Options

Pearl Jam's 'Ten' Reissue Off To Strong Sales Start

uglybabouglybabo Posts: 518
edited March 2009 in The Porch
Check out the last paragraph!

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/pea ... 6688.story

Pearl Jam's 'Ten' Reissue Off To Strong Sales Start

Sony Legacy is predicting solid first-week numbers for its reissue of Pearl Jam's 1992 album "Ten"—55,000 total copies sold and, remarkably, 10,000 copies of the collector's edition, which is selling for $140 on the band's Web site and for $124.99 at Best Buy.

The sales of the collector's edition comes thanks to worldwide fan club pre-orders; Legacy Recordings/Sony Music VP of sales Scott Van Horn says the label predicts that during the first week of release it will sell 55,000 copies overall of the four versions of the reissue.

If Sony's predictions are correct, the album will easily lead Billboard's Top Pop Catalog Albums chart. Even if predictions are off, the set is still expected to conquer the chart with ease. The reigning albums for the last two weeks have sold 11,000 and 12,000 copies, respectively; the fan club pre-orders alone would almost beat that.

The list price for the collector's edition is $199.98. The set contains two CDs, four LPs, a DVD of Pearl Jam's previously unreleased "MTV Unplugged" performance, a cassette of demos, replicas of mementos from the collections of singer Eddie Vedder and bassist Jeff Ament, a vellum envelope with more ephemera and a print commemorating a concert from the time. Besides the collector's edition, other versions of the "Ten" reissue include a $40.98 deluxe edition and the $19.98 legacy edition. Van Horn predicts the collector's edition will account for 10% of sales, the deluxe edition for 50% and the legacy edition for 40%. (He adds that the label is having a harder time quickly counting sales of the $24.98 vinyl editions.)

The breakdown of sales is a stark contrast to the percentages for U2's latest album, "No Line on the Horizon," which was also released at multiple price points. During the first week of sales, 92.4% of the copies sold were the standard physical CD and all digital formats, with a $35.98 Digipak accounting for 4.4% of the sales and the $95.98 boxed set accounting for 2% of sales (Over the Counter, Billboard, March 28).

Compare Pearl Jam's numbers to pre-order numbers from another recent reissue, the Beastie Boys' "Paul's Boutique": While sales numbers aren't available to Nielsen SoundScan, Topspin founder Ian Rogers, who helped release the album, told Billboard earlier this month that the highest and lowest price points were the biggest sellers.

Although the prices for the deluxe edition of "Ten" might seem high, they are in line with historical trends. During the first golden age of boxed sets in the late '80s, collections like Eric Clapton's "Crossroads" and Bob Dylan's "Biograph" cost around $60, which would equate to $103 today, adjusted for inflation. Neither of those sets contained books, tapes or other assorted memorabilia, making "Ten" look almost like a bargain.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DD164485DD164485 Posts: 149
    Wow, Pearl Jam is so bad ass, they can re-release an album 20 years later and still top the charts.

The music industry is pretty depraved these days
  • Options
    i guarantee that the piece of info regarding fan club sales came from the label guy and not the fan club. 10c has always been so secretive about shit like that.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    it is soooo worthy!

i received my SDE last monday but did not have the time to give it it's proper due until the weekend. sweet bejeebus it is spectacular! it is soooo beautifully packaged, adore the memorabilia and the ten redux?! BRILLIANT! cannot believe how much i love it. it's like breathing new life into a treasured love. truly. i was just discussing it on the phone with hubby as he's not given it a listen yet. it's been seriously spruced up with some christmas clean love ;).....it's just so crisp, gorgeous and clean-sounding. i truly LOVE it. 8-) i will say in regards to brother i prefer the instrumental over the lyric version, but none the less......it's just a beautiful thing. i am thrilled to pieces i went for the SDE, everything included is great and i am sure to always enjoy it.

hearing it reworked, as the band wished it to be from day one...i sooooo *get it*....and it psychs me up for NEW pearl jam all the more! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Dissident67Dissident67 Posts: 565
    This really shows how many people pearl jam are still relevant too, if fan club sales are only about 20% of the sales, but im really interested into how many vinyl editions sold since vinyl sales of new albums has been way up the past couple of years
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • Options
    Strong sales or not, I feel that the benefit of the "Ten" reissue is that Pearl Jam has started to receive the recognition it deserves for being one of the greatest bands of all time from both the press and the public at large.

Also, it gives today's kids (who are so deprived of good music) a chance to become familiar with the band.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    uglybabo wrote:
    The reigning albums for the last two weeks have sold 11,000 and 12,000 copies, respectively; the fan club pre-orders alone would almost beat that.
    Wow. That is way more copies that I expected 10C had sold!
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    Strong sales or not, I feel that the benefit of the "Ten" reissue is that Pearl Jam has started to receive the recognition it deserves for being one of the greatest bands of all time from both the press and the public at large.

Also, it gives today's kids (who are so deprived of good music) a chance to become familiar with the band.
    I totally agree with you. And I am very happy about it too. I am amazed how much attention an pub Pearl Jam has been getting everywhere. Brother is #1 too. I think the difference now is that Pearl Jam isnt really shunning the media and the publicity. They are actually promoting this big time.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    mrshock13mrshock13 Posts: 472

I totally agree with you. And I am very happy about it too. I am amazed how much attention an pub Pearl Jam has been getting everywhere. Brother is #1 too. I think the difference now is that Pearl Jam isnt really shunning the media and the publicity. They are actually promoting this big time.

It really does seem like the band is embracing the fame. I think they know how to properly deal with what will be thrown at them, and the media after all this time has enough respect for the band to deal with THEM appropriately. It's great that people are getting into the album, hopefully people will start picking up the other albums and will love them as much as Ten.
    It's actually very funny to read that the fan-club pre-orders from all of us 10C members surpasses the album sales for the chart topping albums currently. Though not entirely unexpected, since there aren't a whole lot of good, new, popular bands around anymore.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    uglybabo wrote:

If Sony's predictions are correct, the album will easily lead Billboard's Top Pop Catalog Albums chart. [/b]
    POP????!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 804

I agree my generation is terribly deprived of talented musicians and good music in general. It really is sad. I just wish I could convince more of my friends to love PJ! :(
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK. 09 -Spectrum II,III,IV. 10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo). 12- Made in America Festival. 13- Oakland. 14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 17- eV Ohana. 18- Seattle I, II. 21- SHN. 22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden. 23- eV & Earthlings Ohana. 24 - MSG I, II
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    LukinFan wrote:
    uglybabo wrote:

If Sony's predictions are correct, the album will easily lead Billboard's Top Pop Catalog Albums chart. [/b]
    POP????!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    ular?
  • Options
    eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    IT ENTERED THE ALBUM CHARTS @#5, 58000 sales. :D

Dont ask me about the pop catalog charts.