Options

HELP ME....my pc is fuckin up

elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
edited August 2007 in Technical Stuff and Help
when I turn my pc on I arrive at a black screen saying:

Windows could not startbecause the following is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS|SYSTEM32\CONFIG|SYSTEM
you can attempt to repair this file by starting Window Setup using the original setup CD-Rom.
select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

.................ok but how the fuck do I start repair as every touch of the keyboard reboots back to the above message even if I put in the setupCDRom...............so er.... what on this earth can I do here? had problems before with the graphics card, that was resolved from the start up menu whichif I remember correctly is accessed by holding Ctrl & Return, this does nothing now.......................

what about if I use my Factory Reset CD?????? theres nothing of worth to be lost,,,,,,will it simply reset to original state? could this be my solution? need verification before I try..........

so....any help Id munchup withthanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    When you boot your computer do you get your bios screen showing up at least?
    edit - before the black screen, naturally...
  • Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    Rygar wrote:
    When you boot your computer do you get your bios screen showing up at least?
    edit - before the black screen, naturally...
    Of course ...

OS loading begins only after BIOS has run and passed all tests.

Actually, the reset-cd should contain those missing files, so if you've got nothing to lose... go right ahead, but better would be if you had a windows install cd-rom and just ran the repair-console with 'r'.
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    elmer, i think what people are trying to tell you to do is go into BIOS and change your boot order so your CD-ROM picks up before your hard drive. Once that is set and you have the XP cd in your cd-rom drive, then reboot your computer and the set up disc should pick up and ask you to press any key to continue the set up process. Then you will see the Repair option.

When you get there, do not choose the first Repair option on the disc. Just hit install and then it will check for existing versions on your system and then give you another repair option. that is the one you want.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jamal wrote:
    Of course ...

OS loading begins only after BIOS has run and passed all tests.

I know this. He said he turns on his PC and it goes to a black screen, so I thought to ask anyway.

Animal got to where I was heading anyway.
  • Options
    TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I had this problem about a month and a half ago. I had the same black screen with the error, and it would not load into Windows. I tried the "r" repair console after running chkdsk and it did nothing but cause the 'blue screen of death' to appear. Then I called Dell's support system and they walked me through how to enter code in dos-prompt with the Windows XP disc that would hopefully fix the problem. It got me past the blue screen and looked like it was going to load again, but then it froze. Long story short... my hard drive had busted and I needed to get a new one. Luckily it was free since I was still under warranty.

As far as the factory reset.. I believe you hit ctrl-f11 when the computer is loading. Then you click the factory restore tab and it walks you through it. I've done that a couple of times and it gets rid of viruses and whatnot... but it was no help to me because it wouldn't fix my hard drive.

Basically, if you have a Dell.. which I assume you do since you mentioned the factory restore... then contact their customer support. They are actually pretty helpful, and you can either talk to them on the phone or in real time chat on you're computer.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    cheers, give these a try.