Options

Pearl Jam makes surprise visit to Atlanta Film Festival

brainofebrainofe Posts: 263
edited April 2009 in The Porch
By MARCUS K. GARNER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pearl Jam, the rock band born from the ’90s “grunge” movement, made a surprise visit Thursday to opening night of the Atlanta Film Festival.

The quintet made a low-key entrance to the festival — avoiding the red carpet — to see lead singer Eddie Vedder’s appearance in the Tony Sacco film, “The People Speak,” festival executive director Gabriel Wardell said.

Vedder will participate in a Q and A after the film ends around 10 p.m., Wardell said.

The group debuted in 1991 with the chart-topping album “Ten,” and followed with consecutive Billboard No. 1 albums “Vs.,” “Vitalogy,” and “No Code.”

Pearl Jam won their only Grammy in 1995 for the record “Spin the Black Circle.”

Wardell said the group was in town making a new album with Atlanta producer Brendan O’Brien, the mastermind behind several of Pearl Jam’s hit albums and Bruce Springstein’s Grammy-winning Best Rock album “The Rising,” and latest work, “Working on a Dream.”

http://www.accessatlanta.com/music/cont ... id=thbz_hm
Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    sick.

i really hope some album news comes out soon.

i am itching to read anything about it.
  • Options
    brainofebrainofe Posts: 263
    I hadn't heard about this film until I read this article, anyway I found this:

http://thepeoplespeak.com/index.php
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Backspacer is supposed to be back home in time (in the fall) for the new PJ album...seems that is almost a confirmation that the album will be out in the fall... ;)
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,565
    brainofe wrote:
    By MARCUS K. GARNER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pearl Jam, the rock band born from the ’90s “grunge” movement, made a surprise visit Thursday to opening night of the Atlanta Film Festival.

The quintet made a low-key entrance to the festival — avoiding the red carpet — to see lead singer Eddie Vedder’s appearance in the Tony Sacco film, “The People Speak,” festival executive director Gabriel Wardell said.

Vedder will participate in a Q and A after the film ends around 10 p.m., Wardell said.

The group debuted in 1991 with the chart-topping album “Ten,” and followed with consecutive Billboard No. 1 albums “Vs.,” “Vitalogy,” and “No Code.”

Pearl Jam won their only Grammy in 1995 for the record “Spin the Black Circle.”

Wardell said the group was in town making a new album with Atlanta producer Brendan O’Brien, the mastermind behind several of Pearl Jam’s hit albums and Bruce Springstein’s Grammy-winning Best Rock album “The Rising,” and latest work, “Working on a Dream.”

http://www.accessatlanta.com/music/cont ... id=thbz_hm

I know this will not sound "sensitive or artsy" enough to some of you all but the most important part of that article to me was the fact that "they are in town recording with Brendan O'Brien :D
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Outside of The Rialto tonight, has anybody had any sightings around town yet?
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,565
    Aw shit! It just occurred to me, will this mean a secret show in Atlanta???
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    jmkjmk Posts: 425
    Its great that the band is recording more songs!

I just checked the trailer for that movie. No Eddie in the trailer but in the cast it said:

Eddie Vedder

* Bob Dylan, “Masters of War” (1963)“
    * Here’s to the State of Mississippi” (2006 rewrite of a Phil Ochs song by Tim Robbins)
    * “No More” (2008)

So apparently these performances is seen or heard in the film. I wonder if they show a clip of Here’s to the State of Mississippi from the Bridge School concert in 2006.
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • Options
    They recorded in LA. So I would say the recording is done and it is getting mixed and mastered by Brendan at his house.
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    They recorded in LA. So I would say the recording is done and it is getting mixed and mastered by Brendan at his house.

I'm pretty sure they have recorded in Atlanta before. I forget exactly which album but I do remember thinking about it when I visited my sis in ATL.
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I believe parts of No Code were recorded in Atlanta.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 675
    I didn't get to see anyone but Eddie. But then again I didn't know anyone else was there until Eddie left the stage so they probably wouldn't have been around by then anyway.
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Staceb10 wrote:
    I didn't get to see anyone but Eddie. But then again I didn't know anyone else was there until Eddie left the stage so they probably wouldn't have been around by then anyway.

Please post your pictures! :D
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I wonder if they will be in town all weekend for the record?

