Options

xbox 360 vs ps2

2»

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    360 still has a better line up of games but at least some of the multiplatform games are improving on the PS3.
    Example - I have Assassin's Creed for the 360 and my bro has it for the PS3. There were lots of freezing or framerate problems with the PS3 version until it was patched (judging by PS3 forum postings anyway, my bro didn't have any problems with it) and I got to try out the PS3 version while I was home for break. The two versions are virtually identical in every way. There may be some graphical differences, but they're so insignificant I don't count them.
    Even the controller switch (although I'm used to the PS3 controller anyway) was flawless.
    Edit - I should mention that I absolutely love Assassin's Creed, and fully endorse both versions ;)

On topic, I like the 360 controller much better than the PS3 controller, although the only problems I have with the PS3 controller are shooters (and signal loss, that is very annoying...hasn't been too bad since I got a replacement system from Sony).

I have more fun with the 360, but my PS3 game library is finally improving with Uncharted and Warhawk recently added. Uncharted is quite nice, too.

So to the OP - either way you can't go wrong. The future looks bright for the PS3, and there are some quality titles already available, and the 360 is already in a good spot and since it is this fun now it will probably maintain that level until the next round of game systems.
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    call of duty 4 is badass too to play online, minus the lobby. i heard assassin's creed is really repetitive, is that true? from what i heard 2k8 has nothing on nhl08 this year. i heard everything is much better on nhl.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    inmyrvm wrote:
    call of duty 4 is badass too to play online, minus the lobby. i heard assassin's creed is really repetitive, is that true? from what i heard 2k8 has nothing on nhl08 this year. i heard everything is much better on nhl.

Call of Duty is definitely awesome to play online.

I have Assassin's Creed, but have not played it too much yet, but I did hear it was repetitive as well.

Looking forward to Metal Gear, Grand Theft, Bionic Commando, and Final Fantasy coming out this year.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Options
    inmyrvm wrote:
    It is repetitive, but it isn't boring.
    It is repetitive in that each mission has 'x' number of side tasks that you can choose to do (or not do).
    You have to get 2 or more pieces of information in order to access the main assassination for the area you're in, and there'll be 4 informers or something where you can get your info (pick pocket, eavesdrop, interrogation, or informer). Then side missions include saving citizens, where a citizen is being harrassed by a group of guards, you kill them all and talk the citizen, done; pickpockets; interrogations; assassinations, etc..
    So it's repetitive in that there's 7 'save citizens' in one area, and 6 in another, etc, so the repetition is that the process is always the same. I haven't gotten bored with it yet and I'm on my last two main quest assassinations, having done every sidequest along the way (there's 9 total main assassinations, so 9 city sections over 3 cities to explore).
    There's' also various flags over the cities and kingdom to collect, akin to hidden packages from Grand Theft Auto, but without any reward.

I liked NHL 08 better than NHL 2k8, but haven't liked a 2K hockey game in a long time, and found neither to be significantly different enough from the 07 versions to bother buying.

And Call of Duty 4 is great, regardless of system (like AC).
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    Rygar wrote:
    It is repetitive, but it isn't boring.
    It is repetitive in that each mission has 'x' number of side tasks that you can choose to do (or not do).
    You have to get 2 or more pieces of information in order to access the main assassination for the area you're in, and there'll be 4 informers or something where you can get your info (pick pocket, eavesdrop, interrogation, or informer). Then side missions include saving citizens, where a citizen is being harrassed by a group of guards, you kill them all and talk the citizen, done; pickpockets; interrogations; assassinations, etc..
    So it's repetitive in that there's 7 'save citizens' in one area, and 6 in another, etc, so the repetition is that the process is always the same. I haven't gotten bored with it yet and I'm on my last two main quest assassinations, having done every sidequest along the way (there's 9 total main assassinations, so 9 city sections over 3 cities to explore).
    There's' also various flags over the cities and kingdom to collect, akin to hidden packages from Grand Theft Auto, but without any reward.

I liked NHL 08 better than NHL 2k8, but haven't liked a 2K hockey game in a long time, and found neither to be significantly different enough from the 07 versions to bother buying.

And Call of Duty 4 is great, regardless of system (like AC).
    ah thank you. if anyone wants to play COD4 on PS3 my name is HankScorpio77. what the hell, it could be a good time.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Duff_Man wrote:

good thing about the 360 is that if you hook it up to live you can download demos and try before you buy

PS3 offers this as well.
  • Options
    inmyrvm wrote:
    ah thank you. if anyone wants to play COD4 on PS3 my name is HankScorpio77. what the hell, it could be a good time.

