Options

Death by Static Shock

spatspat Posts: 644
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
...will be my official cause of death by the end of this dry ass winter! I can feel my brain cells slipping away 1 shock at at time. so is it just me or is anyone else experiencing an abundance of these bitches lately?? any tips for making them STOP?
My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    One day I must got shocked at least 10 times in my office. :D
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    You said it in your first post, it's the dry air that breeds these shocks. It's of course ridiculously cold here, but the humidity level indoors gets under 20% as well (comfortable range is 35-55%). Lately I've been getting shocked like crazy particularly at my gym.

Not much you can do in an office, a humidifier at home can be very helpful. Check out warm mist humidifiers.
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    I've had some serious static shocks in the past few days.

I keep thinking about the scene in Office Space where Peter comes in and takes the door handle apart so he won't get shocked anymore.
  • Options
    ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    I have a big ceiling fan in my living room and the metal chains hang down kind of low.. I came home from the bars the other night and all I wanted to do was go down the hall to my room. But instead, I walked right into one of those suckers and got the biggest shock of my life. On my forehead. You could hear it! It lit up the room! Terrible I'm telling you.
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    It's one of the many things I love about living in the PNW. No more shocks! When I lived in San Diego I got shocked all the time and hated it! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    spat wrote:
    ...will be my official cause of death by the end of this dry ass winter! I can feel my brain cells slipping away 1 shock at at time. so is it just me or is anyone else experiencing an abundance of these bitches lately?? any tips for making them STOP?

i have been ELECTRIC today at work! it's crazy. and when i comb my hair, fly-aways big time. however, all of this ONLY occurs at work. i blame it on: lots of carpeting, dry heat, and lots of metal surfaces....ouch! at home we have all hardwood floors, leather sofa, so very little to get a 'charge' on...also have a humidifier in our bedroom for the season, so my skin is silky-soft year round. :)
    i'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    everytime I get out of my dam car.. I get shocked..
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    Our old apartment had tons of static. We never could figure out why. The static was there all seasons and we're in Seattle. :?

We ended up spraying our carpet with fabric softener every time we vacuumed. That helped a lot.
    I carried a watermelon
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    I have a big ceiling fan in my living room and the metal chains hang down kind of low.. I came home from the bars the other night and all I wanted to do was go down the hall to my room. But instead, I walked right into one of those suckers and got the biggest shock of my life. On my forehead. You could hear it! It lit up the room! Terrible I'm telling you.

Youch....
  • Options
    mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    Yep it's bad here. My poor girls walk around with the hair standing on end all the time.
    Gotta get a humidifier this weekend. I hate that I get shocked when they touch me.

And Arcticangel OUCH!!!!!
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    My cat hates me. I can't touch her without frying the poor thing. And when I find a place to pet her that doesn't shock her she still acts like she's about to get shocked, which can't be fun for her. I think the REAL victims of excess static electricity are the pets who don't know the science behind it and probably think its just cruel joke that their masters are playing on them.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    Get yourself a can of Static Guard. Works like a charm. Even comes in a smaller size so you can cart it around with you when you're out and about.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Travelar wrote:
    I've had some serious static shocks in the past few days.

I keep thinking about the scene in Office Space where Peter comes in and takes the door handle apart so he won't get shocked anymore.

HA. I'm watching this right now. What a coincidence.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    oh gosh look at all this support. good to know i'm not alone in my plight :P
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • Options
    nothing like bumping your own post from a year ago and have it still be relevant. lately i've been feeling like peter griffin in his onesie. hehehehehehe spark!
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,435
    I hate knowing when i touch the doorknob. that it's going to happen.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    My cat still hates me, but now I don't care...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I got a nasty shock from the elevator button the other day..that was a bit scary :o
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,952
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD