Options

Sir Hillary has passed away

Comments

• Options
    RIP

I don't know much about the man except that he's a New Zealand hero, and of course the first man to scale Everest. To be honest, the only thing I know about him was from some of the special content on the LoTR DVDs. Peter Jackson was in awe when Hillary came to see a scene being shot.. Hillary was pretty old back then and not in the best of shape, but Jackson made a comment about how well he got up a muddy hill that others were falling on.. I guess a trip up Everest helps with that.. He was also signing money for the cast and crew (not sure which denomination his face graces, the 5?).
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    RIP

I don't know much about the man except that he's a New Zealand hero, and of course the first man to scale Everest. To be honest, the only thing I know about him was from some of the special content on the LoTR DVDs. Peter Jackson was in awe when Hillary came to see a scene being shot.. Hillary was pretty old back then and not in the best of shape, but Jackson made a comment about how well he got up a muddy hill that others were falling on.. I guess a trip up Everest helps with that.. He was also signing money for the cast and crew (not sure which denomination his face graces, the 5?).
    yep the $5. he was a living kiwi icon & hero. our nation will go into mourning, he will be the greatest loss for this country in 2008 & we're only 11 days in. RIP Sir Ed :(
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    i didnt realise he was SUCH and icon in NZ, but yeh first man to climb everst, pretty significant
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    :( He certainly lived a full life, that's for sure. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    Yep, Sad day in NZ, going to be a big funeral
    He ranks right up there in Kiwi Mythology, i mean everyone speaks highly of him, known as the greatest living NZer before he died, there isnt many that are held in such high reguard in any industry, the only other person who is held in such esteem is Colin Meads!
    and he may still hold on to that title, a genuine hero, alround decent guy, always thought of others ahead of himself.
    Even went to the Antarctica last year at 87 lol,

Not bad for a bee keeper, who was told he was crazy and would never get to the top roflmao
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    I always love the way he never actually said who got to the top first and that he and Tenzing did it together. Not many other climbers gave their sherpas so much respect.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    did you know he still lists his telephone number & address in the phone book? he said he loved chatting to the people who were brave enough to call him :)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    The thing is, he was always more proud of his work that he did in Nepal building hospitals and schools for the sherpas/himalayans in the many years that followed than the actual feat of scaling Everest. And that's why he's a great loss to both NZ and those living on the other side of the world in the Himalayas.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    You would have to be crazy trying to climb something like that. And what did he say "we beat the bastard"..... Classic
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I always love the way he never actually said who got to the top first and that he and Tenzing did it together. Not many other climbers gave their sherpas so much respect.
    Allegedly it's well known amongst the mountaineering community that Hillary actually made it to the summit first but most people think Tenzing did, I assume because of the photo of Tenzing at the summit with the flag.

which is really cool when you think about it. much respect to Hillary for that.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    itsevobaby wrote:
    did you know he still lists his telephone number & address in the phone book? he said he loved chatting to the people who were brave enough to call him :)
    awww wow :o those mountaineering/exploring folks are very much like that though. I've been in email contact with one quite well known and he replies to every single email... not just from me.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Allegedly it's well known amongst the mountaineering community that Hillary actually made it to the summit first but most people think Tenzing did, I assume because of the photo of Tenzing at the summit with the flag.

which is really cool when you think about it. much respect to Hillary for that.
    I'm pretty sure in The Hillary Step, even Peter said his father never told them which of them got there first. Pretty amazing, I mean you could keep it going for a while perhaps but eventually you'd have to just blurt out that you were the first :D

Considering how much disrespect is generally shown towards the sherpas, this is a pretty huge thank you. Knowing what I know about everest, it's highly likely neither of them would have made it without the other though so I suppose that's definitely fair.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    next question is how they remeber him a public holiday is a big vote,
    Run to the hills
    run for your life