Options

Winter Apparel

AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
So, I walk a lot and it's cold in the winter. I'm in the market for a new pair of gloves and winter shoes. I'm not a boot fan really. I need something with lots of traction, water protection and preferably warm. I was thinking Gore-Tex, but they are very expensive. Any suggestions?
I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    This is a pretty decent store and website for deciding on footwear. They have everything.

I've bought the following from them so far. The docs have superior traction, although you would need some wool socks if you're trudging through the snow, you also have to rub mink oil in them every so often to protect the leather. the mat finish looks good though, I've always loved docs, it takes forever to wear out the soles, and they're so light. Not exactly a winter boot, but I can't say I've ever had cold feet in them with a good pair of socks. I wouldn't take them tobogganing however, a wool insert type boot is the warmest situation.

http://www.softmoc.com/ca/systemshow-item_I146001002
    http://www.softmoc.com/ca/systemshow-item_IM15168S
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Thanks Roland. That stuff isn't very cheap though.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Thanks Roland. That stuff isn't very cheap though.

The Tommy Hilfiger's are on sale for $40. The sole is not as durable as docs are. I had a pair of docs last me 5 1/2 years. The soles on those things are indestructible. If you wore them only in the winter, and kept em lubed up and salt free, you'd get that amount of life out of them easy. That's about $20 a year for footwear...not bad.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Are Doc Marten's waterproof? I need some new boots for when it snows and liked some of the docs. I don't need them to go through 2 feet of snow, just the inch or two of slush that forms on the sidewalks after they salt the streets.
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • Options
    Try an iPod touch. Perhaps a new macbook?
  • Options
    try http://landsend.com/. they are VERY reasonable/durable and have a ton of winter apparel choices.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Are Doc Marten's waterproof? I need some new boots for when it snows and liked some of the docs. I don't need them to go through 2 feet of snow, just the inch or two of slush that forms on the sidewalks after they salt the streets.

Some are sealed already at the factory and they have a shiny look. I like non shiny leather look, and just rub some dubbin into them every once and a while to keep them water proof. If you step into a puddle higher than your ankle, water slips in as they are laced, so they are not water tight. Docs are the lightest most durable (and comfortable) boots and shoes I've ever worn.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I got a pair of Sorel Caribous from http://www.grapevinehill.com , cost aboot $80 deliveed her in Oz, was end of season though. They ain't hiking boots, but they'll keep your tootsies warm.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    I hope this is some help but why don't you just buy some cheap ones and from an outlet store or something and then toss them away, put them in a recycling bin and buy some new ones in spring.
    I can easily buy shoes for £10 in this country, I'm sure you could do the equivalent?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,258

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    Nice! This episode was 13 years old when this thread started. Now this thread itself is nearly 17 years old.

350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,849
    Freezy Freakies Remember this Retro Fad from the 80s - TownLift Park  City News
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,764
    Vaguely. Gloves that changed colors...I bundle up once it gets cold. Layers for my layers. Spend lots of time outside. Dad always told me .."you can always take something off if you're too hot"

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,849
    Loujoe said:
    Vaguely. Gloves that changed colors...I bundle up once it gets cold. Layers for my layers. Spend lots of time outside. Dad always told me .."you can always take something off if you're too hot"

was just gonna post this image/gif :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,764
     B) 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,452
    I “inherited” your basic Carhartt jacket. Pretty damn warm when layered over something…and tougher than a two dollar steak.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,494
    Wobbie said:
    I “inherited” your basic Carhartt jacket. Pretty damn warm when layered over something…and tougher than a two dollar steak.
    I love my Carhartt jackets. The more you wash and wear them the more comfortable they get.