Best PJ show of '98?

Comments

• Fuckin Up! St. Louis 98

Brendan O'Brien was there.

set: Oceans, Hail Hail, Brain of J, Spin the Black Circle, Tremor Christ, Given to Fly, In Hiding, Corduroy, MFC, Wishlist, Nothingman, Improv/Habit, Even Flow, Daughter/(Institutionalized), Immortality, Black, Alive
    enc 1: Do the Evolution, Jeremy, I Got Shit, Better Man/(Save it for Later), Fuckin' Up
    enc 2: Yellow Ledbetter
    notes: Excellent show with the opening songs totally rocked out. Band looks really happy and playing great. 'Oceans' is a beautiful opener and 'In Hiding' is one of the finest versions played. 'Nothingman' is introduced as a song about a man who "not only couldn't change the world ... he couldn't even take care of himself." 'Institutionalized' is a Suicidal Tendencies cover ("I'm not crazy, you're the one who's crazy ... institution.") 'Fuckin' Up' is a total surprise! Great crowd.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • I was at the Seattle show in 98 and I remember Ed making a crack about the crowd being kind of subdued and asleep. All the sudden that got them all fired up.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • with ben harper.....it was an awesome night
  • Pittsburgh. Fist pj show. emotional night.
    1998: Pitt
    2000: Pitt
    2003: Pitt, State College, Columbus,DC, Hershey
    2004: Reading, Toledo, DC
    2005: Pitt
    2006: Cleve, Camden 1+2, DC, Pitt, Cinci
    2008: Camden 1+2, DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Columbus
    2012: Philly
    2013: Pitt, NYC 1+2
  • Msg 2 - The Best!
    http://www.myspace.com/cravingstrangemusic <- my band
    MSG - NYC - 9-10-1998
    MSG - NYC - 9-11-1998 (BEST FKING SHOW!)
    Jones Beach - 8-25-2000
    Nassau Coliseum - 4-30-2003
    Irving Plaza - 5-5-06 (another great show)
    New Jersey - 6-1-06
    MSG - NYC - 6.24.08
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,671
    I can't believe no one has mentioned this show !!

08/22/98 - Molson Park: Barrie, Ontario [125m]
    attendance: 35,000
    support act: Cheap Trick, All Systems Go, Hayden, Cracker, Matthew Good Band
    soundcheck: Not for You (snippet), Corduroy (short), I Got Shit, MFC
    set: Corduroy, Brain of J, Hail Hail, Animal, Dissident, Given to Fly, MFC, Habit, Wishlist, Even Flow, Daughter/(Surrender), In Hiding, Jeremy, State of Love and Trust, Nothingman, Better Man, Leatherman, Alive
    enc 1: Immortality, Rearviewmirror, Last Exit, I Got Shit/(Cinnamon Girl), Black, Do the Evolution
    enc 2: Yellow Ledbetter
    notes: As Cheap Trick is performing, various members of PJ are spotted rocking out (and Mike taking photos through a small hole cut in the black cloth enveloping the scaffolding!), including Ed doing chinups and swinging on the scaffolding poles like a monkey and then holding his hand out, practically above his head, snapping his fingers rapidly with Rick Nielsen acknowledging him and grinning. During the first few songs, someone tosses a football and Ed catches it and looks around as if to say, "What the hell?!" Then he says, "check this out" and he flings his shoe off his foot simply by throwing his leg up in the air and kicks the ball 40 yards into the crowd. After 'Animal,' Ed addresses the crowd for the first time: "We made it, looks beautiful out there, we'll try to do it better than last time we played here, I feel better, I'm Ed Vedder." During 'Habit,' Ed changes the "speaking as" line to "speaking as a dumb-ass, beer-drinking, propaganda-believing, missile-shooting, American." 'Surrender' is a Cheap Trick song. Right before 'State,' Ed refers to a Mike having a special guest, and Mike plays the song with one of Rick Nielsen's guitars. 'Nothingman' is highlighted with lightning bolts on the backdrop. During 'Leatherman,' Ed's guitar cuts out during the break, Matt just keeps drumming. Then: "Driving in today, I saw two of the coolest things I've ever seen: First I saw a guy wearing a watermelon on his head [laughing] - that guy's Canadian of the year; then I saw the most amazing thing I've ever seen on the tour: I saw a guy with a truck, and in the back of a truck he had a couch, a chair, a fridge ... this song's about a bad-ass, the people up front are a bunch of bad-asses, the people in the back are a bunch of bad-asses; you're all a bunch of bad-asses." During Mike's 'Alive' solo, Ed is walking along the speaker stands, dancing and pointing and jumping up and down. "Next time we come here - actually there might not be a next time - I don't know if you know this, but the Doomsday Clock was pushed forward a few minutes, the Doomsday Clock is now at 5 minutes to midnight; you guys don't know what I'm talking about, do you - it means we're all gonna die, fuckers ..." leading to 'Immortality.' 'Do the Evolution' features the new video on the backdrop. A great crowd with Ed acknowledging: "Next time we'll do three shows in smaller venues so we can get the same number of people in." When the band takes the stage for 'Yellow Ledbetter,' the crowd noise is unbelievable and Ed covers his ears! He changes the lyrics from "don't ever wanna feel this way again" to "am never gonna have this much fun again." Ed appears not to want to leave, staring at the cheering crowd and leaving with his hand placed over his heart
  • Mansfield, MA 9/16/98. Hands down.

