Options

“I’m looking forward to Bonnaroo,” bassist Jeff Ament told Billboard

einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
edited March 2008 in The Porch
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23732318/

By Jonathan Cohen
Billboard

updated 4:13 p.m. PT, Thurs., March. 20, 2008

NEW YORK - After playing just two shows in 2007, Pearl Jam will return to the road this summer for a 10-date tour beginning June 11 in West Palm Beach, Florida.

The dates are in conjunction with the group’s previously announced co-headlining appearance at Tennessee’s Bonnaroo Festival in mid-June.

“I’m looking forward to Bonnaroo,” bassist Jeff Ament told Billboard. “The thing that’s probably the most exciting to me is that we’ve been a band for 17 or 18 years and there’s still things like this that we haven’t done.”

The trek includes a June 24-25 stand at New York’s Madison Square Garden, which has hosted some of the band’s most memorable shows. Kings of Leon will provide support June 11-17, and Ted Leo and the Pharmacists will open the other dates.

Earlier this year, band members got together for eight days to begin kicking around ideas for the next Pearl Jam album, Ament said, cautioning that “it doesn’t mean there’ll be a record out next month, but it’s the start of the process. Sometimes it takes six months and sometimes it takes two years.”

“It’s just fun to play,” he continued. “We’ve actually gotten really good at jamming with each other, so it’s fun to get together and crank up the amps. We’ll have (drummer) Matt (Cameron) throw a beat at us and try to come up with something. There’s some new, different kind of things coming out of people.”

According to guitarist Stone Gossard, “We’re just getting into it, which is so exciting. We have no idea where it’s going, but we have a lot of great little starts.”

Band members have plenty on their individual plates as well. Gossard is working on his second solo album with longtime collaborator Pete Droge, and guitarist Mike McCready is preparing for his annual benefit show for the Northwest Chapter of the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America, set for May 3 at Seattle’s Showbox.

Meanwhile, frontman Eddie Vedder’s first solo tour, a short West Coast run, will get under way April 2 in Vancouver. “He’s going to do great,” Ament said. “He’s been warming up for this his whole life, but especially the last seven or eight years, playing a song or two himself before our shows.”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I think Bonnaroo will be a lot better than most think. I didn't have high expectation for Lollapalooza last year, but I do for Roo this year. I can't wait!
  • Options
    Love their quotes about the next album. Its just great to hear that they are still excited to play together.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Pearl Jam didn't just play 2 shows in 2007. :)

I guess they only counted US shows.
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Einatshaul, thank you for posting the article.

I'm looking forward to The 'Roo also. Just hope PJ plays the 14th or 15th. Yahoo maps says its a 677.2 mile drive from the St. Pete Times Forum in Tampa to my hotel in Shelbyville,TN. I thinks its another 30 to the Roo. PJ playing the 13th at The Roo would be a tough drive.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    im really excited for Roo now that Jeff is
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2