Options

Impact of Yield

FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
edited February 2009 in The Porch
Hey guys, so this is my first post. Here goes:

Yield was released on February 3, 1998, which also happened to be my 16th birthday. I purchased the album immediately after getting out of class that day with my friend at the local Newbury Comics. Now I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but that first listen blew my mind away. We were so amazed as to how the sound evolved from the early days of Ten and Vs. My friend unfortunately passed away in 2005. Every year now on my birthday, which just passed, I spin Yield, crack open a few and get nostalgic about growing up, growing older and letting Eddie, Jeff and the boys provide the soundtrack to my life, for better or worse. To me, Pearl Jam is much, much more than 5 guys (and Boom) playing music. It sums up in many ways who I am as a person, where I've come from and where I need to be going. This album, for me, is at the epicenter of this notion. I am just curious if anyone else has a story or an anecdote or would just like to offer up a comment as to what this monumental and breathtaking album means to them.

Keep on rockin' in the free world!
"FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Weird as it may sound...Yield is the one Pearl Jam album that I didn't buy on the day it was released. In fact, it was months later that I heard it. I went to see them play in Missoula and rapid city that summer of 98 and then stopped in Ohio to see a friend. She had the album and that was the first time I heard its entirety.
  • Options
    It was because of Yield that I became in love with Pearl Jam's music. Previous to that I was disconnected from current rock music but had just begun to listen to rock radio. I remember one of the stations was promoting the release of yield, and played the entire album. After that I was hooked. I went out and bought used copies of vitaology, and no code since that's all the tiny record shop my small town had at the time and pre-ordered yield. Such a great album...
    already in love
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,063
    It was because of Yield that I met my wife....I went to the mall to buy it, had it in my hand, unopened and was buying lunch...the guy at the deli counter i was paying for my lunch saw it and we started talking about PJ...he and I became friends over time and he introduced me to the woman who has been my wife for 6+ years...so thanks Yield and Pearl Jam! All my grey hairs are bcause of you...(wouldnt change a thing though)
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,097
    It was because of Yield that I met my wife....I went to the mall to buy it, had it in my hand, unopened and was buying lunch...the guy at the deli counter i was paying for my lunch saw it and we started talking about PJ...he and I became friends over time and he introduced me to the woman who has been my wife for 6+ years...so thanks Yield and Pearl Jam! All my grey hairs are bcause of you...(wouldnt change a thing though)

Sweet story man! :)
  • Options

That is a great story! Nice name too EV.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Im know as a true yield head... I always seem to struggle to articulate what this album has meant to me. I loved the previous albums so much, I never thought they would create an album so different, so unique, so artsy, and just so perfect. I've played Yield during some of the best and worst times of my life. It's a true concept album. When spring finally shows itself from behind winter, there is nothing sweeter than the sound of "1,2,3,4, 1,2,3,4 sorry..."
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    NL209939 wrote:

Yield was released on February 3, 1998, which also happened to be my 16th birthday. I purchased the album immediately after getting out of class that day with my friend at the local Newbury Comics. Now I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but that first listen blew my mind away. We were so amazed as to how the sound evolved from the early days of Ten and Vs. My friend unfortunately passed away in 2005. Every year now on my birthday, which just passed, I spin Yield, crack open a few and get nostalgic about growing up, growing older and letting Eddie, Jeff and the boys provide the soundtrack to my life, for better or worse. To me, Pearl Jam is much, much more than 5 guys (and Boom) playing music. It sums up in many ways who I am as a person, where I've come from and where I need to be going. This album, for me, is at the epicenter of this notion. I am just curious if anyone else has a story or an anecdote or would just like to offer up a comment as to what this monumental and breathtaking album means to them.

Great story...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Yield is THE pj album. I didn't think so for awhile until I just kept listening to it and realized how positive and natural it feels/sounds. It now ranks at my second favorite PJ album next to Avocado. (thats right, Avo is my fav.) It's a great album to spin on an occasion like that, its always good to think positive.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    BMo-643BMo-643 Posts: 220
    Yield is THE pj album. I didn't think so for awhile until I just kept listening to it and realized how positive and natural it feels/sounds. It now ranks at my second favorite PJ album next to Avocado. (thats right, Avo is my fav.) It's a great album to spin on an occasion like that, its always good to think positive.

Avocado!? Really!? I think you are the first PJ fan I have ever heard state that was their favorite album. Nothing bad to say about it, just thought it was interesting. If you like it the best, you like it the best, personally it's my least favorite...
    Cincinnati 06'
    Lollapalooza 07'
    Bonnaroo 08'
    Columbus 10'
    Noblesville 10'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Music Midtown 12'
    Wrigley Field 13'
    Cincinnati 14'
    Lexington 16'
  • Options
    I like to think that sometimes there are external forces which influence our adoration for a certain album. It's kinda like the old addage, "You're always into the music you were listening to the first time you got laid." Whether it's Yield, the Avocado, or freakin' Barenaked Ladies, some albums just choose us. I firmly believe that.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    bmo643 wrote:

Avocado!? Really!? I think you are the first PJ fan I have ever heard state that was their favorite album. Nothing bad to say about it, just thought it was interesting. If you like it the best, you like it the best, personally it's my least favorite...