Eddie did "Throw Your Arms Around Me" as his preset. The band opened with "Release" and were spot-on the entire night. Best versions of "Dissident," "Given to Fly," "Porch," and "Betterman/Save It For Later" I have ever heard.

Also the show featuring Eddie's famous quarter rant.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    MSG 2

runner up: Mansfield 2
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    FrankBauer wrote:
    i was at that show too. 3rd row center. closest i've ever been to the stage with assigned seating. that was back when 10C determined seating partially based on how fast you mailed in your order form. i remember they broke out some songs that were considered more rare like immortality and footsteps and ended with baba. and the hail hail opener was kickass.

another memorable show was the day before in pittsburgh where they broke out "no way" after saying, "no way" to requests of playing "no way." great moment...
    i was 3rd room too!!I remember before the show we had no idea where our seats were. as the usher took us closer and closer to the stage my friend and i basically flipped out! she took us to the third row, dead center and we started hugging, people were clapping for us... ahh to be 17 and at my first pj show again. oh and eddie flipped us off too!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Vegas sucked ass!

yep - bad crowd and an even worse venue. I swore off the Thomas and Mack Center years ago :p.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    vancouver cause i was there and it was my first show and they played baba and opened with sometimes and played leavin here and Ed came into the crowd and it was awesome and i never looked back

definitly,a great show done by petition.ed in the crowd.new version of rvm.
    mind u seattle 1+2 were nice too. but it was hot,hot hot.
    oh,and then maui 98 was very nice,with a nice tropical breeze,laying on the grass. any one of those. vancouver was wicked though
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    I only went to the Vegas show, which was not one of the better PJ shows I'd been too. Was supposed to go to LA shows but the non-PJ friend who I was travelling was quite ill so had to give em a miss, gutted!
    As for best shows I've got boots of the Melbourne, Seattle and Boston shows, hard call, all good shows.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • missoula!!
    beautiful summer weather & outdoor stadium...
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    imalive wrote:
    yep - bad crowd and an even worse venue. I swore off the Thomas and Mack Center years ago :p.

Crowd was horrible! Never a good sign when you piss off Ed before PJ even takes the stage!That's the first and only time that I fell down at a show in the mix with people toppling on top of me. Not fun at all!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • BinFrog wrote:
    Montreal 98 was an UNREAL show and I'd kill to have a soundboard. Still to this day it's the best crowd I have ever been a part of.

9/16/98 MA was great too.

that's great to hear as sometimes you never know if what you saw was as good as you think...thank's for confirming that. ...thatbeing said if you ever come across a boot of that show let me know...it would be cool to have. thanks.
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505
    ~virginia beach, baby!~

because is was the FIRST show of the tour!!!!!!!!!
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Maui. Feb. 20 and 21. Faithful both nights but on the first night I really heard it.

Seattle July 21. Black - One of the best renditions I've ever heard. EV held a note near the end that was heart crushing.
    We were dehydrated, sore and tired but still alive.
    Hold On
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I'm not sure how much love this show gets on the board but I thought the Dallas 98 show was pretty damn good. I didn't get to attend :( but from the recording that surfaced and the notes on 5H I was pretty impressed.

Highlights for me particularly are
    sometimes as an opener
    Immortality was played
    Pilate was played
    In Hiding was played
    Dennis Rodman made an appearance though from friends that went (said he become obnoxious).
    Sonic reducer was played to end the show.
    Man I wanted to go to this so bad, thank god, pj is boot trading friendly though! :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Minneapolis was the worst show ever.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • LUV2ROCKLUV2ROCK Posts: 140
    Minneapolis was the worst show ever.

Fuck Off
    73,XXX

Member since day 1 here in August 2003
  • PJ MSG 98 Night 2
    Baba, and Eddie climbing the rig during Alive!

PJ West Palm Coral Sky Night 2
    Last Show of the Yield Tour....and of course Smile!
  • LUV2ROCK wrote:
    Fuck Off

He was trying to get a rise out of me. Pay him no attention.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • I'm just curious because i live so close, but how good was the Knoxville show? did any of you all go? I've listened to the boot, but I couldn't really tell much from that.
  • I'm just curious because i live so close, but how good was the Knoxville show? did any of you all go? I've listened to the boot, but I couldn't really tell much from that.

