The story of Long Road

backspacer.backspacer. Posts: 70
edited January 2009 in The Porch
I remember listening to a live show where Eddie tells the story of long road. i remember hearing something about a bell ringing. which show is it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 2006 San Diego Show, he explains it right before playing it to start the encore
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    "Well... I tell ya, we played a uh, we played a show last night and uh... we're a hard woking band, we play a show just about every night, but um... but it was in Las Vegas and, and there was some health issues... It was the worst fucking gig and, I just hated that gig. This is just great. Thanks so much for...

*crowd cheers*

...and the crowd was good last night, but uh... it was just a tough one, so uh, to get your encouragement to come out and, uh, get our uh, get all four wheels back on the road, we appreciate it greatly. Couldn't have done it without you. Or Sonic Youth.

And uh, and I also... you know last night, what I'd like to do is, is tell you a little story if I can. Uh... it might go on for a couple minutes, so if you're comfortable, or uh, go to the restroom, or, just make out with your girl, whatever you want to do... but uh, it'd be great to, to, to talk to you for a second uh, uh about something I went through and share it with you in regards to the music that we're playing uh, and uh, our presence here tonight. But, uh... it has to do with, with uh, with education, and, and in particular an educator. And, um...

Think about your lives, will ya? And uh, and if you have one teacher that really meant something in your life, and it changed your life, raise your hand. Let me see. Keely, let's see the lights.

*THOUSANDS of people in the crowd raise their hands*

So... not that I was expecting that, that's actually a higher percentage than to be expected but, really, if you see that around ya, you think of all the billions of dollars that's spent on other efforts and, and you think that, uh, education should probably be first off to create a better, more intelligent, loving, caring..... especially here in the U.S. where, where we have the opportunity to lead, and uh, and if we can do it with an artistic and intelligent sensibility you could only imagine the way things would be different. And environmentally, uh, thoughtful as well.

So, anyways, I just want to tell you a story about, uh, my experience if I may. And uh, I had, I had *a* teacher, who, uh, who got me through some things and, and taught me so much, and, and uh, a lot of us were touched by him, and uh, and, and it was a heart touch *places his fist on his heart*... it, uh, he's still with us today. And, um, and through a campaign of letter writing and, uh, there was a, uh, a small campaign that, that came together and, and we are getting now, a theater in Encinitas, in North County, named after my teacher.

*crowd cheers*

So there's gonna be a theater in North County, up in Encinitas, called the Clayton E. Ligget Theater. And uh, and some of the money from tonights, uh, tonights, uh, tickets go to that. And we're really proud of it and thank you for participating, and making me proud.

Now, uh, my friend and, uh, and mentor, Clayton, he's, he's no longer with us but he still lives inside of all those that he touched. Uh, and, and I just wanted to, 'cause I, I remember when I got the call that he had, he had passed. And uh, we were actually in the studio with Neil Young. We were recording a record called Mirrorball, and uh... We were in the back room, we were, we were having dinner, I think it was Japanese food. And um, and it was Neil and the guys and we got this phone call and, and as soon as I heard who it was I, I knew what it was. And, uh, after I heard the news, even though it was Neil, and the guys, I, I um, I just had to leave the room. And, and I left the room and I went into the studio, this empty studio and, uh, I picked up a guitar, uh, I think I was looking for someone else to talk to, outside of the conversation, but there was no one, but this guitar. So I, I picked it up and I hit a chord

*hits the first chord of Long Road*

and I

*chord*

I hit the chord again.

*chord*

*chord*

And I think I was trying to, like, ring a bell, right?

*chord*

I was trying to ring a bell, to, to say that, uh

*chord*

*Matt comes in*

we lost one of the good ones.

*chord*

This is an important moment, in history, we *chord* lost one of the good ones.

*chord*

So I kept hittin' the bell.

*chord*

For, like, eight minutes. Ten minutes.

*chord*

Then the other guys, and Neil, they came into the room.

*chord*

Without saying anything or anything.

*chord*

They just picked up their instruments.

*chord*

And started hittin' the bell with me.

*chord*

We were all recognizing

*chord*

We were all ringing a bell.

*chord*

And I went up to the mic and then this song happened, yeah?

*chord*

*chord*

So this night is for Clayton and this song is for Clayton. Thanks for listening.

*chord*

And I wished for so long...

this was posted on the pit a couple years ago...i didn't transcribe it :)
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    That's a great story. :D Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • arqarq Posts: 7,935
    My favorite PJ song, and i feel it like the background music of my life.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • So this night is for Clayton and this song is for Clayton. Thanks for listening.

I like it when he says this.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • never heard that story, thanks for posting
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    never heard that story, thanks for posting

same here. great story....great song.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    So this night is for Clayton and this song is for Clayton. Thanks for listening.

I like it when he says this.

keep dreaming, buddy!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    that's a great story that I'm always happy to hear when I listen to this boot (which is one of my favorite boots)
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Amazing moment! I was at the show like 8 rows behind the stage....basically right behind Matt....Eddie screwed up in the middle of the song and looks over at Stone with this look like how the f did i just srew this up!!!

