Options

Another big city Alt. Rock station bites the dust

Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Here in Atlanta, 99x, what used to be one of the most influential Alt. rock stations in the country, is getting axed and becoming online only. Not that I really listened to the radio much, but it sucks that there's not a radio option in a huge city like this that's pushing alt. acts anymore. Basically we're left with AAA Dave FM or Project961, which goes hard for the teenage boy market.

From AJC.com:

99X is going away. The more popular Q100 is going to move to the stronger 99.7 signal. The Bert Show, Q100’s franchise, will simulcast on both signals the week of January 21 before 100.5 changes format. Dickey wouldn’t say what the format is but my bet based on my conversation with him is it will be something like what Lite 94.9 used to be to grab older females.

The bottom line is they want Bert on a stronger signal to take on Star 94.

This morning, Cumulus canned 99X’s morning show, including original 99X morning host Leslie Fram and Jenners. They also ousted Steve Craig, the midday guy who has been there since 1992 as well. I’m not sure what will happen to Axel and Matt C and Lewis. Craig, who wrote his 99X email account was shut down before he got home, said fans and friends can reach him at radioflyer99x@yahoo.com.

99X has seen a steady decline in ratings and revenue since 2002, a victim of competition and the faltering fortunes of the alternative rock genre, plus an inability to put together a successful revamped morning show. .

Fram was instrumental in developing the sound of 99X and was part of the successful Morning X with Jimmy Baron and Steve Barnes in the ’90s. Just this past November, she was rewarded a lifetime Achievement in Radio award at the March of Dimes annual radio banquet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thats what happens when major corperations own all the stations.
    model, role model, roll some models in blood