Options

Can too much oil damage my car?!!

pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Okay, I admit it. I know nothing about cars!

Put some oil in mine this morning, and it looks like I've put too much in!
It's about 1cm over the full-line on the dip-stick. It's running fine, it sounds normal & there's no smoke coming out the exhaust. So far!

I've a read a little on the net about it just now, and it seems like too much oil could be really bad !!!!

I don't wanna leave it and end up doing more damage. But also don't wanna take it to a garage and get charged when it's not really necessary.

Can anyone help?! Any info much appreciated
Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    If it's 1cm over the full line I wouldn't worry about it. I think what they're talking about is if you put a lot more oil in than needed. That 1cm should burn off with no problem.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    well i dont know your answer but you could just let alittle oil out.
  • Options
    If it's 1cm over the full line I wouldn't worry about it. I think what they're talking about is if you put a lot more oil in than needed. That 1cm should burn off with no problem.

Cheers. It's kinda what I was thinking. Just wanted to see what others thought!
    Cymru Am Byth

1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Options
    well i dont know your answer but you could just let alittle oil out.

Was thinking of that, but really wouldn't know where to start doing that!!! Embarrassing I know. 30 yeard old guy, can't even put oil in a car properly!!

Cheers for the response any way.
    Cymru Am Byth

• Options
    1 cm over the full line is no problem.

Too much oil though can bust the seal around the head gasket and cause it to leak.
    the Minions
  • Options
    1 cm over the full line is no problem.

Too much oil though can bust the seal around the head gasket and cause it to leak.

Cheers.
    Loads of people have said 1cm shouldn't be a problem.
    But the engine management computer thing is saying there's a problem too. Maybe I should just bite the bullet & get it checked out !!
    What an idiot!!!
    Cymru Am Byth

• Options
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Cheers.
    Loads of people have said 1cm shouldn't be a problem.
    But the engine management computer thing is saying there's a problem too. Maybe I should just bite the bullet & get it checked out !!
    What an idiot!!!

computer sensors can be alittle too touchy. if i dont put my gas cap on tight enough i get the service engine light. i would drive it a day or two(thats me) and if the light stayed on maybe get it checked then..
  • Options
    computer sensors can be alittle too touchy. if i dont put my gas cap on tight enough i get the service engine light. i would drive it a day or two(thats me) and if the light stayed on maybe get it checked then..

That's the way I'm thinking too, to be honest! Just hope I don't regret it!!
    Spent over £2,000 on the bloody car over the past 2 years as it is. Don't wanna spend any more !!!!
    Cymru Am Byth

• Options
    Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    I know you said it's about 1cm over the full mark on the dipstick, but I have a couple other questions:

-- How "low" on oil were you, and how much did you put in?

-- How long since the last oil change?

It's not uncommon at all for cars to use a bit of oil in between changes; I'm just trying to get an idea of how low you might've been and how much you put in. The dipstick isn't always a great indicator of exact oil level. What kind of car do you have?

If you added a couple ounces and it put you 1cm over the full line, I think you'll be OK. Where you really start running into problems is overfilling by a quart or more. As the crankshaft rotates, it'll whip the oil into a froth (just like an egg beater)... oil lubricates very well, but a air/oil Cool Whip mix sucks, and can do some pretty good damage to the engine.
  • Options
    Motown322 wrote:
    I know you said it's about 1cm over the full mark on the dipstick, but I have a couple other questions:

-- How "low" on oil were you, and how much did you put in?

-- How long since the last oil change?

It's not uncommon at all for cars to use a bit of oil in between changes; I'm just trying to get an idea of how low you might've been and how much you put in. The dipstick isn't always a great indicator of exact oil level. What kind of car do you have?

If you added a couple ounces and it put you 1cm over the full line, I think you'll be OK. Where you really start running into problems is overfilling by a quart or more. As the crankshaft rotates, it'll whip the oil into a froth (just like an egg beater)... oil lubricates very well, but a air/oil Cool Whip mix sucks, and can do some pretty good damage to the engine.

It's a Fiat!! No surprises that there are problems I hear you say!!

It was running really low on oil. Was due for service on Saturday, but garage couldn't fit me it. So I decided to put some oil in myself, to keep me going till I could get a full service done.
    Cymru Am Byth

• Options
    LesbelgesLesbelges Posts: 434
    I don't think 1cm above the line would cause much of a problem.

Did you check your oil when the engine was cool or hot?
    Cincinnati '03 Flooded venue!
    Bridge School '06 Night 1 & 2
    Venice '07 pummeled by the sleet! 
    Nijmegen '07
    Werchter '07
    April Fools ~ LA1
  • Options
    Both !!

I originally put the oil in when it was cold though. Think that's how I made the mistake. When I checked the level half way through putting the oil in, don't think it'd settled. So the dip-stick showed it needed more!
    Cymru Am Byth

• Options
    I once tried to put a gallon of oil in my car. I was surprised to see it all go into the car, but then horrified to see majority of it spilling out the bottom of the car. I never drove the car again and had to clean up a huge mess.

drtyfrnk29 = Genius. But I always tell people I made a decision at about 15 to play guitar or understand automobiles. I picked guitar
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.