Options

Moving to Australia at the end of Feb

kristophedkristophed Posts: 73
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Thinking of going to Wollowgong (sp?) with 3 other friends. Any suggestions?
Looking to work somewhere in the golf industry.

Just wondering if anyone from the area can give some info.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Why Woolongong? Not that it's a bad thing, just unusual that if yer moving to Oz that you'd pick there. I don't know a whole lot about it, cept that it's a large country town and hot as fuck in summer.
    Whatever the case, good luck, and welcome to Oz when you get here.
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    kristophed wrote:

wow why wollongong is a good question.. nice place indeed... not sure how many courses are down there though...
    i'd suss it out first... it's a large-ish country town yes... what area of golfing?

good luck with the move... dont forget to get a visa ;)
  • Options
    I'm from the good old 'Gong and have lived here all my life...

there are a few golf courses here and I could maybe see what I can find out for ya if you'd like...but what kinda aspect of it are you after?

but yep...hot in summer and cold in winter - the same as every other city in Oz haha :p
    I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stoney G.

http://www.myspace.com/ozbeachbum

7/11/06 - Sydney 1
    18/11/06 - Sydney 3
    19/11/06 - Newcastle Baby!
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    The Gong has some nice surf. A town of 200k or so people? South of the Gong it's all these huge industrial steelworks in Port Kembla. North of the Gong is a most beautiful drive through a national park where you've got these cliffs on one side of the road and the Pacific Ocean on the other. There's a university there, with the majority of the students living locally, so there's a sizable crowd of uni students.

It's about an hour's drive to the southern outskirts of greater Sydney, add another to get to middle of town.

Getting home to the Gong after a late gig in Sydney town is a bit of a bitch, but you live in Canada so I assume you're used to driving fair distances, so that mightn't be a problem.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    3 friends that are going planned this for months I decided Xmas eve when I saw them out that I would go. I'm just planning to stay for a year so any golf related job would be nice. Mainly just looking towards golf because I love to golf.
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    That's a pretty narrow aim jobwise, but good luck!

Just make sure you have the right visa to work.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Ya it is pretty narrow, i'm not just looking at golf but getting a job at a course would be ideal (free golf or cheaper)
  • Options
    kristophed wrote:

What type of visa are you applying for? I'm planning on moving to adelaide asap and I'm applying for a skilled independent visa. The migration agent said it would take 6-15 months to be approved...plus I've done 6 months of pulling all the documentation together. If there is a quicker way please let me know!!! I think it might be easier for Canadians to move there though. Good luck with your move!
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • Options
    there's not much money in golf unless you're a touring pro. Club pros in the SouthEastern United States only make about $24,000 a year (Plus whatever they get from Private Lessons). Are you trying to make a lifelong career out of this?
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    yeh i cant see how ud make money, but hey if its what u wanna do
  • Options
    No just some spending money, not looking for a career. Just getting a 1 year work permit. Kinda just going to go.

On another note hopefully PJ tours Oz
  • Options
    kristophed wrote:

Awesome that you're coming to Oz. I don't know much about golf but Wollongong is a really nice place. FairyMedow has nice beaches and places further south like Kiama are really nice too. Good luck.