Options

Better to try online or at the venue?

edited April 2009 in The Porch
Well, I'm bummed - no tix for the Albany show or the Albany rollover show (just got the email confirming it all). I only work just uptown from the Palace and only live a few minutes from downtown. Argh.

So here's my question for you all: any ideas on what's the best way to try for tix thru Ticketmaster? I've never had trouble getting PJ tix thru the years via Ticketmaster but I was shut out trying for a solo Ed Boston show last year - I tried to get them online and b/c it was a small venue (Opera House, I believe), they sold out in a matter of a few minutes, I think. So the Palace in Albany is also very small and I am worried that I'll log into Ticketmaster, try for tix and be shut out in two minutes or less!

Any ideas on whether it's better to go to the venue itself the morning of the onsale? Only thing is, what if they sell out online before I even get to the ticket window at the Palace?!? Just seems like a real crapshoot to try online as well for such a small venue show.

What do you all think is my (and other people's) best option?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,861
    i'd do both.

Only thing I'm thinking of is a Chris Cornell show I went to in reading. At the show I was sitting next to a couple ppl who got tix at the box office right when the went on sale, and I got mine online. Not sure if everyone in line got better tix than me, but I doubt it cuz i was 2nd row... I bet that didn't help at all haha.

I'd say if you are gonna do the box office be 1st in line, otherwise who knows.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    wait in line at the box office with an iphone. :D
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    Online is the way to go now. I've been shut out completely waiting at the venue before.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    yeah, guess i need to pick up an iphone by saturday :D

my only worry is i don't know how early to be at the Palace to wait in line. tix go on sale at 10 but i have no idea how crazy the eddie diehards are around here. for the most part i don't personally know any other crazy eddie and/or pearl jam fans that live near me, so i'd think not that many people would go to the box office...but who knows?!?

argh ;)

on a related note: you all think the band will come back to albany again when they do the full tour (either later this year or 2010)? wonder if i should just sit this out and wait for those tix...
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Do it online, but remember Ticketmaster's trick is they only sell some of the tickets first day, always keep checking back, especially everyday the week before the show. I score 10th row at DC 2 the day of the show.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 232
    Many years ago I had a friend who worked at a box office. When she sold tickets at work, she was essentially using the same system as everyone else, both at other ticket outlets and the public online site. It wasn't as though they had their own separate set of tickets. This could differ by venue or ticket company, or could have changed since this was many years ago, but at least in that situation you had better odds running multiple browsers yourself than going to a box office.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    cbbjr wrote:
    Many years ago I had a friend who worked at a box office. When she sold tickets at work, she was essentially using the same system as everyone else, both at other ticket outlets and the public online site. It wasn't as though they had their own separate set of tickets. This could differ by venue or ticket company, or could have changed since this was many years ago, but at least in that situation you had better odds running multiple browsers yourself than going to a box office.

that's a really good point and i think along with the other advice so far i am definitely leaning toward staying at home and trying for tix online, with multiple browsers going at once.

i was really psyched to maaaaaybe get pre-sale tickets, but ah well. i remember back in '03 sending the ticket requests via snail mail to the ten club for the riot act tour. i guess this goes to show how far things have come in the good ol' aughts, not to mention since the salad days of the '90s.

glad i had a chance for solo ed, at least, and still do via ticketmaster (but damn i hate using their site).