Options

My thoughts on the mini-tour & New Album

U R A Crazy BreedU R A Crazy Breed Posts: 8,370
edited May 2009 in The Porch
I see a lot of people bitching and complaining (nothing new around here)

why don't they just stay in the studio till the new album is done?

why are they only playing "here" and not "there"?

Why is Ed doing a solo tour again?

are they just greedy/money hungry?

etc etc etc etc.......

First of all....since when is PJ doing some shows that aren't in support of new material a bad thing? I'm so glad they aren't one of those bands who only tours every 3-5 years when they drop a new album!! that shows they still love 1 to make music and 2 each other! both pluses IMO! when/if they lose that passion..we all lose!

I also know..being the son of a musican(well pops used to be a musican) I know that a lot of the shit you wind up using for an album is born on the road when you are jamming/warming up for shows. I have a feeling PJ may be looking to stir up their creative juices out on the road so they can come home and finish the album. I much would rather they take their time and do it right than release something half assed...and if that means the new album doesn't drop till next year..SO BE IT!! I can wait! I can make a road trip if they aren't playing in my neck of the woods! and if i can't swing that then i will watch DVD's and listen to boots till they come around my way! I in no way think i am owed anything from them nor do i think my $20 a year for membership entitles me to be a little cry baby when PJ doesn't conform to my wishes!!

I love good music..so i love this band...they are very good to us fans and that is part of what makes them who they are, and why we love them...some of you need to stop looking the gift horse in the mouth and be thankful for what you get, instead of bitching about what you don't have!!!

this shit is redundant i know...and it's all been said before is so many ways...but i needed to get that shit off my chest!!

and that is my 2 cents!

PEACE!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804
    my thoughts???

pearl jam is playing some shows in Europe...
    pearl jam is playing some shows in the good ole USA.............

if you can afford a ticket and can go to the show.....HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!!!

if you cant go to the show............its not the end of the fucking world....

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A ROCK CONCERT!!!!!!!!!
    WE ARE TALKING ABOUT 2-3 HOURS OF YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!

and that is all we are talking about!!!!!!! a fucking rock concert...........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    i didnt go to any pearl jam shows last year....
    and i didnt go to any Eddie solo shows last year....

and guess what???

IM STILL BREATHING!!!!!

pearl jam is playing 10 minutes from my house Aug. 23-24

and guess what???

I DIDNT buy 10club tickets....

AND IM STILL BREATHING!!!!!!!!!

its a fucking rock concert............
  • Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    Amen to these comments!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    and after i go to the shows aug 23-24(in the 12th balcony)...

i will get up tuesday morning and GO TO WORK...
    and pay my bills...
    and put some money in the bank....
    and maybe go on another camping trip in a few weeks before it gets cold.....
    and maybe think of taking another vacation in Hawaii or the Bahamas.....

in other words im gonna wake up tuesday and go on with my life....

BECAUSE ITS JUST A 2-3 HOUR ROCK CONCERT!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    norm wrote:
    i didnt go to any pearl jam shows last year....
    and i didnt go to any Eddie solo shows last year....

and guess what???

IM STILL BREATHING!!!!!

pearl jam is playing 10 minutes from my house Aug. 23-24

and guess what???

I DIDNT buy 10club tickets....

AND IM STILL BREATHING!!!!!!!!!

its a fucking rock concert............

but you are going right?
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    [/quote]

but you are going right?[/quote]
    im gonna shoot some fireworks off from the 15th balcony ....
    just so everyone knows where i am sitting..........
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965

but you are going right?[/quote]
    just so everyone knows where i am sitting..........[/quote]
    Yay! Hope to see you in Chicago! :D
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    If you are paying a membership to use this forum, then im suprised its 'just a fucking rock concert' to you.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    But they're supporting the new album. Since when has the album been pushed back?
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337

i'd go just to see that...awesome :lol:

and yeah, in the grand scheme of life it's not the be-all, end-all. i'm hoping for some west coast shows, and if they don't pan out, i'm still gonna have a fantastic summer (even though i dunno if i'm going anywhere or not haha)
  • Options
    tsaraxtsarax Buffalo, NY Posts: 245
    I see a lot of people bitching and complaining (nothing new around here)

why don't they just stay in the studio till the new album is done?

why are they only playing "here" and not "there"?

Why is Ed doing a solo tour again?

are they just greedy/money hungry?

etc etc etc etc.......

First of all....since when is PJ doing some shows that aren't in support of new material a bad thing? I'm so glad they aren't one of those bands who only tours every 3-5 years when they drop a new album!! that shows they still love 1 to make music and 2 each other! both pluses IMO! when/if they lose that passion..we all lose!

I also know..being the son of a musican(well pops used to be a musican) I know that a lot of the shit you wind up using for an album is born on the road when you are jamming/warming up for shows. I have a feeling PJ may be looking to stir up their creative juices out on the road so they can come home and finish the album. I much would rather they take their time and do it right than release something half assed...and if that means the new album doesn't drop till next year..SO BE IT!! I can wait! I can make a road trip if they aren't playing in my neck of the woods! and if i can't swing that then i will watch DVD's and listen to boots till they come around my way! I in no way think i am owed anything from them nor do i think my $20 a year for membership entitles me to be a little cry baby when PJ doesn't conform to my wishes!!

I love good music..so i love this band...they are very good to us fans and that is part of what makes them who they are, and why we love them...some of you need to stop looking the gift horse in the mouth and be thankful for what you get, instead of bitching about what you don't have!!!

this shit is redundant i know...and it's all been said before is so many ways...but i needed to get that shit off my chest!!

and that is my 2 cents!

PEACE!!!

Well said. Thanks for posting this.
    05-02-03 Buffalo; 07-12-03 Hershey; 09-13-05 Hamilton; 09-19-05 Toronto; 05-10-06 Toronto; 06-27-08 Hartford; 08-21-09 Toronto; 05-09-10 Cleveland; 05-10-10 Buffalo; 09-11-11 Toronto; 09-15-11 Hamilton; 07-16-13 London; 05-10-16 Toronto
  • Options
    to some people.."it's just a fucking rock concert"...to other people...it's so much more than that
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    to some people.."it's just a fucking rock concert"...to other people...it's so much more than that
    It's something I look forward to almost constantly, but you're totally right - knowing my friends and I are all healthy, and being able to afford a good education is enough to keep me happy. If Pearl Jam were done tomorrow, I'd still be breathing, and what more can you ask for?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,312
    I think a very important point is that they are touring. They are not like some other bands that only tour every 3-5 years or are now defunct for some reason or another. The fact that the band still think that it's important to them to tour is awesome. I would rather there be some shows that I can't go to than no shows that I can't go to. If I end up at the United Center this will be the 7th consecutive year that I saw PJ in concert. Just the fact that that stat is possible is a testament to how hard this band works and the importance they put on live shows. The World tours of 2000 and 2003 are a thing of the past welcome to the new PJ live experience. It's change and I know it's scary but we all have to deal with it.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    CrookedTomCrookedTom Posts: 252
    This has all the hallmarks of 2005, when we were all expecting the album that year, and instead they toured Canada and South America, and put out 'Pearl Jam' in 2006. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens again. Album out in early 2010, then the full US/Europe/Australia world tour.

To be honest I am slightly nervous for the new album. I didn't like Riot Act, and although Pearl Jam was at first great, its not aged that well..The new one has got to be better. I loved Into The Wild though, so I am hoping Vedder has found his songwriting magic again. No more Comatose, Help Help & Bu$hleaguer's please boys....
  • Options
    tsarax wrote:

Right on, 2 summers in a row I get to see Ed solo and full band shows. I consider myself lucky.
    RFK 6/13/98 -Tibetan Freedom, Pittsburgh 8/25/98, Merriweather Post 9/4/00, Grand Rapids 10/03/04 - MoveOn.org, Palace of Auburn Hills 5/22/06, Grant Park 8/05/07 - Lollapalooza, Verizon Center, DC 6/22/08, Chicago 8/22/08 - EDDIE, Baltimore 6/14/09 - EDDIE, United Center 8/23/09, Verizon Wireless 5/7/10
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,692
    Pearl Jam can do whatever they fucking want whenever they want... 15 million of us ensured that when we bought the TEN album and we've afforded them that right with our fanactic sometimes borderline lunatic devotion to this band and their subsequent releases,tours, books ect ect.

I'm just happy this band is still around making great music. They're an unbelievable live act...
    STILL

Mind you they may not be the angry young band that we all fell in love with all those years ago...but they still rock and they really try on all angles to do right by us fans.

You have to remember that these guys are MUSICIANS. Surely you know some musicians. About 9/10 of them can hardly comb their hair, shower, or tie their fucking shoes.

Pearl Jam Inc may be an organization on paper, but these guys are just a couple of dudes who love MUSIC and love to make MUSIC. They're not business men. They don't sit around in a boardroom. They play Rock'n'Roll for Christ Sake!!!. I'd be surprised if they have even a passing knowledge in how to drive automobiles, fold Laundry or drive cars, let alone run an organization like the fucking TEN CLUB. I'm amazed that they are as organized as they are. We're very lucky that way. We're very lucky that the band actually stops for a moment, puts down their instruments and actually thinks about it's fans for a second. Cause if you stop and think about it ...They don't really have to at this point.

I went and saw Springsteen last night. It was an amazing show and it really made me appreciate not only Bruce...but oddly enough...Pearl Jam on a whole other level. It made me realize that this kind of Rock'n'Roll and mad dying devotion to this art is rare these days. Bands like the E-Street Band and Pearl Jam and the devotion with which they approach their music is in short supply. And God help us if we ever lose bands like this.

