Options

Pretty Cool Connection!

nastarclannastarclan Posts: 2
edited April 2009 in The Porch
So as a very old (at 39) Pearl Jam freak, I am blessed to have my 16 year old son be as obsessed with PJ as I am! We make our family crazy and live to find something to sing, discuss, or bitch about regarding Pearl Jam! As a young parent, it is pretty cool to connect with your kid in the music arena.

When things get rough (with a teenager), you always have Pearl Jam to turn on and shut him up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yellowporchyellowporch Posts: 510
    Totally cool. I wish my dad liked pj as much as I did...
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,952
    when i step up, & become a father, hopefully my kids will like thy pearl jam. won't force them into it, but the house they will be born & raised in will be plaqued with pearl jam goodies! plus where the wife goes, will make sure there will be headphones around that tummy shouting out sweet tunes!

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482
    nastarclan, you at 39 are a youngster! There are a bunch of us 50-somethings on here! I agree -- it's really cool to share music with your kids. My 23 year old daughter & 25 year old son go to the concerts with me.
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    i'm 28 with a 1 year old. she won't be able to avoid listening to my music and i hope she takes after me and not her mom :lol:

as long as she hates creed i'll be happy!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    3legged dog3legged dog Posts: 896
    My wife was 7 months prego at the 06 boston garden show(rock the vote). He now watches PJ dvd's w/ me.............he loves pearljam!
    In my lifetime, I have conquered the Multiverse by force of trUth.
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    i am 29...my dad is 74...he calls pearl jam "organized noise"...needless to say he cannot stand them yet he gives me more shit for them because he knows how much i love them...

...i remember one night my family was eating dinner about two years ago and i was blasting one of their live dvds on our 50 inch plasma (which is in plain view of the dinner table) for pure, simple entertainment experience while we eat (my dad had it put in so he can watch the yankees while he eats)... and there was this scene where it was a close up of eddie singing... and you see mike running back and forth behind eddie, and than jeff is behind eddie just jamming...

... and my dad got really pissed... and he was like, "jesus christ... you would never see guys doing that behind Frank Sinatra" :lol:

I almost shit myself it was so funny
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    my dad is 41 and im 16. we're both PJ freaks :D
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    well besides the yankees... the only things i have in common with my dad is an appreciation of the finer things in life... like a nice set of tits and vodka...wish it was pearl jam too... but he's old
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    im 16 and my parents are 40 and back int he 90s they were obsessed but now im obsessed and they get sick of it LoL but they still want to go their concerts :mrgreen:
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,938
    More heartwarming and kicking ass thread in a while! I'll educate in the ways of the force too! :D
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    demetrios wrote:
    when i step up, & become a father, hopefully my kids will like thy pearl jam. won't force them into it, but the house they will be born & raised in will be plaqued with pearl jam goodies! plus where the wife goes, will make sure there will be headphones around that tummy shouting out sweet tunes!

If they don't like them, spray them with water until they learn
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    My dad is 70, my mum is 72 and they both really like PJ... they didn't really stand a chance with me in the house. My dad even lined up for tix to PJ in '95 for me cause I couldn't get out of work and he went with me to the midnight launch of Riot Act. I'm halfway round the world now but they always know when I'm going to see them: "Did you see your boys?" :D
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    I'm 46, my wife is 48. We and our 12 and 14 year old sons are all crazy about Pearl Jam (esp. me and the boys). Took the 12 year old to see PJ and EV solo last year and he loved both concerts. Only my daughter claims not to like them (mainly because she is a contrarian and gets sick of hearing them all the time).
    96: 10-2 Hartford
    03: 7-11 Mansfield 3
    04: 9-28 Boston 1
    08: 6-28 Mansfield 1
    09: 10-30 Philly 3, 10-31 Philly 4
    10: 5-15 Hartford, 5-17 Boston
    11: 9-3 Alpine Valley, 9-4 Alpine Valley
    13: 10-15 Worcester 1, 10-16 Worcester 2, 10-25 Hartford
    16: 4-29 Philly 2, 5-1 MSG 1, 8-5 Fenway 1, 8-7 Fenway 2
    18: 9-2 Fenway 1, 9-4 Fenway 2
    21: 9-26 Ohana
    22: 5-6 LA, 5-7 LA, 5-16 Fresno
    EV SOLO: 8-2-08 Boston 2, 6-8-09 Albany 1, 6-15-11 Providence, 6-16-11 Boston, 6-18-11 Hartford, 11-1-12 Las Vegas
    Tres Mts: 3-27-11 Boston
  • Options
    JR86440JR86440 Posts: 739
    here is my daughter..singing daughter.. she is a little more than 2 yrs old in this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5vyZM2G ... annel_page
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    demetrios wrote:

Actually..

