Options

Job Hunting

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I seem to be unemployable. I graduated from college this past year with a degree in Sociology and now have begun the job search after some time thinking and contemplation. Problem is, I am seemingly unemployable. I was lucky enough to not have to work during high school and college, and have had only one “job” which was a summer sports camp deal a few years back. This of course seems to be the hang-up. I don’t have experience. Yet, the only way to get that experience would be to be offered a job. And again, with no job experience, this is a challenge. No one seems to want to hire a person who doesn’t have experience. It’s the catch 22. Obviously I now see that getting a job in high school or college would have been the ideal and helpful in this part of my life. But I can’t do anything about that now.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have a degree and have a lot of volunteer experience, but thus far haven’t had much luck in the job search. Is there anything I can do with my resume or the few credentials I have to make my job search more fruitful?

How do I go about this? How can I get hired for a job, with little to no real work experience on my resume?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Don't know, I'm in the same shit hole as you are. My college degree is useless to me, I'm beginning to regret going to college and my internships.

My only guess is to do more non-paid internships, but that won't promise you anything either.

BTW, how the fuck did Peter Jennings get his gig at NBC without a college degree?
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    I know so many people who came home from college were upset b/c they did not have a job after the degree. Thats the real world.
    I suggest you get dirty and take a odd job for the time being. Mix it up and look at life from a different angle for a while. Sooner or later you will nail the right job that you are looking for. Be patient. Get a job at a liquor store or substitute teach, or do something you thought you would never do. It makes you grow as a person, really
    Good Luck........Your guidance counselor
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    I seem to be unemployable. I graduated from college this past year with a degree in Sociology and now have begun the job search after some time thinking and contemplation. Problem is, I am seemingly unemployable. I was lucky enough to not have to work during high school and college, and have had only one “job” which was a summer sports camp deal a few years back. This of course seems to be the hang-up. I don’t have experience. Yet, the only way to get that experience would be to be offered a job. And again, with no job experience, this is a challenge. No one seems to want to hire a person who doesn’t have experience. It’s the catch 22. Obviously I now see that getting a job in high school or college would have been the ideal and helpful in this part of my life. But I can’t do anything about that now.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have a degree and have a lot of volunteer experience, but thus far haven’t had much luck in the job search. Is there anything I can do with my resume or the few credentials I have to make my job search more fruitful?

How do I go about this? How can I get hired for a job, with little to no real work experience on my resume?

You can't. You have to know people or have connections through school or some alumni organizations, BTW both very worthy places to start.

I graduated with a degree in Sociology & I went to an Ivy League School. I also had a series of summer jobs and some babysitting gigs that I had to dress up to look good on my resume. Which I could have.
    However... I graduated into a WICKED job market and literally no one was hiring when I was sprung. In fact the topic of our commencement speech was the crappy economy and high unemployment.

Because no one would hire me, I went to Katie Gibbs (Katherine Gibbs) for 3 months, learned to type and be an assistant, and then moved to Colorado so I could ski my ass off. On the side, I ended up getting a job in the advertising area of a hotel and worked as a DJ on the side.
    When I came home the job market was better & I got a job no problem.

No legitimate organization is going to be doing any major hiring this year (unless you're in the market for a job kicking people out of the houses they can no longer afford).
    Pack up your stuff, go do something fun until we have a new President and DONT worry about not having a "real" job. There's a zillion years for that.

Good luck!!
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    carbon436carbon436 Posts: 352

I just graduated and am seriously afraid that when i quit playing baseball I'm going to run into this problem. I'm not too sure how 'in demand' accountants are...
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    carbon436 wrote:
    I just graduated and am seriously afraid that when i quit playing baseball I'm going to run into this problem. I'm not too sure how 'in demand' accountants are...
    They are in demands. The paychecks aren't as big as baseball players but you'll make it through.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Same thing here. I am hoping to hear something in the next few weeks. I've spoken to a few of the places I've sent my resume, and they've all said the same thing. Holidays, budget releases, calling soon. Hopefully, I'll hear something soon. Good luck to everyone.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks