cannot check hotmail.com or msn email

iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
edited December 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
while at a relative's home, i could not check my hotmail. a guy there told me he can never check his msn email there on his dad's PC....i discovered it when i was making a hotmail account for the owner of the computer. he's not very experienced with computers; this is why i was registering the account for him.

have you ever heard of anything like that? do you suppose there is a set up in Norton thinking it's spam or spyware? the only browser he has on his pc is mozilla firefox, so that is what i was using.

i got into the hotmail registration screen and registered his account. then it would not let me activate it (i activated it fine at home).

when i tried to check my hotmail at his house, i was able to log in my username and pw. after that, it just kept trying to access my inbox and nothing happened, no errors. just nothing. a blank screen.
9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
10/10 - Brad in B'more
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

  • JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    I'm assuming you used FF to do it at home... (cause there are some sites that just don't work properly in FF)

    Try in IE (I hoped never had to say this :o)

    Check the anti-virus/anti-spyware's 'black list' for any hotmail/microsoft/live/msn entries.Check your cookie settings as well.

    maybe more details can lead to a better analysis of the problem
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

    - Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Jamal wrote:
    I'm assuming you used FF to do it at home... (cause there are some sites that just don't work properly in FF)

    Try in IE (I hoped never had to say this :o)

    Check the anti-virus/anti-spyware's 'black list' for any hotmail/microsoft/live/msn entries.Check your cookie settings as well.

    maybe more details can lead to a better analysis of the problem

    well they live 2 hours from me, so it will be a while before I can check it out.
    yes I used FF to do it at home.
    thanks
    they have deleted IE from their computer because they had so many problems.
    they had 4 viruses. I got rid of them last Christmas.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    BTW, it's best to keep IE installed (even f you never use it) for occasions where the site's incompatibility with a good browser is supposedly the problem.

    I can only guess at it, but it's possibly a cookie problem.

    *edit*
    Maybe you can try remote desktop to sort things out? :)
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

    - Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,721
    edited January 2010
    iluvcats wrote:
    while at a relative's home, i could not check my hotmail. a guy there told me he can never check his msn email there on his dad's PC....i discovered it when i was making a hotmail account for the owner of the computer. he's not very experienced with computers; this is why i was registering the account for him.

    have you ever heard of anything like that? do you suppose there is a set up in Norton thinking it's spam or spyware? the only browser he has on his pc is mozilla firefox, so that is what i was using.

    i got into the hotmail registration screen and registered his account. then it would not let me activate it (i activated it fine at home).

    when i tried to check my hotmail at his house, i was able to log in my username and pw. after that, it just kept trying to access my inbox and nothing happened, no errors. just nothing. a blank screen.

    edit: yes, I also have HUGE problems checking email away from home, all the time, even on newer computers.

    HOTMAIL SUCKS!!!

    I had it for TOO long... then I got fed up and looked online at people's ratings of the free email services and Hotmail was way at the bottom with something like 30% good ratings, where as Yahoo has 90% good ratings and Gmail has 96% good ratings.

    You need to be invited to Gmail, but I have SO many invites to Gmail.

    You can PM me and I'll reply with an invite for your own account if you'd like. Just put "Please Invite Me To GMAIL" in the subject line.




    Ps: Once you get used to Gmail after just a week or so, you'll wonder why you didnt do it sooner!
    Post edited by CJMST3K on
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    CJMST3K wrote:
    edit: yes, I also have HUGE problems checking email away from home, all the time, even on newer computers.

    HOTMAIL SUCKS!!!

    I had it for TOO long... then I got fed up and looked online at people's ratings of the free email services and Hotmail was way at the bottom with something like 30% good ratings, where as Yahoo has 90% good ratings and Gmail has 96% good ratings.

    You need to be invited to Gmail, but I have SO many invites to Gmail.

    You can email me and I'll reply with an invite for your own account if you'd like. Just put "Please Invite Me To GMAIL" in the subject line.

    [email protected]


    Ps: Once you get used to Gmail after just a week or so, you'll wonder why you didnt do it sooner!


    thanks for the invite :) i'm sticking with hotmail for now.
    see i did not have any "hot" emails i was looking for. i can check mine fine from work, for example. my relative has issues with his earthlink or mindspring email, so i was trying to help by creating a hotmail account for him. after all his bitching and moaning, he said his email was fine.

    whatever! but i will look at his settings next time i'm there...
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    uninstall norton, evil program. download avg free anti virus, from grisoft.com should fix your problem
Sign In or Register to comment.