Options

and so it goes...

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
that I spend another night not sleeping. can anyone suggest some herbal remedies (that you have experienced and know work :)) for insomnia? I've heard a lot about valerian root. is it worth checking out? I figure I should try out the natural options before I go begging the doctor for some drugs.

thanks in advance :o:)
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Good Weed.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    that I spend another night not sleeping. can anyone suggest some herbal remedies (that you have experienced and know work :)) for insomnia? I've heard a lot about valerian root. is it worth checking out? I figure I should try out the natural options before I go begging the doctor for some drugs.

thanks in advance :o:)

melatonin. it's not herbal per se I don't think, but it's a supplement to your natural sleepy hormones. it works really well for me and most of my friends.
  • Options
    Cutback wrote:
    herbal remedy.... ;):D
    Ok, there's no way that's real, right? :eek:
    melatonin. it's not herbal per se I don't think, but it's a supplement to your natural sleepy hormones. it works really well for me and most of my friends.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Warm milk or herbal tea and a warm bath....and some weed...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    cutback wrote:

o ma gawd
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Milk. :) There's a lot to be said for milk. :)

http://www.bestandworst.com/v/117470.htm

I cannot recommend relaxation meditation enough. The kind where you tense then relax each of the muscle groups in your body. Works a treat. Get a cd. :)

Oh and seriously, when all else fails, don't muck about, go get some sleepers from the doc. Those things will save you. Trust me. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    Milk. :) There's a lot to be said for milk. :)

http://www.bestandworst.com/v/117470.htm

I cannot recommend relaxation meditation enough. The kind where you tense then relax each of the muscle groups in your body. Works a treat. Get a cd. :)

Oh and seriously, when all else fails, don't muck about, go get some sleepers from the doc. Those things will save you. Trust me. :)
    My new year's resolution, funnily enough, was to deal with my insomnia with meditation, not medication :) I just need a quick fix. The meditation requires practice. I'm reluctant to go on prescription pills because I have an addictive personality. I don't know if I'll be able to come off them.
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    cutback wrote:
    i gasped out loud at that. wow.

WOW.

anywhoo lol chamomile tea or warm milk with a bit of honey and a hot bath can do teh trick :)
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    i gasped out loud at that. wow.

WOW.

anywhoo lol chamomile tea or warm milk with a bit of honey and a hot bath can do teh trick :)

We think alike! Neat!

Yeah, all that pot looks like our friends' basement...that's gotta be in BC...for sure!
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    We think alike! Neat!

Yeah, all that pot looks like our friends' basement...that's gotta be in BC...for sure!
    *making plan to visit vedderfan10's friends' basement.....with a big ass totebag* :D
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Start a new save file of FFVIII and stock up on magic you draw from enemies. :p:D

Take a hot, relaxing shower and drink some Chamomile [sp?] tea. Works for me.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    *making plan to visit vedderfan10's friends' basement.....with a big ass totebag* :D

i'll pick you up along the way! :D:D
  • Options
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    Start a new save file of FFVIII and stock up on magic you draw from enemies. :p:D

Take a hot, relaxing shower and drink some Chamomile [sp?] tea. Works for me.
    :D haha this one made me happy. I could do. I should draw 100 sleeps and see if it helps :rolleyes:

I'm going to try and force myself to sleep now. If it doesn't work, one of my flatmates has a box of chamomile tea. I'll boil it down enough that I can fit a massive dose into one cup and OD on herbs :)
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    sweet! i'll be right by teh freeway exit with a totebag and mummy hand :D
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    My new year's resolution, funnily enough, was to deal with my insomnia with meditation, not medication :) I just need a quick fix. The meditation requires practice. I'm reluctant to go on prescription pills because I have an addictive personality. I don't know if I'll be able to come off them.

:D You need a 3 Minute Meditation or Breathing exercise. That's how I started. It's much easier for those of us with hyperactive minds to start small and build up. And the 3 Minute stuff really does help quite quickly. I'm trying to find you the link now. :)
    Most of my meditation, well the successful stuff anyway, is from John Kabat-Zinn. Me not being religious, I kinda needed a more cognitive solution.

As to the sleepers, well I understand what you are saying, because it was my main concern when I was talking to my doctor about them. I have an addictive type personality too but only with some things. I've found the zolpiderm tartrate based sleepers to be non addictive and REALLY helpful.
    I'll see if I can find you some info. BUT in the meantime, I cannot stress how good milk is and if you can't guzzle shitloads of that in a day, calcium capsules are really helpful. There's a reason, I just can't remember what it is right now. :D (maybe I need some brahmi! ;) )
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    :D haha this one made me happy. I could do. I should draw 100 sleeps and see if it helps :rolleyes:

I'm going to try and force myself to sleep now. If it doesn't work, one of my flatmates has a box of chamomile tea. I'll boil it down enough that I can fit a massive dose into one cup and OD on herbs :)

I've got 100 Sleep's attatched to my attack, I'll punch you lightly, you'll be great for the night!
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    eat a handful of almonds around bedtime. they're high in tryptophan...same amino acid found in turkey that causes the post-thanksgiving coma.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    i don'ty think it's considered 'herbal'...but is most definitely considered 'natural': melatonin. it can help. :) good luck. not sleeping sucks big time.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    I've got 100 Sleep's attatched to my attack, I'll punch you lightly, you'll be great for the night!
    haha :D:D:D awesome post. I hope you aren't serious though. You could totally junction something better than sleep :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Oh and I eventually got to sleep naturally... at 6am :o with a 8am start :o:o

time to break out the horse tranquillisers methinks :D
  • Options
    TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    cutback wrote:

I wanna come too!! :D
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.