote:

I like the Christmas single version of Driftin' a lot better than the Lost Dogs version.

I had no idea they were different! just took a listen over at gremmie. I'm torn..
  • Options
    joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    happy when im crying......something about that song that just wants you to blast it everytime its on......
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    broloco wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

I had no idea they were different! just took a listen over at gremmie. I'm torn..
    I just re-took the ppsi challenge too and i am sticking with my initial assessment. The original Christmas version is more raw, and I like how Ed sings it better than the re-record of it.

Plus you got to love the "Merry Christmas" at the end of the original.
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Niko80 wrote:

easily IMO...
  • Options
    UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,382
    94/95 DOuble Set

History Never Repeats was insane

And i loved the artwork for this one the best
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    worst artwork, but i loved Someday At Christmas
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130

No other single best captures the true potential of this band.

Side A. They rip out an incredible version of Sonic Reducer in the studio and leave the belch in. Genius.

Side B. They showcase the craziness of the Slim's show. What's truly remarkable about this is it demonstrates PJ's ability to embrace any type of crowd and take control of them. They could've done this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsoP-5lGR4I, but they didn't. Instead they took control of the crowd and turned in a legendary performance. What other band would have released this officially?

Yeah. That's what I thought.

"A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,072
    Drifting is the shit.