It's my favorite because I got into PJ during the time of that albums release. My older friend was looking up concerts for us to go to and he asked me about PJ and I was like hell yea. Then I found out they were coming out with a new album, so before that I bought all of their previous albums and on may 2nd I bought Avocado. It was basically my high school theme. Plus, that show was my first real concert ever, so that adds to it. I also just htink its a fucking awesome album.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,271
    NL209939 wrote:

my favourite album!lets hope the new album will be like yield in a way
    danny d
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    NL209939 wrote:
    I like to think that sometimes there are external forces which influence our adoration for a certain album. It's kinda like the old addage, "You're always into the music you were listening to the first time you got laid." Whether it's Yield, the Avocado, or freakin' Barenaked Ladies, some albums just choose us. I firmly believe that.
    Very true. Yield is the album that got me hooked to PJ, and it will always be my album! I'm taking it the grave with me.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    I was in Mexico City the day it came out in the states I had to wait a month after my travels and bought it at the riverwalk mall in San Antonio..on tape and wore out the tape in June...Memorized the lyrics in five days...NO WAY is epic...Lets call in Angels.....Hells Angels?? IT kinda sounds like motorcycles reving...Just my opinion
  • Options
    I was in Mexico City the day it came out in the states I had to wait a month after my travels and bought it at the riverwalk mall in San Antonio..on tape and wore out the tape in June...Memorized the lyrics in five days...NO WAY is epic...Lets call in Angels.....Hells Angels?? IT kinda sounds like motorcycles reving...Just my opinion

Never thought of that angle before. I watched Single Video Theory the other day and was reminded of how tight the bond between Jeff and Stone was on these songs. No Way is a great example of that I think.
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    Ew, good thread.

I’m disabled and was at a rehab vocational school. I think I was 19. Because I was stranded on campus I asked a cool teacher of mine to run out and get Yield for me. They had weekend trips off campus but didn’t want to wait! I had got this beautiful croquet white with pink little roses handmade vest. But I couldn’t wear it without a turtleneck. (Yes, I still sported a turtleneck in those days!) The same teacher also picked up a white turtleneck for me so I could wear the vest.

Yield is still my fav!
    i loved the album beforehand but it's fitting the first time i saw pj live it was for the Yield tour.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    Yeah! I knew you guys were out there! Keep the stories coming!
  • Options
    damendamen Posts: 104
    Yield helped influence me to move to California when I was 24. I was a die-hard PJ fan since Ten, but Yield sounded so awesome that it actually inspired me to drastic change. I quit my job driving forklift and moved from Minnesota to Los Angeles by myself. The whole trip there in my car, Yield was what I was listening to. I didn't have much of a plan, I just wanted to live a more exciting life. And when I got to the ocean, I had a smoke in a tree!! It's Evolution, baby! I moved back to MN in less than 2 years, but I will never forget that time and I will always have songs to remind me...
  • Options
    ThunderclapThunderclap Lexington, KY Posts: 108
    If I was forced to erase my memory of all music except for one album, Yield would be the one I'd keep.

Not that this could or would ever happen, I'm just sayin it's one badass album 8-)

I get something new from it every time I listen to it, because no matter how many times I play it, I'm always in a different place in my life than I was the last time I played it.
    TEACHER SEEKS PUPIL
    Must have an earnest desire to save the world
    Apply in person
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,331
    I remember not being too thrilled with no code when it came out. Then I remember yield coming out. GTF was on the radio. I bought the single and listened to it alot in the car.

I grew up in a smaller town, so I asked a guy at work who commuted to grab me a copy on his way in (since he was from a bigger town that actually got the new releases on tuesdays). He gave it to me, and I spun it during my lunch break. Stretching out a 30 minute lunch break to roughly 40 minutes? :)

I've loved that albums since the first time I heard it. Its also the first album I remember leaking on the Internet before its release (there were some low quality mp3's that started to circulate).

As a result I also caught the show in Missoula! It was party of a trip a friend and I did to go across Canada. We quit our shitty jobs and went on a road trip. So we cheated a little and took a 2 day detour from Calgary to Missoula.

We also brought cd's we never listen to for all the driving. I brought No Code. After hearing yield I developed a new appreciation for No Code, and listened to it alot on that trip.

We ran of money by the time we got to newfoundland, so we got from newfoundland to BC in 5 days, which happened to be 2 days before the vancouver show. So we bought tickets and went to that too. Then I got home. And my little brother was half hungover and I'm like.. hey do you want to go seattle? So we caught the ferry and hightailed it to seattle for the pj show. Good times man. It's probably why I like yield so much.