They will be the minions putting the padded envelopes in the mailboxes ;)
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,938
    JR86440 wrote:
    here is my daughter..singing daughter.. she is a little more than 2 yrs old in this video

the most rockin' video in the board! :D
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    foresterforester Posts: 90
    My kids grew up on PJ -much time in the car but with lovely side effect of great music playing in their heads- both are music lovers and PJ fans. Got to share PJ concert with son at 15, and then EV solo - met Eddie afterward and he was amazing with all the kids in the group. Stopped to talk to my son for a brief moment. Shook his hand. Asked him a few questions. Memorable forever. Awesome video of your daughter singing "daughter". Mine is now 20, but I imagine her singing tunes at a young age long ago......
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    my dad is 41 and im 16. we're both PJ freaks :D
    haha .... I was gonna ask him if he was your dad!!!!! :lol:
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    JR86440 wrote:

haha that's cool. How long did it take for her to memorize the lyrics?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    JR86440JR86440 Posts: 739
    JR86440 wrote:

haha that's cool. How long did it take for her to memorize the lyrics?

Not sure. She is pretty smart and not saying that because she is my daughter... she definitely has her mothers brains (georgetown education) and not mine!!!
  • Options
    jmurrayjmurray Stratham, NH Posts: 3,538
    I'm a 45 y/o father, son 23 been to 4 shows with me since 2003 and daughter 19 will go to 1st show this next tour, hopefully soon. This is a cool connection with both of them. Mom left out in the cold.
  • Options
    Elbereth84Elbereth84 Posts: 253
    JR86440 wrote:

She's such a cutie ... don't call me daughter ... love it haha! :D23.gif
  • Options
    I would imagine an EV only tour will bring about it a different "feel", or experience... I've never seem EV solo. Assume you would never think of taking a child under 12 to a PJ show... would you consider it for an EV only show?
  • Options
    prsntnseprsntnse Posts: 155
    I'm 41 my girls are 9 and 12 (avatar). I took them to their first PJ show (boston II 08), and 1st eddie show (nyc I) they loved both of them. I'm trying my best to introduce them to great music, but it is a tough fight.
    2000- Jones Beach III
    2003- Nassau coliseum, MSG I, MSG II
    2006- Hartford, E. Ruth I, E. Ruth II,
    2008- W. Palm, Tampa, Camden II, MSG I, MSG II, Hartford, Mansfield II
    2008- E.V. solo - Boston I, Boston II,NYC I,Newark Stone - Brooklyn
    2009- Chicago I & II,Philly III & IV E.V. solo- Albany II, Philly II
    2010- Hartford, Newark, MSG I & II
    2011- Tres Mtns. - Ed solo-Beacon I & II - Alpine Valley I & II
    2013- Hartford, Philly I & II, Brooklyn I & II, London Ont
    2016- Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Philly I&II, MSG I&II
  • Options
    Call me a prude.. but i'm all about protecting them from the scene I've encountered at concerts (in general - not specific to PJ). My 9 year old is begging me to take her and I've tried to explain it's really not suitable. She chose to write to Eddie to ask for a backstage pass so she could see without tall people and so she wouldn't hear all the "words she isn't supposed to learn yet". It was so cute. I hate saying no to her on this cause I think it would be a great bonding moment... but I'm not sure it's the most appropriate. I was hoping the EV solo would be a bit more... relaxed, less drunkeness, less drugs, and less shoving/etc...
  • Options
    prsntnseprsntnse Posts: 155
    Call me a prude.. but i'm all about protecting them from the scene I've encountered at concerts (in general - not specific to PJ). My 9 year old is begging me to take her and I've tried to explain it's really not suitable. She chose to write to Eddie to ask for a backstage pass so she could see without tall people and so she wouldn't hear all the "words she isn't supposed to learn yet". It was so cute. I hate saying no to her on this cause I think it would be a great bonding moment... but I'm not sure it's the most appropriate. I was hoping the EV solo would be a bit more... relaxed, less drunkeness, less drugs, and less shoving/etc...

I would not take my kids to an indoor arena to see PJ. When i took them to mansfield it was carefully planned. I got two tickets towards the back of the ampitheater through TM. Then I offered my 10c tickets to the people sitting next to the tm seats so the four of us sat together. PJ fans very respectfull to the kids.
    2000- Jones Beach III
    2003- Nassau coliseum, MSG I, MSG II
    2006- Hartford, E. Ruth I, E. Ruth II,
    2008- W. Palm, Tampa, Camden II, MSG I, MSG II, Hartford, Mansfield II
    2008- E.V. solo - Boston I, Boston II,NYC I,Newark Stone - Brooklyn
    2009- Chicago I & II,Philly III & IV E.V. solo- Albany II, Philly II
    2010- Hartford, Newark, MSG I & II
    2011- Tres Mtns. - Ed solo-Beacon I & II - Alpine Valley I & II
    2013- Hartford, Philly I & II, Brooklyn I & II, London Ont
    2016- Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Philly I&II, MSG I&II