Options

In attendance at Drop in the Park?

go2theshowgo2theshow Posts: 79
edited March 2009 in The Porch
How many of you out there were actually at this show? Is all this regalia with the Deluxe Edition making you feel like a VIP? I'm just jealous. Please tell me more.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AYE!
    There's alot to be said for Nowhere
  • Options
    AYE!

That's all you got. You're killing me.
  • Options
    Well what do you wanna know? We all had to go get tickets at the Seattle center early in the morning about three weeks before the show. There were hunderds if not thousends of people there and the line was insane! I was unable to get tickets but, my best friend scored!! The night before the show we left and parked in the University Of Washington's stadium parking lot were we slept that night. The next day the busses started rolling in a picking up concert goers and busing them to the park. I was so stoked because this was the third time we had seen PJ (the first time at the Moore Theater and at Lollapalooza 92) We got to the huge open feild and went right up close to the front! We suffered through the other band but, when PJ started the park exploded! It was sooo awesome! It was an amazing show, the crowd was great but, thing I remember most was how the whole crowd stoped moving and yelling when Eddie did his big climb. The huge crowd was still! Ed had us eating out of the palm of his hand! The new box set brings back some great memories. I wish they would have included RITFW with Bruce Fairweather though. I will never forget that show. With that said I will never forget any of the 26 or so (I need to count again) shows I have been to. I have been hooked on this band the minute I saw Eddie jump from the balcony at the Moore Theater! There is just no other band out there with the passion and the heart of this band. Thats why PJ will always be my band.........Is that better? :lol:
  • Options
    That's more like it. Thanks candleofthought. Anyone else want to share?
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,329
    candleofthought: thanks for typing that out. it's nice to imagine the moment with others explaining it.

side note: LOVE the pic of Ed holding the Wrigley Field grass outside of Metro. If he was wearing his Limelight shirt, it would be the perfect picture of all time.

:)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13
    I remember waking up at 4:00 am in Marysville to get to the University of Washington parking lot where the buses were going to pick us up to move us to Magnuson. I was with my best bud and met many cool people, it was like one big aura of warm feelings. This was the best experience ever, we were directly in the front row off to the left of stage a bit for all the bands leading up to PJ. Lazy Susan,Cyprus Hill, Seaweed, I don't remember the other band. As soon as Cyprus came on, the crowd was so intense and pushed everyone forward. Jim Rose kept on coming out yelling "move the fuck back" or something to that extent.

This was my first PJ concert so didn't know what to expect. Eddie was insane, that's all I can say. Just insane. PJ won me over that day, as it is the one concert that will always be at the top of my list. All I can say is, I'm so glad I was able to go. The raw energy with the band and the crowd was amazing. Seeing the pictures on the cover totally takes me back to that day. I'm so thankful for the free tickets that day :p) and the band to what they have become today. PJ has been a very huge part of my life since back then and they will always be. I didn't want the day to end. Good times.

Thanks to PJ for including DITP in this set. I'm so happy! :)
  • Options
    DK41019DK41019 Posts: 1
    I was also at the show. My friend was working security and he gave me two tickets for free a couple days before the show. Believe it or not, I could not find a single person to go with me. I called everybody. I still have the unused ticket (which looks identical to the replica in the box set). Anyways, I ended up going alone. I was only 22 and a student at the University of Washington. I walked down to the Montlake parking lot (N4) and got on one of the Metro busses that were shuttling fans to the show at Magnusson Park a couple miles away. I brought a little point and shoot and still have the photos. I worked myself forward as close as I could before the show and got about 20 feet from the front. I remember Eddie coming out and saying, "We did it!". Then, they started into Even Flow and the pit went ballistic. I distinctly remember 2 girls screaming with tears running down their face that they wanted out because they were getting crushed (they got out). Even though we were outdoors, I remember it feeling like a sauna room and I myself eventually had to get out because I was getting lightheaded from all the body heat. I wanted to buy a shirt, but I was so poor I had to pass. I listened to the vinyl yesterday and it was the first time that I had ever heard this show that I had gone to 17 years ago and it was kind of a trip. Anyways, that's my story.
  • Options
    How about the line getting back to the buses after that show was over? That was possibly the worst two and a half hours of my life! Being in the front of the stage ment being last in line for the bus home. There was no way PJ could have done the show at Gasworks like they wanted to do at first. I wonder if they could pull this off now? I may be older but, Im up for another adventure. :D
  • Options
    Another thing I forgot. I was so worried about not getting tickets but, my best friend got one for me. The guys working line control for the buses were handing out tickets as we were bording! I was worried for nothin. Anyone could have seen this show if you showed up.
  • Options
    PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    When Eddie is hanging above the stage on those girders, does he just drop to the stage?
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Tell me more, I heard he used his mic lead to climb with very high?
    I can hear the crowd screaming during Porch on the bootleg.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Plankton wrote:
    When Eddie is hanging above the stage on those girders, does he just drop to the stage?

No he doubled up the cord and droped it to the stage and slid down the mic cord to the stage. He the used the cord like Tarzan would use a vine and swung out and dove into the crowd.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    when i saw this show i just had to upload porch, still pretty crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyxkgHip2t8
  • Options
    There is a picture on the inside of the Drop in the Park LP sleve that shows Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic talking to Eddie back stage. Did they play at all or were they just hanging out?
  • Options
    Oh man, I don't often get this jealous ;):mrgreen: Thanks so much for the stories!
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,937
    I BrisK I wrote:
    when i saw this show i just had to upload porch, still pretty crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyxkgHip2t8

And that's just one more thing why any a**hole can't compare with our boys, after that stunt straight to the rock and roll hall of fame!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    Only three people on this board were at the show? Come on ...who else was there?
  • Options
    burgburg Posts: 20
    my wife went.. she echo's most of these stories..

I have the worst excuse in the world for not going.

I had a soccer game.

:oops:
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,507
    go2theshow wrote:
    Only three people on this board were at the show? Come on ...who else was there?
    I woulda been there.........but my appendix burst! :o:mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    depooterdepooter Posts: 27
    I was there.....the bus thing was a huge drag..but worth it...Certainly not the best PJ show I've seen, but I have fond memories. Wish someone had some video from "Porch"....
    Thanks
    Greg
    www.theuncool.com
    The Official website for everything Cameron Crowe
  • Options
    Mortimer wrote:
    I remember waking up at 4:00 am in Marysville ...

I went to the show from Marysville, as well.

I won my free tickets from 107.7 The End. I skipped school to go to Seattle and pick them up (didn't have a car, had to take a bus, so it took ALL day) and my mom called the school to narc on me. :roll: That was the first and only time I had to go to Saturday School - and was my freakin' senior year. Oh, well. I felt like I had the best reason in the world.

I'm not much for remembering details, I usually remember the feeling in the air, that sort of thing. And that day was amazing.

I went with my younger sister and the whole experience felt like a crazy adventure. I've never seen busses so packed. :o But everybody was so excited.

During the show we crowdsurfed everytime we got into tight spots. I totally miss those days of being dropped off right in front of the band and looking at them THAT close while being ushered back into the crowd.

Ed's climb and drop during Porch was wicked. His energy was out of this world.

After the show, my sis and I were about for feet and two othe people away from meeting Ed through a fence, but a bunch of girls started screaming his name and spooked him off. Ah, well. It was cool seeing him that close.

I will love that day forever. And it is an awesome treat to have it immortalized in this Super Deluxe set.

My original ticket:
    3395030075_015b3eec82.jpg
    I carried a watermelon