If you've ever had a chance to see Springsteen and the E-Street Band live -whether you enjoy the music or not- you can't help but be blown away at how after all these years, the guy just gives everything he has. For a 59/60 year old man, it's no doubt a serious feat of super human porportions. To be doing that for so long and to contiune to give everything he's got night after night is just amazing. It's a love of music and nothing else that drives him -money, fame, and sucess are obviously an afterthought at this point-.

When you watch Pearl Jam, you get that same vibe. That music is everything to these guys. Above all...they love what they do and it's awesome to get to watch that love translated on the stage. No doubt they may make a bad decision here and there, and they may not always make groundbreaking world shattering music into the twighlight of their careers...but to watch them hit the stage with the same enthusiasim and passion that they started with since the very begining is enough to reward them a lifetime of devotion and praise from me.

They may not make an album every week, spend their time on Twitter dissing other bands, or stream useless videos 24/7 ( I'm looking at you Billy Corgan, Trent Reznor) that's just the fodder of bored self important artists.

The point is...Pearl Jam still has fire running through their veins. They still love eachother and they still love making music with each other. They still make good music and they still put on one motherfucker of a concert.

Who gives a rat's shit if the Christmas/Holiday/"Free Gift" single is late. We're gonna get it, and we're gonna get a new album and more extensive tour sooner than later.

As long as the passion is there.
    So Am I

Keep on Rockin'
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    I BrisK I wrote:
    If you are paying a membership to use this forum, then im suprised its 'just a fucking rock concert' to you.

but it really is JUST a rock concert, I'm missing Chicago II because I can't have my boys miss school, it definitely isn't the damper on the rest of my year.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    oneforeachdayoneforeachday Posts: 494
    edited May 2009
    god, I'm sick of people complaining about people complaining. not that I'm complaining.

:geek:

just kiddin'. right on dude. some good thoughts (IMHO). I think my $20 gets me a pretty sweet newsletter thinggy, the xmas single, and the "chance" to get 10c tix. sometimes, you can do a little work to increase your chances in life (in this case, troll the msg board to find out stuff that maybe they didn't do the "best" job communicating through ONE other medium = email). the info and tour dates/stops could be released in a "more organized" fashion (like addition of second chitown date). but to be honest, if you (the general you, not OP) remove your 'selfish' hat for a minute, which group do you think is more affected by the addition of a show: A) the people that had night 1 tix and are now somehow "screwed" by the addition of a show (flights, hotels) or B) the people who got shut out of night one (for whatever reason) and now have a new opportunity to see them. shit, sorry, the selfish hat is stuck on your head isn't it... thought I was asking too much for you to remove it.

ok, i'm gonna go find something else to complain about.... you've ruined my day. :lol:
    Post edited by oneforeachday on
  • Options
    tsaraxtsarax Buffalo, NY Posts: 245

What else could it possibly be other than a rock concert? It's certainly not life or death....
    05-02-03 Buffalo; 07-12-03 Hershey; 09-13-05 Hamilton; 09-19-05 Toronto; 05-10-06 Toronto; 06-27-08 Hartford; 08-21-09 Toronto; 05-09-10 Cleveland; 05-10-10 Buffalo; 09-11-11 Toronto; 09-15-11 Hamilton; 07-16-13 London; 05-10-16 Toronto
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    the thing is in the press release they mentioned they would be hitting europe again in winter so ive a feeling his is to debut some new choons more than anything and see how they play out live, then back to the states finish up the album, release it and then off on a big fuck off tour

as a side note
    cant wait for manchester baby yeah!!!
  • Options
    PJPJ Posts: 282
    Very well said Gonzo....very nice indeed!
    2006-06-01 E. Rutherford 1
    2008-06-24 NYC: MSG 1
    2008-06-25 NYC: MSG 2
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    Look, there are issues. No. Nothing will ever be perfect; and for the most part things are pretty good considering the money we pay to be in the is club. But there is nothing wrong with people sounding off about how they feel.

This is a forum. No one is ever going to agree. Lets try and understand this. We keep going back and forth and arguing on things that are OPINION based. I respect somebody when they have a different opinion that I dont agree with (for the most part..LOL).

But when a consumer is unhappy with a service, there is nothing wrong with voicing that. For example, If we didnt complain about what went down the other day, we might not have got that west coast tour info from Tim. Which I might add is really important info for me personally. Now I can start saving money and make tentative plans for later in the year.

If someone is not happy with something he or she is paying for you cant blame them for sounding off. This is part of what America is. The complaint in most cases may be with the way people go about voicing their opinion.

Just my 2 cents. And Im sure there a re plenty of people that disagree with me, but thats OK.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA