Options

A word of warning: Sony Australia Desktop is evil!

Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,813
edited May 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
Hey all,

After a 2 day absence, I thought I'd post a warning here. I had downloaded the Sony Pearl Jam Countdown desktop about a month ago when it first became available. It had a cool intro of the band and a countdown to the album release date.

Wednesday I decided to uninstall the desktop, since the album was out and it was making my WinXP start up a little slow.

Little did I realize the effect the uninstall would have.

As it began uninstalling, it wiped out my entire desktop's contents; icons, files, etc. Unfortunately there was no "cancel" option and everything else had frozen up.

I rebooted my computer and did a System Restore to earlier in the day. My desktop items were still deleted (deleted beyond the Recycle bin) and I tried uninstalling again. The same thing happened, except this second time, it corrupted and disabled my Norton's Anti-Virus and Microsoft Office. Computer locked up.

Then it erased my entire C drive.

Needless to say this was very devastating to me, since I have my own business and have all of my business' information on my computer, along with personal/family photos, 8 years of email, Pearl Jam videos, etc. Fortunately I can retrieve about 60% of the information from backups, friends and family. The rest I've attempted to salvage with a data mining/recovery program.

So please... beware of this program. I'm not sure if it contains a virus, or it just interacted with my computer in a very bad way, but be very careful when uninstalling it. And if you don't have it - DO NOT install it.

And don't forget to always backup your important info. I learned the hard way :'(

Laura
Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
♥♥♥
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    oh damn that is awful.. im so sorry for all that you have lost.. and thanks for the heads up.. i hope you sent an email to them and told them what happened
  • Options
    DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited November 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on