Perhaps they will stop by Criminal Records to support national record store day.

I am going to pick up the wilco dvd.... maybe they will be there

okay i know that is probalby stretching it but :P
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130

I'm pretty sure they have recorded in Atlanta before. I forget exactly which album but I do remember thinking about it when I visited my sis in ATL.

I think work was done for both Vitalogy and No Code. If I remember right ATL is where they recorded and ultimately and premiered several of the songs from Vitalogy at the Atlanta 94 show. Also, there's the pic of the maps in No Code's jacket that shows Seattle, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Chicago.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    Maybe they'll still be in town next week and put in an appearance at the Springsteen show on the 26th! That would make my life complete. :D
  • Options
    stateeshastateesha Posts: 274
    jmk wrote:
    Its great that the band is recording more songs!

I just checked the trailer for that movie. No Eddie in the trailer but in the cast it said:

Eddie Vedder

* Bob Dylan, “Masters of War” (1963)“
    * Here’s to the State of Mississippi” (2006 rewrite of a Phil Ochs song by Tim Robbins)
    * “No More” (2008)

So apparently these performances is seen or heard in the film. I wonder if they show a clip of Here’s to the State of Mississippi from the Bridge School concert in 2006.

Actually, only Masters of War and No More made it into the film. We spoke with Chris Moore afterwards and he said that the History Channel is going to show the film but only 90 minutes of it so he thinks the more recent stuff (the part No More is in) will be cut from the film for TV. Not sure about Masters of War though.
    92 Atlanta; 93 Boulder; 94 Denver 1-2; 95 Red Rocks 1-2; 96 Charlotte, Charleston; 98 Atlanta, Greenville, Knoxville, Columbia, Washington; 99 Bridge 1-2; 00 Atlanta, Vegas; 01 Bridge 1-2, Seattle; 02 Seattle; 03 Vegas, Bridge 1-2; 04 Asheville; 05 Toronto; 06 E. Ruth 1-2, Hawaii 1-2; 07 London; 08 Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Hartford, Boston 1 & 2, Beacon
  • Options
    jmkjmk Posts: 425

When was it Mike said on the radio that they had recorder 14 songs and were about halfway done? I do believe they are recording more songs in Atlanta. For how long did they record in LA?

I don't know if Mike meant that they were halfway done with recording new songs or with the album being done for a release (done with mixing, mastering, artwork etc.)?
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    I was there last night. Ed signed some things after the Q&A while on the stage then he went backstage and stayed there for an hour or so. When he came out to leave through the back entrance, there were a group of us, approx 10 people waiting. He had already signed my Into the Wild cd sleeve inside, so although I could have gotten something else signed, I didn't becuase that would have been tacky. In this group, there were a few autograph hounds who had gotten 4 or 5 things signed already, but still proceeded to get him to sign other gear. Although he owes me nothing, I requested he allow my wife to take a picture of he and I, and he just wouldn't do it. It was strange, but like I said, he's certainly is not required to do any of it. I say this not to be critical of Ed, but to praise Mike. While Ed and Jeff were back stage, Mike was out with the common folk at the after party. He could not have been more down to earth and approachable. He allowed autographs, and allowed me and my wife to get seperate photos with him. It was so refreshing to have invested so much time and money in a band (which I feel has been a bargain for me) and when the occasion came to finally meet the lead guitarist, he wasn't a tool. It was just a few minutes of his life, but it helped me feel more comfortable about my support and love of the band. Overall, it was a cool experience. The movie had more of a college lecture feel to it than documentary/motion picture.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    Brendan O'Brien is from Atlanta and I believe Pearl Jam has recorded in Atlanta many times with Brendan...for sure Vs. and likely all of the others. Ed joked at one of the shows I saw in Atlanta that he thinks PJ has played in Atlanta as many times, if not more, than local Atlanta bands. Of course they haven't played in Atlanta since 2003. Closest they got was Bonnaroo last year. Rumor had it that PJ didn't want to play "red states". I've always hoped that wasn't true but have thought it odd that they've taken such a long break from being in Atlanta when they have strong ties to the city. Very happy Ed is coming in June. It'll be nice to not have to travel for a show for a change. Since my first PJ show in '94 at The Fox in Atlanta (Best show ever by far!) I've had to travel, sometimes out of the country, for 8 out of 12 shows I've seen.