Mr Bottle? Your thoughts?
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • laudenum wrote:
    definitly,a great show done by petition.ed in the crowd.new version of rvm.
    mind u seattle 1+2 were nice too. but it was hot,hot hot.
    oh,and then maui 98 was very nice,with a nice tropical breeze,laying on the grass. any one of those. vancouver was wicked though

what do you mean done by petition???
    another thing i loved about the show was that they tagged Hey hey my my by neil and played baba by the who, thus exposing me to their biggest influences....i had listened to the who and neil a lot before of course, but i just thought it was cool for my first show to get such a nice little package....it was probably not THE BEST, cuz i have the dvd of MSG 9/11/98 and wow, but its safe to say that with all the mentions of each show here, THE 1998 TOUR KICKED ASS!!!!

07/19/98 - Pacific Coliseum: Vancouver, British Columbia [113m]
    attendance: 14,000-15,000
    support act: Frank Black
    soundcheck: Not for You, MFC, Off He Goes, Last Kiss, I Got You, Hail Hail
    set: Sometimes, Go, Hail Hail, Brain of J, Dissident, Even Flow, Given to Fly, Corduroy, MFC, Lukin, Wishlist, Jeremy, Daughter/(Hey Hey My My), Not for You, Off He Goes, Better Man, Rearviewmirror, Black, Last Exit
    enc 1: Do the Evolution, Nothingman, Alive, Leaving Here
    enc 2: Yellow Ledbetter, BABA O'RILEY!!!!
    notes: Band is relaxed and playing well; however, the crowd is a little too sedate. The set is cut short with "Last Exit," Eddie inciting the crowd by doing these Vegas-style lunges towards the crowd. This all changes with an incredibly intense 'DTE' and is culminated when, during 'Alive,' Eddie walks around the stage, applauding the kids dancing in the empty seats in the back, and CLIMBS INTO THE CROWD for more than a few minutes. The band returns to play 'Yellow Ledbetter,' and are about to leave when Eddie goes over to the band members and asks them if they feel like one more, picks up a tambourine, and, yep, 'Baba O'Riley' bringing the house down.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • fanfan Posts: 12
    Camden night 1.........PJ returns after many years, opening with Release in only candle light with 32,000 people.............Hard to Imagine!!
  • LA 2, Great Western Forum. We actually showed up for LA 1, sat in our seats, 4th row in front of Mike, got ready to rock, when someone said we were sitting in their seats. Turned out we had tickets for the next night, nobody noticed until we sat down.
    We were given the choice to stay, in some cheesy seats, or return the following night, we we begrudingly did.
    Talk about a letdown, but the next night was fantastic. Tenacious D opened, X played a blistering set. And of course the band was tight and the music was great.
    All together now...
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    gozzo5058 wrote:
    montreal '98, but i'm biased as that was my first pj show and i remember it as a heck of a show.

was just my 2nd show, but the 1st time i met and spoke to Ed :)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Mr Bottle? Your thoughts?

It is high on my list because it was my first show. Band (Ed) didn't seem to be too thrilled to be in Vol country that night and he made it known to the crowd.

They played a great selection of YIELD songs and threw in rare gem (HTI) which, after that show, went into hiding for nearly 7 years.

It may not have been the best one of the tour, but for my first show, I wouldn't change my experience.

Opening with Long Road was worth the 6 hour drive alone.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    what do you mean done by petition???
    another thing i loved about the show was that they tagged Hey hey my my by neil and played baba by the who, thus exposing me to their biggest influences....i had listened to the who and neil a lot before of course, but i just thought it was cool for my first show to get such a nice little package....it was probably not THE BEST, cuz i have the dvd of MSG 9/11/98 and wow, but its safe to say that with all the mentions of each show here, THE 1998 TOUR KICKED ASS!!!!

07/19/98 - Pacific Coliseum: Vancouver, British Columbia [113m]
    attendance: 14,000-15,000
    support act: Frank Black
    soundcheck: Not for You, MFC, Off He Goes, Last Kiss, I Got You, Hail Hail
    set: Sometimes, Go, Hail Hail, Brain of J, Dissident, Even Flow, Given to Fly, Corduroy, MFC, Lukin, Wishlist, Jeremy, Daughter/(Hey Hey My My), Not for You, Off He Goes, Better Man, Rearviewmirror, Black, Last Exit
    enc 1: Do the Evolution, Nothingman, Alive, Leaving Here
    enc 2: Yellow Ledbetter, BABA O'RILEY!!!!
    notes: Band is relaxed and playing well; however, the crowd is a little too sedate. The set is cut short with "Last Exit," Eddie inciting the crowd by doing these Vegas-style lunges towards the crowd. This all changes with an incredibly intense 'DTE' and is culminated when, during 'Alive,' Eddie walks around the stage, applauding the kids dancing in the empty seats in the back, and CLIMBS INTO THE CROWD for more than a few minutes. The band returns to play 'Yellow Ledbetter,' and are about to leave when Eddie goes over to the band members and asks them if they feel like one more, picks up a tambourine, and, yep, 'Baba O'Riley' bringing the house down.

it was a petition by a local radio station. we were squeezed in between portland and the 2 seattle shows(which were damn good).
    thats why i think the band was really having a good time,as the petition showed that everyone there wanted them to be there.
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd