Options

Teacher Appreciation Week

LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
edited May 2009 in The Porch
Well, this past week is teacher appreciation week in my state (I'm assuming nationwide???), well anyway, one of my students that always gives me a hard time :twisted: walks in my classroom this morning and slaps down the legacy edition of TEN on my desk and walkd out. I was shocked!!!! I don't teach him until the end of the day, so I figured that I'd thank him then. I make it no secret to my students that PJ is my favorite band :mrgreen: Each year I pick a song during our poetry writing unit and we study the lyrics- try to find hidden meanings, what the song's about, etc... Basically it's a way to hook them into poetry- ALL students love music!!! And Poetry is mucis!!! Anyway, every year I always throw in a PJ song, but this past year we did a few from ITW. The kids loved it!!! Once I told them what the movie was about a bunch of them even went out and rented the DVD. Pretty cool, I thought.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with you guys. I didn't have the heart to tell the student that I already had the CD/DVD myself, it was the thought that counts. I'll probably end up donating it to a wishlist pre-party or something.

This really made my day!!!! :mrgreen:
www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
1998: Birmingham
2000: Charlotte, Tampa
2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
2004: Kissimmee
2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
2010: MSG2
2012: Music Midtown
2014: Memphis
2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
2022: Nashville
2023: Ft. Worth II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    I would be terrified to teach and have total 100% respect for those who do, well the good ones anyway. Some people just don't get how to teach the youth or people in general.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Good Stuff, looks like even though he gives you a hard time- you have gotten through to him
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    This truly is a great story. I myself am a teacher and it is absolutely the best feeling when kids do things like this; it is the reason why I teach. Kudos to you for making a difference!!! :D
    "You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    soultune0330soultune0330 Posts: 124
    That is an amazing gift from a student. I am an elementary teacher and I think PJ is somewhat lost on the younger kids - but trust me, they get exposed to the music:) There have been a few kids over the years that have walked away talking about Pearl Jam and hopefully still like it to this day! Enjoy teacher appreciation week! I'll take your extra copy if you don't need it! Kidding - you should donate it like you said. Have a great Friday.
    Summerfest - Jul 08, 1995 / Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Oct 08, 2000
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998 / Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003 / Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 21, 2003
    Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004
    United Center - May 16, 2006 / United Center - May 17, 2006
    Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006 /Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006
    United Center - Aug 23, 2009
  • Options
    thanks guys, like I said, it really made my day :D
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    That is an amazing gift from a student. I am an elementary teacher and I think PJ is somewhat lost on the younger kids - but trust me, they get exposed to the music:) There have been a few kids over the years that have walked away talking about Pearl Jam and hopefully still like it to this day! Enjoy teacher appreciation week! I'll take your extra copy if you don't need it! Kidding - you should donate it like you said. Have a great Friday.
    I have a few students that like or even know who they are- Rockband has helped us out there :mrgreen:

I would hook you up with this, but maybe I'll do the wishlish thing or a drawling, D style :mrgreen:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    Great Story. It is actions like these that allow those of us in the profession to get through all of the bureaucracy that surrounds the job. I use Pearl Jam in my History of Thought(Philosophy) class on a regular basis. We interperet lyrics and the last two years I have put together a unit on Life's Journey using ITW to illustrate the journey and chioces we all make in life. The students at the high school level love the film and many have been converted and rush out to by the soundtrack. I have even had students use and perform songs from the soundtrack as part of a song interpretation assignment. Glad to see so many in the Jamily are passing on the knowledge.
    RFK 6/13/98 -Tibetan Freedom, Pittsburgh 8/25/98, Merriweather Post 9/4/00, Grand Rapids 10/03/04 - MoveOn.org, Palace of Auburn Hills 5/22/06, Grant Park 8/05/07 - Lollapalooza, Verizon Center, DC 6/22/08, Chicago 8/22/08 - EDDIE, Baltimore 6/14/09 - EDDIE, United Center 8/23/09, Verizon Wireless 5/7/10
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Terrific idea. We'd be lost without teachers. Thanks for all that you do.

And that story... GREAT story! You might want to consider thanking him one on one rather than in front of the class though. If he gives you that much trouble he probably would be pretty embarrassed with a public "thank you." Then again it might be a good way to get him back for the trouble. ;)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    I come from a teaching family... My Dad, my Mum, my older and twin brother have all been or are teachers.

I have the utmost respect for what they and many more do, it's a hard and often thankless job.

Here's to teachers! :mrgreen:

(including our very own Wash_ :D )
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    I come from a teaching family... My Dad, my Mum, my older and twin brother have all been or are teachers.

I have the utmost respect for what they and many more do, it's a hard and often thankless job.

Emma is a teacher!?
  • Options
    Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    I BrisK I wrote:

Emma is a teacher!?

She certainly is :mrgreen:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    edited May 2009
    Cool story!

I have been a teacher for the last eight years (high school English). It's funny how often the students who give you the hardest time are the ones who thank you in ways like this, or come back years down the road to tell you how much they enjoyed your class.

It probably has something to do with them giving ALL their teachers a hard time, but only a select few teachers actually caring enough to make an effort with them anyway.

Also, I'll jump on the ITW bandwagon. I use the film and a number of songs from the soundtrack during our unit on transcendentalism and the kids absolutely devour it. There's something thrilling about exposing a bunch of urban teenagers who normally listen to 2Pac or Christina Aguilera to Eddie Vedder and having them actually enjoy it. :D
    Post edited by walkunafraid on
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    I appreciate Roger! yay Rog! now go buy us tickets for Chicago you hack LOL
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    24veddie24veddie Posts: 267
    I am very impressed with the respect for teachers on here. Lovely!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    petrocs wrote:
    I appreciate Roger! yay Rog! now go buy us tickets for Chicago you hack LOL
    :lol::lol:

Thanks everyone!
    Post edited by LukinFan on
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Terrific idea. We'd be lost without teachers. Thanks for all that you do.

And that story... GREAT story! You might want to consider thanking him one on one rather than in front of the class though. If he gives you that much trouble he probably would be pretty embarrassed with a public "thank you." Then again it might be a good way to get him back for the trouble. ;)
    oh yeah, for sure :mrgreen:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com