Options

Cable modem/computer help

brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
edited August 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
for the last month our cable modem has been disconnecting about twice a day, no problem, all i have to do is restart the computer and unplug/plug modem back in...it's just getting annoying now. what could be causing this?

oh, and apparently an 'unknown computer' is detected on our network. i'm thinking this just means that someone in the complex is bumming free net off of us. does this pose any risks to my system or computer?

thank you guys :)

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    We had a lot of trouble with ours until they finally replaced the cables in our neighborhood. Now it never disconnects. I'd try calling comcast. If enough people do that maybe they will replace yours too. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    call your isp.
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:
    We had a lot of trouble with ours until they finally replaced the cables in our neighborhood. Now it never disconnects. I'd try calling comcast. If enough people do that maybe they will replace yours too. :)

hey!

how about that weekend at the Gorge? the shows were good but we had a bad weekend overall, sorry about not calling

• Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    You certainly don't want to let strangers on your Wi-Fi....they could potentially access your data on your computer and cause all sorts of havoc. Secure that first and foremost.

Second....as far as your modem disconnecting from your ISP....call them for sure. Unless you have spilled something on your cable modem....they shouldn't go bad.
  • Options
    bigpermbigperm Posts: 46
    If you have wireless, then you should at the very least enable WEP encryption. Then, only the people with the WEP key (you) will be able to use your internet.

Also, what type of router do you have? I have a DLink DI-614+ and if there is a long period of inactivity, it just cuts off the internet connection and you have to restart. It is a known problem that DLink engineers apparently have been unable to fix.
    6-29-98 Chicago, 10-9-00 Chicago, 4-23-03 Champaign, 6-18-03 Chicago, 7-1-03 Bristow, 10-1-04 Reading, 10-11-04 DC, 9-30-05 Atlantic City, 5-30-06 DC, 6-17-08 VA Beach, 8-17-08 DC (Ed), 6-15-09 Baltimore (Ed), 5-13-10 Bristow, 10-29-13 Charlottesville, 4-18-16 Hampton
  • Options
    wow. ok, this shows how little i know about computers...so i called the tech help today and told them about the supposed computer on my network. first of all, i dont even have wi-fi, so i don't know what i was thinking..second, the IP address is actually the cable modem that Trend Micro is detecting. the guy got a good laugh out of that.

as far as the modem disconnecting, he thinks it might have had something to do with Trend Micros settings.

anyway, thank you guys :)