Options

Happy Record Store Day! :)

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,153
edited April 2009 in The Porch
https://www.pearljam.com/news/record-store-day

Hi 10clubbers. Some of you may know of my past life as a record store employee. That’s right, I got my start at Rockin’ Rudy’s Record Rental on Higgins Avenue in Missoula, MT. I worked there for 17 years before moving on to Amoeba Records in San Francisco and Ten Club after that. I’m proud to have spent so much time behind the counter learning and teaching about music and I couldn’t be happier that all that hard work led me to where I am today.

Saturday, April 18th marks National Record Store Day http://recordstoreday.com/Home. It’s a day where EVERYONE should make an effort to get out and enjoy the coolest place in the neighborhood…The Record Store. Even if you have to drive across town…or further…drop in and show your support.

I love my Record Store history and I love my neighborhood Record Store (hi Adam). I hope to see some of you good people out at the festivities on Saturday.

Viva la Vinyl!!!

Tim B.

28094601.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    2nd that.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    i went between ev tix on sale and wilco tix on sale and spent more money than on my ticket purchases.. lol.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    I plan on stopping by my local dealers today
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I was actually holdin out hope that PJ was aware of it and was gonna surprise everybody with the Holiday Singles.

Maybe somethin for them to keep in mind for next year.

No place I've called has any of the stuff I wanted, and the Mastodon release was pushed back, so my excitement is pretty well at zero, right now.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    I was lucky enough to work in an independent record store for about three years. It was one of the most fun and interesting things I've ever done and I met some of my best friends there. I don't live in he same town any more (I'm an hour away), but I'm going back today to support them and pick a few things up.

Tell everyone you know to go and buy a record or a cd today and support their local shop/community/economy. Unfortunately they're a dying breed. Let's do what we can to keep them around. I'd like to give some other person the same opportunity I had. ;)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    I wish I had a independent record store in my area! I have an hour and a half drive to the closest one, nothing but Best Buy around me. So those of you that have'em please support them as much as you can. I use Newbury Comics when I order my music to do my part!

Enjoy some of the limited releases today!
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Just came back from Newbury Comics and picked up Green Day's Dookie on vinyl and the 7" Sublime single. When purchasing, I got a goodie bag filled with 6-8 7" singles, a bunch of sample CD's and a few DVD's. Also got the 12" Record Store Day w/sample tracks. All and all a very eventful morning. I'm glad I went.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    does anyone know if any pj promos will be sold? i called on over to my local vintage vinyl and the girl had no clue
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,618
    just got back. got the MMJ record but missed out on the Gaslight Anthem 10 inch.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    does anyone know if any pj promos will be sold? i called on over to my local vintage vinyl and the girl had no clue

same with my local record stores. :|
  • Options
    I just got back from my local Newbury! Bought Prince's Purple Rain, Van Morrison's Moondance and A Bob Dylan 7" that came out today of Dreamin' Of You and a song from bonnaroo
  • Options
    Johnny WongJohnny Wong Wauwatosa, WI Posts: 193
    picked up the MMJ Live EP and The Wilco DVD (which is AMAZING) today. Also got a real cool bag of goodies thrown in. Thanks Exclusive Company Milwaukee...!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  • Options
    kineticjamkineticjam Posts: 154
    was at record store in Manayunk, PA today. Was great live music and everything!!!!
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,565
    I visited my local record store today. Got whole bunch of records too!
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:

any yeah yeah yeah's? ;)
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    I had to work all day and by the time I got out my local (meaning about 35 miles away) record store was closed. :(
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    I stopped by my local record store as well. was hoping to pick up the limited edition my morning jacket live ep, but unfortunately they only got 1 in at is was gone as they opened the store. so as a consolation, I picked up the Bob 7" as well.
  • Options
    Looked quickly at my local record store (in West Portal) and all I found were albums form the 70s and 80s like FMac and B.Adams. No PJ. :(
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    I went today and bought 10" double LP Amnesiac,MMJ (at dawn), Arctic Monkeys unreleased demos and live in Amsterdam vinyl,2 bowie records, and The WHo by numbers..... :geek:
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    DB41DB41 Posts: 539
    edited April 2009
    demetrios wrote:
    SOLAT319 wrote:

any yeah yeah yeah's? ;)

At Criminal Records in Toronto, they gave me a Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Zero" 7' for free, as well as "PF" by Controller Controller. They gave out balloons that had a piece of paper inside so when you pop them you find out what your prize is. That's what I won. Not bad but I have no idea who Controller Controller are. But still a fun promotion by the store.
    Also got the Dylan "Dreamin' of You" 7" single and The Smiths "The Headmaster Ritual." I really wanted the Dead Weather single and the Tom Waits one and checked three stores but the guy said there was a screw up and Canada didn't get a lot of the stuff that was released for Record Store Day...... lame.
    Post edited by DB41 on
  • Options
    serpent boyserpent boy Virginia Beach Posts: 372
    I visited Crooked Beat Records in Washington, D.C. to celebrate. They ran out of most of the limited presses for the day by the time I got there, but I still bought an M. Ward record and a Cat Power DVD. I really wanted that Flaming Lips/Black Keys split or Yeah Yeah Yeahs record! :)
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Options
    st1st1 Posts: 143
    I spent way too much money at two different record stores yesterday -- Princeton Music Exchange, and then Siren Records. Both places had a great selection of the new releases as well as cool used items.
  • Options
    I visited Crooked Beat Records in Washington, D.C. to celebrate. They ran out of most of the limited presses for the day by the time I got there, but I still bought an M. Ward record and a Cat Power DVD. I really wanted that Flaming Lips/Black Keys split or Yeah Yeah Yeahs record! :)

Insound still got In Blitz! lp with 7" single "Zero" b/w "Zero (Animal Collective Remix) for sale! :)

http://www.insound.com/search/searchmai ... s+Blitz+LP