I'll have to look for ya' on there!
    My screenname and player name is the same...

mca47

I think I'm up to level 31 now, if I remember right.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    360 over PS3 in my opinion. Everyone likes different games, and that being said, the 360 just offers better games to my taste. The controller seems to work way better with first person shooters than the PS3 controller. The LIVE service kicks ass and is updated often. No matter what you have heard, the crashing issue isn't that big of an issue anymore. My first xbox (launch console) crashed after a year of use, but the one that was sent to me in replacement hasn't had a single issue...You can connect it to your PC over a router and listen to all of your music and watch all of your videos and view all of your pics...Anyways, I haven't had a single complaint with my 360 and wouldn't even consider trading it for a PS3!
  • Options
    OnestabOnestab Posts: 19
    If you are buying it only for games, XBOX360. They have the lead on the games, and it plays in true HD, in that you can play the games in 1080p resolution for a true HD gaming experience (PS3 only plays in ~720p). Also, the XBOX360 controller is a LOT better.

However, if you are buying it to consolidate your DVD player and your gaming system, and are on a budget, you can't beat the PS3.

XBOX360 players that have purchased that HD-DVD player for $180.00 are going to have a paperweight come next Christmas, because Blu-Ray has already won the battle. Warner Brothers picked Blu-Ray last week, and Paramount's contract with Toshiba's failing HD-DVD ends in the summer.

If you are an economy gamer and a smart consumer, pick a PS3, save yourself some money on that next-gen dvd player, and enjoy grown up games with no online charges. XBOX360 is $8.00 per month or $50.00 per year. Playstation Network is free.
    Onestab
    "I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    1992, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2014, 2016 -- 13 and counting.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    Onestab wrote:
    If you are an economy gamer and a smart consumer, pick a PS3, save yourself some money on that next-gen dvd player, and enjoy grown up games with no online charges. XBOX360 is $8.00 per month or $50.00 per year. Playstation Network is free.

not sure what you mean by "grown up games"...

but $50 A YEAR for what Live offers...

i'm willing to pay that.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    Onestab wrote:
    If you are buying it only for games, XBOX360. They have the lead on the games, and it plays in true HD, in that you can play the games in 1080p resolution for a true HD gaming experience (PS3 only plays in ~720p).[/b].

That's not true.
    As long as the PS3 has a HDMI cable, it will play those games (created in 1080p) in 1080p.
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    If you like a certain game that is, or is going to be, platform-specific, then buy that system. Gears, Halo, FFXIII, etc.

Otherwise...meh. Too close to call.
  • Options
    Well, it appears that Microsoft may be coming to the conclusion that they picked the wrong format...

Can you imagine...yet ANOTHER Xbox 360! The "XBox 360 Super Ultra Elite". I wonder how much that would cost? ;)

Microsoft May Turn to Blu-ray
    The people get what the people want.
    by Martin Robinson, IGN UK
    UK, January 9, 2008 - Following something of a disastrous week for backers of HD-DVD technology, with the announcement of Warner Bros defecting to its chief rival and murmurings of Paramount going the same way, Microsoft has revealed that should the tide turn towards Sony's technology it would consider supporting the Blu-ray with the Xbox 360.

Speaking to Reuters, group marketing manager for Xbox hardware Albert Penello said, "It should be consumer choice; and if that's the way they vote, that's something we'll have to consider." Microsoft has previously aligned themselves to Toshiba's technology, offering an HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox 360 and having been rumoured to be implementing a HD-DVD drive for future incarnations of its console.

Warner Bros's recent defection to Blu-ray technology sent shockwaves through the industry, even forcing Toshiba to cancel its Consumer Electronics Show presentation earlier this week. However, Penello was ultimately supportive of HD-DVD, stating that "…I've seen this battle declared over so many times. I want consumers to have a voice in this and I think there are a lot of consumers who bought HD-DVD who are going to have a say in how this shakes out."
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    That's not true.
    As long as the PS3 has a HDMI cable, it will play those games (created in 1080p) in 1080p.
    Truth.
    Most of the Xbox360 games (all but a handful, I believe) that list 1080p on the back are upscaled by the machine. They still look great though.

The PS3 will play 1080p games over component as well.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Well, it appears that Microsoft may be coming to the conclusion that they picked the wrong format...

Can you imagine...yet ANOTHER Xbox 360! The "XBox 360 Super Ultra Elite". I wonder how much that would cost? ;)

Microsoft May Turn to Blu-ray
    The people get what the people want.
    by Martin Robinson, IGN UK
    UK, January 9, 2008 - Following something of a disastrous week for backers of HD-DVD technology, with the announcement of Warner Bros defecting to its chief rival and murmurings of Paramount going the same way, Microsoft has revealed that should the tide turn towards Sony's technology it would consider supporting the Blu-ray with the Xbox 360.

Speaking to Reuters, group marketing manager for Xbox hardware Albert Penello said, "It should be consumer choice; and if that's the way they vote, that's something we'll have to consider." Microsoft has previously aligned themselves to Toshiba's technology, offering an HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox 360 and having been rumoured to be implementing a HD-DVD drive for future incarnations of its console.

Warner Bros's recent defection to Blu-ray technology sent shockwaves through the industry, even forcing Toshiba to cancel its Consumer Electronics Show presentation earlier this week. However, Penello was ultimately supportive of HD-DVD, stating that "…I've seen this battle declared over so many times. I want consumers to have a voice in this and I think there are a lot of consumers who bought HD-DVD who are going to have a say in how this shakes out."

It would cost just more than the elite, or the pro with the HD DVD add on. The HD DVD built in 'XBox Ultimate' rumor was shot down almost as often as the MGS4 on 360 rumors were. I doubt they'll make a built in BR XBox so much as release a BR add on a la HDDVD add on.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    It would cost just more than the elite, or the pro with the HD DVD add on. The HD DVD built in 'XBox Ultimate' rumor was shot down almost as often as the MGS4 on 360 rumors were. I doubt they'll make a built in BR XBox so much as release a BR add on a la HDDVD add on.

Yeah, I was actually kind of joking. It just seems like every 3 months they are coming out with a different version of the "same" system.
    Oh well...
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Yeah, I was actually kind of joking. It just seems like every 3 months they are coming out with a different version of the "same" system.
    Oh well...
    That's true for the PS3 and 360...
    I did get the joke, however.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    inmyrvm wrote:
    ps3, xbox's break like crazy. you pay to play online with xbox, you don't with ps3. ps3 has superior graphics. the xbox controller still sucks too. nhl08 is probably the best sports game in the last 5 years or so too.
    now that's an argument for me!

I want Guitar Heroes..not just the last one either, I've been wanting it for a year now (since my cousin got it last xmas and we spent the night playing..haven't touched it since but still thinking about it!).
    Problem is I have the only bloody console it's not on: Xbox (regular one), though there's no technical reason for that :mad:

I don't like sports game, racing games, shooting games at all.. I only play platform or sometimes adventure games..

I could (should) go the cheapest way and get a PS2..but there's Rock Band coming up which I'm not sure is on it, and anyway would like to be able to play online..(I don't presume you can play cross-platform by any chance? i.e. a PS3 owner can't play with a 360 one?)

Xbox360 is slightly cheaper to buy..but the GHIII is like 25% cheaper on PS3.

don't care about Blue-Ray (got a huge DVD collection, but have hardly bought any in the last year and no intention to replace the ones I have), not likely to get a HDMI tv anytime soon unless mine packs-up.

just that the PS3 is so damn expensive!
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    now that's an argument for me!

I want Guitar Heroes..not just the last one either, I've been wanting it for a year now (since my cousin got it last xmas and we spent the night playing..haven't touched it since but still thinking about it!).
    Problem is I have the only bloody console it's not on: Xbox (regular one), though there's no technical reason for that :mad:

I don't like sports game, racing games, shooting games at all.. I only play platform or sometimes adventure games..

I could (should) go the cheapest way and get a PS2..but there's Rock Band coming up which I'm not sure is on it, and anyway would like to be able to play online..(I don't presume you can play cross-platform by any chance? i.e. a PS3 owner can't play with a 360 one?)

Xbox360 is slightly cheaper to buy..but the GHIII is like 25% cheaper on PS3.

don't care about Blue-Ray (got a huge DVD collection, but have hardly bought any in the last year and no intention to replace the ones I have), not likely to get a HDMI tv anytime soon unless mine packs-up.

just that the PS3 is so damn expensive!
    The PS3 is actually much more affordable now (350 for a 40G).

I'd argue with inmyrvm though: I can't stand the Sixaxis controller (controlwise, for shooters; otherwise they seem to drop their fn' signal constantly on me, over two 60G systems...). The 360 controller is the best console controller I've ever used.

My first 360 lasted just over a year and I'm on 3 months with the second. The exchange was 7 business days, so I can deal with that.
    PS3's exchange was similar (but had a prob with shipping the box to me, which I don't count).

I'd say check out the games to make your decision. Either is a solid choice overall.