Options

My boss just informed me that I am loosing my job

mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
What a great start to my week. My boss calls me into his office to tell me that my last day will be Dec. 21st. The agency I work for has decided to focus on it's interactive business and since I have no experience in interactive design I am being let go. On a business sense I completely understand their decision but it sucks none the less. For my line of work this is the worst time to be let go. Most agencies have their 2008 budget and staffing all shored up already. So now I get to try to find a job during the holiday season instead of just enjoying the time with my friends and family. Merry Fucking Christmas to me. :(
"When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    just what I was thinking, Merry Fucking Christmas!
    Sorry to hear the bad news, stay strong, there are plenty of jobs in the world!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    sorry to hear that news, keep your chin up, and wish you good luck job hunting ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    dude that blows....i'm so sorry....:(
  • Options
    oh my god, that's shit, I'm so sorry :o why do so many of them pick that time of the year to get rid of people... well obviously I know why... from a business and financial side of things it makes perfect sense, but from a humanitarian point of view it's fucked up.

Don't they have to give you a months notice? Or does that mean you finish on the 21st but get paid til the 3rd? Bastards :mad:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    Jobs are overrated.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    assuming your post means you didn't get a fat severance either ... sorry man ... or gal ... many of us have been there.

few notes ...

Ask for references before you leave.

Plan for cobra payments (it can be a budgetary kick in the nuts if you had an awesome benefits package that will not be covered).

Use their resources as much as possible ... start getting the resume together now on their dime ... why not?

play the lottery. you never know. sounds like a good story, "scheduled to lose their job on Dec 21 .... local person wins lottery, film at 11." :D
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    oh my god, that's shit, I'm so sorry :o why do so many of them pick that time of the year to get rid of people... well obviously I know why... from a business and financial side of things it makes perfect sense, but from a humanitarian point of view it's fucked up.

Don't they have to give you a months notice? Or does that mean you finish on the 21st but get paid til the 3rd? Bastards :mad:

They are not required to give me any notice. They where nice to tell me in advance so I can start looking. They could have just waited till Dec. 21st and told me at the end of the day. They told me they will give me 2 weeks severnce even though I haven't been here a full year yet so that is pretty cool of them because they didn't have to do that.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    Wow that sucks :( It is shite timing for sure. Best of luck to you!!!
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    They are not required to give me any notice. They where nice to tell me in advance so I can start looking. They could have just waited till Dec. 21st and told me at the end of the day. They told me they will give me 2 weeks severnce even though I haven't been here a full year yet so that is pretty cool of them because they didn't have to do that.
    :o well I guess that kinda softens the blow a bit... still shit but get out there and look and look and look and you'll get something :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Shitty indeed. Sorry to hear the bad news. It's times like these that make me think more and more about finding a way to work for myself instead of the man. They just let the guy at the front desk go on Friday and I think they're preparing to let go of a good friend and colleague by the end of December. Who knows, maybe I'm on the chopping block too. You can never feel secure in your job these days. Keep your head up. Best of luck with your job search.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Very sorry to hear that :(

You are located in possibly the best market for your line of work though, no?
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Got fired on Dec. 30th once..........so I feel your pain. Mine was at the end of the year where my Grandmother died and my first wife and I divorced.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    That sucks... sorry to hear. With all of the other stress that we seem to put on ourselves this time of year for the holidays, loosing a job just seems to add so much more.

As someone else said, use their time to do a lot of looking... Is there any work that you can do as sort of a freelancer in the meantime?

With every door that closes, another one opens...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    Got fired on Dec. 30th once..........so I feel your pain. Mine was at the end of the year where my Grandmother died and my first wife and I divorced.

Yes this has definitely been a similiar year for me. Just when I thought my luck was turning this fucking bomb gets dropped on me.

meme NYC is a good place to look for work if you are in the advertising business but this time of the year sucks. Most agencies have their budgets done and staffing done for the start of the 2008 fiscal year. I may be able to find freelancing assignments to get by on till I can find steady employment.
  • Options
    I am so sorry!

my thoughts are with you during this time!

this is prolly too soon to think of it this way but maybe this is a blessing in disguise???
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Sorry to hear the news. Positive employment vibes heading over the Hudson as we speak!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    I'm really sorry. That sucks.

I really hope you can get some good freelance work to float you.
  • Options
    That sucks, dude. Well, at least you can ditch the kids every other weekend and have fun w/ your new lady friend.
  • Options
    I wrote a song about you boss, its called 'fuck him'

sorry to hear about that bro
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    So sorry to hear that. Keep looking up though.

I got notified of a layoff on December 1st once. It sucked, but I did get a 6-month severance package. And that is exactly what I took off. I stayed home with the kids for 6 months and then out of nowhere found a job.

Good luck.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    holy shit ! Sorry...
    Bosses shouldn't be allowed to fire people in December; just before Christmas...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,222
    Well at least they gave you 3 weeks notice to slip on a pencil and throw your back out, thus collecting worker's comp for 6 months.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    John Budge wrote:
    That sucks, dude. Well, at least you can ditch the kids every other weekend and have fun w/ your new lady friend.

I don't ditch my kids. Trust me I would rather have my kids everyday of the week instead of a girlfriend but they have a mother and she deserves to spend equal time with them too.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,071
    sorry to hear that. Hope things work out for you....
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    what kind of jackass fires someone around Christmas? good luck getting a new job.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Yes this has definitely been a similiar year for me. Just when I thought my luck was turning this fucking bomb gets dropped on me.

meme NYC is a good place to look for work if you are in the advertising business but this time of the year sucks. Most agencies have their budgets done and staffing done for the start of the 2008 fiscal year. I may be able to find freelancing assignments to get by on till I can find steady employment.

You'll do it. You have made it through so much lately. You are tough and ready for this new challenge, I can tell :)
  • Options
    John Budge wrote:

Hope you don't have kids
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    Hope you don't have kids
    This thread isn't about me. Let's try to stay on topic, folks!!
  • Options
    John Budge wrote:
    This thread isn't about me. Let's try to stay on topic, folks!!

I think you strayed off topic by taking a nice jab at me due to my divorce and custody arraingment.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    What a great start to my week. My boss calls me into his office to tell me that my last day will be Dec. 21st. The agency I work for has decided to focus on it's interactive business and since I have no experience in interactive design I am being let go. On a business sense I completely understand their decision but it sucks none the less. For my line of work this is the worst time to be let go. Most agencies have their 2008 budget and staffing all shored up already. So now I get to try to find a job during the holiday season instead of just enjoying the time with my friends and family. Merry Fucking Christmas to me. :(

Ah man drag. Right before Christmas? What dicks!
    That is really a shitty thing to do right before the Holiday.
    Really really sorry.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.