Options

How did Stone and Jack meet?

GiventoFallGiventoFall Posts: 217
edited September 2008 in The Porch
Every pearl jam article goes over how the band was formed and how Jack Irons was responsible for connecting Eddie with Stone and the guys. I know how Eddie met Jack when going camping with the chili peppers. I've never read anywhere how Jack Irons met and became friends with stone though. Anybody got a answer???? ??? ?? ?
Get over here!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    This is as quoted from the article "Pearl Jam and the Secret History of Seattle", originally published in Goldmine:

For once, Gossard and Ament were to look outside the incestuous Seattle scene to make up the numbers, contacting someone they had no personal connection with. One of the people considered was drummer Jack Irons.

The former Red Hot Chili Pepper was certainly a talent worthy of consideration. The day they came knocking on his door, however, Irons was out, but his wife invited them in. She was given a tape with five songs ("Alone," "Once," Alive," "Black" and "Times Of Trouble"), and passed on the message, "Give it a listen; if you like it, call and see if you want to come up to Seattle for a little bit. Or if you know any singers, pass it on.

By now, of course, Irons was involved with his own band, Eleven, and had no interest in leaving. But he did have a friend, a singer that might be interested, Eddie Vedder.

Vedder and Irons met back in the autumn of 1989 at the Bacchanal in San Diego, when Irons was touring with Joe Strummer's band. A devout Strummer fan, Vedder was backstage, and was equally keen to meet the Peppers' former drummer. A friendship quickly formed, and Vedder would go up to L.A. once a week to play basketball with Irons.

And so Irons passed on the tape, telling Vedder, "These guys have been around, they were members of MLB. It looks like they've got a deal going, it's a serious thing, so see if there's something there for you."

The article can be found here: http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/articles/gm082093_2.shtml
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    Thanks alot for clearing up that little tidbit. It's pretty cool to have someone named stoneirons answer that question as well
    Get over here!
  • Options
    Thanks alot for clearing up that little tidbit. It's pretty cool to have someone named stoneirons answer that question as well

Yes, it's quite a coincidence. :D
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 716
    curtis being mistaken for a woman is funny

ps
    stone irons.. i like your coincidence and i like you quote.. it's prob one of my fav pj lyrics EVER
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    Thanks. :)
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Really? I always thought they had met on Craigslist. :confused:
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Really? I always thought they had met on Craigslist. :confused:

hahah awesome.
    "You could have licked the lips of God, but you chose the pavement..." ~ These Arms Are Snakes