Options

How Do I Block A Website??

Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
edited April 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
I want to block access to a website on my computer, how can I do this??
"I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Download peerguardian2 from here:

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

First of all, when you're installing it, they'll ask, do you want to block against anti-filesharing/P2P sites, ads or spyware. Select one or more, from the list. The program does act as a good shield against spyware.

Then, when the program is up and running, click List Manager in the Protection tab on the user interface. Click the Add button. Then select the URL option and add the URL of the offending site to your list.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if that's what I need Finsburry :)

I mean like if I can just block a website with my Parental Controls so that when it's typed in, it won't come up :)

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if that's what I need Finsburry :)

I mean like if I can just block a website with my Parental Controls so that when it's typed in, it won't come up :)

Ah, I see. But the peerguardian method would still work, too, albeit via a much more convoluted approach. :)
  • Options
    Ah, I see. But the peerguardian method would still work, too, albeit via a much more convoluted approach. :)

Thanks!!

Is there any other ways, where I don't have to download anything...that you can think of?

:)

.NJD.
  • Options
    Thanks!!

Is there any other ways, where I don't have to download anything...that you can think of?

:)

Umm, what kind of Security system do you have on your pc? A lot of pcs have the Norton Security Suite with a built-in parental filter. Do you have that?
  • Options
    I have Norton Ya

.NJD.
  • Options
    I have Norton Ya

Is the Parental Control switched on? I don't know Norton, but maybe there's a way to add URLs to a blocklist there? Just guessing wildly.
  • Options
    Is the Parental Control switched on? I don't know Norton, but maybe there's a way to add URLs to a blocklist there? Just guessing wildly.

Alrighty I'll give it a shot!!

Thanks alot for the help :)

.NJD.
  • Options
    ThunderclapThunderclap Lexington, KY Posts: 108
    What browser are you using? Internet Explorer? Netscape? Firefox? Opera? Thunderbird? None of the above? There's different ways to do it in each. I'll give you Internet Explorer 'cause that's the most popular.

Click the Start button, then go to the Control Panel and open Internet Options. Go to the Content tab. Under the Content Advisor heading, click the Enable button.
    Go to the "Approved Sites" tab. In the box labeled "approve this web site:" enter the web address for the site you want to block then hit the "Never" button off to the right of that box. Click the OK button to get out of that. At some point it will prompt you to specify a password. Make sure you write it down or memorize it (best bet).

If this doesn't work, or if you are using another browser, holla back :cool:
    TEACHER SEEKS PUPIL
    Must have an earnest desire to save the world
    Apply in person
  • Options
    What browser are you using? Internet Explorer? Netscape? Firefox? Opera? Thunderbird? None of the above? There's different ways to do it in each. I'll give you Internet Explorer 'cause that's the most popular.

Click the Start button, then go to the Control Panel and open Internet Options. Go to the Content tab. Under the Content Advisor heading, click the Enable button.
    Go to the "Approved Sites" tab. In the box labeled "approve this web site:" enter the web address for the site you want to block then hit the "Never" button off to the right of that box. Click the OK button to get out of that. At some point it will prompt you to specify a password. Make sure you write it down or memorize it (best bet).

If this doesn't work, or if you are using another browser, holla back :cool:

Good points. I haven't used Norton in a while (me and me mates have our own thing), but I believe that norton has a site specific block. I believe you go to the page (norton toolbar must be on), then at the top right of the screen there is a "block this site" button...but like I said....been a while sinse I have seen Norton.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key