Pretty funny but one of the coolest moment's i've had at a PJ show.
    7.5.03 Camden I, 10.2.04 Toledo, 9.15.05 Montreal, 9.16.05 Ottawa, 10.1.05 Atlantic City, 5.13.06 Hartford, 5.27.06 Camden I, 5.30.06 DC, 6.3.06 NJ II, 7.7.06 San Diego, Lollapalooza 2007, 6.24.08 MSG I, 6.25.08 MSG II, 6.27.08 Hartford, 6.28.08 Mansfield I, 6.30.08 Mansfield II, 10.28.09 Philly II, 10.30.09 Philly III, 10.31.09 Philly IV
  • mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    I listen to that boot often - I am not entirely sure if Ed is saying that the song was spontaneously written in the studio after he got word of his teacher's death or if the guys just all spontaneously started playing it (being an already known piece of music) - kinda cathartically. I dunno.
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Top 3 PJ song
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • norm wrote:
    "Well... I tell ya, we played a uh, we played a show last night and uh... we're a hard woking band, we play a show just about every night, but um... but it was in Las Vegas and, and there was some health issues... It was the worst fucking gig and, I just hated that gig. This is just great. Thanks so much for...

*crowd cheers*

...and the crowd was good last night, but uh... it was just a tough one, so uh, to get your encouragement to come out and, uh, get our uh, get all four wheels back on the road, we appreciate it greatly. Couldn't have done it without you. Or Sonic Youth.

And uh, and I also... you know last night, what I'd like to do is, is tell you a little story if I can. Uh... it might go on for a couple minutes, so if you're comfortable, or uh, go to the restroom, or, just make out with your girl, whatever you want to do... but uh, it'd be great to, to, to talk to you for a second uh, uh about something I went through and share it with you in regards to the music that we're playing uh, and uh, our presence here tonight. But, uh... it has to do with, with uh, with education, and, and in particular an educator. And, um...

Think about your lives, will ya? And uh, and if you have one teacher that really meant something in your life, and it changed your life, raise your hand. Let me see. Keely, let's see the lights.

*THOUSANDS of people in the crowd raise their hands*

So... not that I was expecting that, that's actually a higher percentage than to be expected but, really, if you see that around ya, you think of all the billions of dollars that's spent on other efforts and, and you think that, uh, education should probably be first off to create a better, more intelligent, loving, caring..... especially here in the U.S. where, where we have the opportunity to lead, and uh, and if we can do it with an artistic and intelligent sensibility you could only imagine the way things would be different. And environmentally, uh, thoughtful as well.

So, anyways, I just want to tell you a story about, uh, my experience if I may. And uh, I had, I had *a* teacher, who, uh, who got me through some things and, and taught me so much, and, and uh, a lot of us were touched by him, and uh, and, and it was a heart touch *places his fist on his heart*... it, uh, he's still with us today. And, um, and through a campaign of letter writing and, uh, there was a, uh, a small campaign that, that came together and, and we are getting now, a theater in Encinitas, in North County, named after my teacher.

*crowd cheers*

So there's gonna be a theater in North County, up in Encinitas, called the Clayton E. Ligget Theater. And uh, and some of the money from tonights, uh, tonights, uh, tickets go to that. And we're really proud of it and thank you for participating, and making me proud.

Now, uh, my friend and, uh, and mentor, Clayton, he's, he's no longer with us but he still lives inside of all those that he touched. Uh, and, and I just wanted to, 'cause I, I remember when I got the call that he had, he had passed. And uh, we were actually in the studio with Neil Young. We were recording a record called Mirrorball, and uh... We were in the back room, we were, we were having dinner, I think it was Japanese food. And um, and it was Neil and the guys and we got this phone call and, and as soon as I heard who it was I, I knew what it was. And, uh, after I heard the news, even though it was Neil, and the guys, I, I um, I just had to leave the room. And, and I left the room and I went into the studio, this empty studio and, uh, I picked up a guitar, uh, I think I was looking for someone else to talk to, outside of the conversation, but there was no one, but this guitar. So I, I picked it up and I hit a chord

*hits the first chord of Long Road*

and I

*chord*

I hit the chord again.

*chord*

*chord*

And I think I was trying to, like, ring a bell, right?

*chord*

I was trying to ring a bell, to, to say that, uh

*chord*

*Matt comes in*

we lost one of the good ones.

*chord*

This is an important moment, in history, we *chord* lost one of the good ones.

*chord*

So I kept hittin' the bell.

*chord*

For, like, eight minutes. Ten minutes.

*chord*

Then the other guys, and Neil, they came into the room.

*chord*

Without saying anything or anything.

*chord*

They just picked up their instruments.

*chord*

And started hittin' the bell with me.

*chord*

We were all recognizing

*chord*

We were all ringing a bell.

*chord*

And I went up to the mic and then this song happened, yeah?

*chord*

*chord*

*chord*

And I wished for so long...

AndySlash did, who was at that show. As was I! :)
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.

AndySlash did, who was at that show. As was I! :)[/quote]

ah thanks....at the time i forgot to note who did it :)
  • glbglb Posts: 356
    what's your favorite live version of Long Road? I love the one from Phoenix in 2000 when they opened with it. It's a bit different, it has more of an "electric" sound to it.
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
    glb wrote:
    what's your favorite live version of Long Road? I love the one from Phoenix in 2000 when they opened with it. It's a bit different, it has more of an "electric" sound to it.

either this one (sd 06) or tribute to heros
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Nice, wanted to hear this one again.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    OMFG i remember this...

My version goes into some Ben Harper after he says "that we lost one of the good ones"

W T F .
  • norm wrote:
    glb wrote:

either this one (sd 06) or tribute to heros

Uniondale 2003 it's another great version.