Options

Why I should take my mom to see EV

Nats310Nats310 Posts: 38
edited April 2009 in The Porch
My mom was one of those people -- you know, the ones who tolerate your love for PJ but don't really seem to get it. So, when Eddie was playing the Wiltern last year, I flew in from Nashville and invited her to go. She grudgingly agreed, with the caveat that we would only go to one show and that she would be able to pick the activity for my 2nd day in LA. I mean, to her mind, she had put up with my PJ fanaticism for 15 years, and a trip to the zoo seemed more exciting to her.

She hadn't been to a concert in over 30 years (!), and the last show she saw was Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young -- when there was still a Young with CSN. Anyway, we got to the theater early, and waited with a bunch of 10C presale ticket holder. She was not amused by the wait (although she made friends with everyone in a ten-person radius), and kept threatening that if the show wasn't good, I would owe her bit time.

We got inside, got to our seats, and maybe being that close to the stage -- 2nd row -- was what first got her excited. Maybe it was when she got riled up over the WM3, an issue I explained to her once she read the program. It wasn't Liam Finn, who she later claimed was intentionally trying to damage her hearing.

All I know is that by the time the show was over, my mom was in love. Before the show, I'd sent her a few PJ and solo songs, and now she listens to "Hard Sun" incessantly. Incessantly! And then wants to talk about it. Now, she's at least 12 - 15 years older than the guys, but she now teases me and calls EV my "step-dad," which freaks me out to no end since I still have that 13-year-old inside me that had a mad crush on him. And, my dad -- who looks surprisingly like Bob Balaban -- is both still alive and still married to her; he just shrugs when she starts telling me that she loves EV because he touched her soul or something, and is clearly not threatened by the long-haired, baritone upstart who seduced his wife with music.

So, when she jokingly suggested that she come visit me, say, around the 3rd week of June, I knew what was up. There's only room for one freaky EV/PJ fan in the family, and I claim seniority. And, I'm pretty sure that he'd be in danger of a big, matronly hug if she got close enough this time. But, when I see him in Memphis, Nashville and Atlanta (because I'm going for the trifecta), I will think of her and how excited she got when we got close enough to touch the stage -- and EV, who was nice enough to shake hands with the middle-age hippy redhead who was giggling like a teenager -- during her favorite song.

I just thought that, since we all have that first PJ/EV moment, you all would appreciate her conversion to the dark side. And, I bet you all know how to deal with PJ newbies better than I'm dealing with her -- there's a lot of the "Mo-om!" groaning going on whenever she gets started. I saw messages on this board about people hoping their kids grow up to like PJ -- I am lucky enough to have a mom who "grew up" to love my favorite band.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Cool post!
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    that was fucking awesome!

my mom is the same age as ed. she's was at the 5/25/06 Boston Show. 9/28/04 boston show. 7/6/06 vegas show. and she saw ed 8/1/08
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    i brought my mom to the second EV show in boston and got 3rd row! its good karma! she loved it to
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    nice post! thats cool he shook ur moms hand.

my parents are younger than all the guys in PJ. my dads forcing me to take him to EV/PJ when they play here lol
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    Great post...u r lucky to have such a cool mom :mrgreen:
    It's funny when things change so much
    It's all state of mind

Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff

You think you hate it now, wait till you drive it...

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
  • Options
    I'm taking my mom to see Ed in Memphis on night 1. She's also seen the band 4 times since 2000 and is a bit upset that they've not played our area since 2004.
    I wish I were the verb "to trust" and never let you down
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    that was fucking awesome!

my mom is the same age as ed. she's was at the 5/25/06 Boston Show. 9/28/04 boston show. 7/6/06 vegas show. and she saw ed 8/1/08

christ...your mom is a year older than my husband and younger than both my older sisters...... :oops: hahahahaha.

to the OP....beautiful story! the love of great music knows no bounds! how cool for you and your mom - enjoy it all! 8-)

PJ_kidd wrote:
    nice post! thats cool he shook ur moms hand.

my parents are younger than all the guys in PJ. my dads forcing me to take him to EV/PJ when they play here lol

oh my...woweeeeeeeeeeeeee! :dd i should leave this thread..... :mrgreen: yikes!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Loved your story and lovely writing as well!

I know if Ed ever made a show in this part of the world I'd take my grandmother with my 10c spare whithout thinking twice about it. She put up with my PJ obssesion since I was a teenager :D She'd love him, she likes his solo stuff.
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,096
    What a nice story, made me feel all warm and fuzzy reading it ........you should definately take your mum to another show :)
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    What a great story and the way you wrote was even better! :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Just terrific! That part about her teasing you about eV being your Step-Dad sounds like something I'd do. Go mom!
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,858
    Wonderful story....
    Just Awesome!!!!!!!!!

you should post here more often.....

because im sick and fucking tired of everyone else who posts here.......hehehehe

YOU are a breath of fresh air!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give mom a hug and take her to the show!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    good stuff, glad to hear that you mother is now a fan, watch out she may start posting on the board now...
    God Loves Pearl Jam
  • Options
    This is such a great post ... Thanks soooo much for sharing. Good story, and good writing. You just made me laugh out loud. You've also made me think about taking my mom to an EV solo show someday. Thank you! :D
  • Options
    Rjonesrm20Rjonesrm20 Posts: 380
    awesome story.....i did the same by inviting my mom to meet me in Chicago last year for the last EV show ...i flew in from Phoenix and she flew in from Cincinnati...first time she had been to Chicago and also her first time seeing Eddie, but she listens to PJ and his solo stuff. I had 10c seats and ended up about 20 rows back, still great seats!...i've never seen her so excited in my entire life, plus she got to see Eddie and Sean Penn after the show so she was in heaven!
    Now i gotta get her to go see PJ this year, I dont think i'll have to twist her arm!
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2