Options

Jim Leyritz arrested on suspicion of DUI, vehicular homicide.

senninsennin Posts: 2,146
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3171228

Updated: December 28, 2007, 1:56 PM ET

Former major league baseball player Jim Leyritz has been arrested in Broward County, Fla. on suspicion of drunken driving and vehicular homicide, WPLG-TV in Miami reported Friday.

The station reported that according to Fort Lauderdale police, a car driven by Leyritz, who lives in Plantation, Fla., hit another car at Southwest 7th Avenue and Second Street early Friday morning.

According to the report, the passenger in the car that Leyritz allegedly struck was ejected from the car and died at the scene, police said.

Leyritz, whose 44th birthday was Thursday, refused a Breathalyzer test, police said, according to the report.

The station reported that according to police records, Leyritz was booked at 4:30 a.m. and ordered held on $11,000 bond.

Leyritz is most remembered for his Game 4 heroics in the 1996 World Series while a member of the New York Yankees.

With the Yankees trailing the Atlanta Braves 2-1 in the series, Leyritz hit a three-run homer in the eighth inning to tie Game 4 at Atlanta. The Yankees won the game and the series, starting a run of a four championships in five seasons.

Leyritz, played 11 seasons in the major leagues for six teams including the Yankees, Angels, Rangers, Red Sox, Padres and Dodgers. He was a career .264 hitter with 90 home runs and 387 RBIs in 903 career games, primarily as a catcher and infielder.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    did he used to like spin his bat around all fancy-like when he was up to bat? Or am i thinking of someone else? I used to like that spin!!

but that sucks about him Killing someone!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Lizard wrote:
    did he used to like spin his bat around all fancy-like when he was up to bat? Or am i thinking of someone else? I used to like that spin!!

but that sucks about him Killing someone!

yeah, he was the bat spinner. great clutch hitter for the yankees and always seemed like a good person.
  • Options
    I am shocked to say the least.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    damm that sucks for the families involved specially for the dead person .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Who still drinks and drives in this day and age? Take a fucking cab. They should start hanging these idiots.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    wow, Leyritz came across as a stand-up, highly ethical kind of guy

I enjoyed listening to him last year on my MLB.com podcasts

that is such a shame for all parties involved.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    i hope he spends the rest of his life in prison..........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    i hope he spends the rest of his life in prison..........

Innocent until proven guilty? No? Another child of the media.

Anyway, as a Yankee fan, I can say that Leyritz wasn't well liked around the club house. From what I've read/heard, he was arrogant and self-centered. He was an OKAY player but wasn't a great teammate.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    Innocent until proven guilty? No? Another child of the media.

Anyway, as a Yankee fan, I can say that Leyritz wasn't well liked around the club house. From what I've read/heard, he was arrogant and self-centered. He was an OKAY player but wasn't a great teammate.
    ok...

if this piece of fucking crap is found guilty....

i hope he spends the rest of his life being gang raped in fucking prison.....

is that better?????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262

Leyritz burned his bridges when he left the Padres too. Made a few comments about Tony Gwynn that weren't well received.

Regardless, it's a tragedy. And as someone else pointed out, take a f'in cab. You earned millions at one point, you should have something saved up.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    he REALLY fucked up.
  • Options
    I fully agree with hanging him if he's guilty. Drunk Driving should be one strike and you're out. There is no forgive, no forget. You chose to make the ultimate reckless decision. you deserve to suffer.

About Leyrtiz, I am oh so happy to see my childhood heroes crash and burn one by one. I thought Leyritz was the coolest guy when he was a player. But if this was true, fuck him
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,078
    they referred to him as the "king" because he thought so highly of himself.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."