Options

Sometimes OLD movies just can't be beat...

sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I rented Adam's Rib today, the Tracy-Hepburn classic. HILARIOUS, still, nearly sixty years later- unbelievable.

Other favorites of mine- Philadelphia Story, Arsenic & Old Lace- pretty much anything with Cary Grant- Rear Window, Look Who's Coming to Dinner, Dial M for Murder, Maltese Falcon...

Tell me yours, and I'll give them a try next. :)
"Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
~ed, 8/7
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I rented Adam's Rib today, the Tracy-Hepburn classic. HILARIOUS, still, nearly sixty years later- unbelievable.

Other favorites of mine- Philadelphia Story, Arsenic & Old Lace- pretty much anything with Cary Grant- Rear Window, Look Who's Coming to Dinner, Dial M for Murder, Maltese Falcon...

i love Philadelphia Story.

is Airplane an old movie??? :p
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options

''Barefoot in the Park'' starring Robert Redford and Jane Fonda is a classic favorite of mine.
  • Options
    Bridge over the river Quai. 1957.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Auntie Mame...1950's....hollah
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Does Mary Poppins count? :p
    It's older than me...
    Anyway, I spent the afternoon on the sofa, watching...and singing along to all the songs :o
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    I always make an effort to watch an Errol Flynn movie over the holidays. This year, Adventures of Robin Hood. The Excellent Thing.:D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Shop Around the Corner!
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    thin man is awesome, the chemistry between myrna loy and william powell is awesome, not to mention the dialogue

also 'to have and have not' with bogie and bacall. one of the best scenes ever :)
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,395
    I like many of the old black and white movies. I like the way they look as well as the dialogue.

I also think it's interesting how some old cultural "ideas" stick out even in the comedies like the Thin Man movies. I think I enjoy noticing those underlying, "not part of the story" bits almost as much as anything.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Bridge over the river Quai. 1957.
    Even without the force, Alec Guinness is pretty good.
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I saw Strangers on a Train the other day for the first time. Brilliant film. Hitchcock was a genius.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I watched A hard days night again the other day and I still think that its an amazing flick
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Gaslight
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Dont know what were using as criteria for old here but The Last Picture Show is one that I will always watch no matter where it is in the film and, of course, The Magnificent Seven.

"We deal in lead, friend."
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    "Oldest" movies I like are The Exorcist and Young Frankenstein
  • Options
    I used to like 'Paper Moon' when I was younger.. been a while since I've seen it though. I think my parents made me watch it.. I'm also a big fan of 'The Maltese Falcon' and 'North by Northwest'. I find it hard to believe that it took me 26 years to see 'Citizen Kane' (I saw it for the first time about 6 months ago) which was a hell of a movie, even though I knew the ending :P
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,659
    Well, two of you just sold me. I am gonna watch Maltese Falcon before I return it to a co-worker.