Options

One or two spaces after a full stop

ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I was always taught two spaces at school and still type two spaces. But now I'm wondering if I should change to one space. Most books and websites only seem to ever use one space after a full stop.

What are the correct rules? What's being taught in schools now?
★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    2... !
    wah
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    All word processors in the world dictate 1 space. Any more and you get that annoying squiggly spellcheck underliney thingy.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options

Well that is what I have always been told.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    2 and one after a comma... that's what I've always done. I'm currently working for the most particular boss in the world and if he hasn't changed it to 1, well it's 2 :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    i've always used only 1.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    I was taught 2 and then I was taught 1.

We were always taught to use half an m-space kinda thingy after an exclamation mark or whatever by pressing space + apple button + shift + 6 + the reset button... I don't know... I never really paid much attention :D

I think the general rule is that no one really cares. ;)
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Spacing after full stop
    In typewritten texts and other documents printed in fixed-width fonts, there is a convention among lay American English writers that two spaces are placed after the full stop (along with the other sentence enders: question mark and exclamation mark), as opposed to the single space used after other punctuation symbols. This is sometimes termed "French spacing".

In modern English-language typographical usage, debate has arisen concerning the proper number of trailing spaces after a full stop (or exclamation mark, or question mark) to separate sentences within a paragraph. Whereas two spaces are still regarded by many outside the publishing industry to be the better usage for monospace typefaces, the awkwardness that most word-processing applications have in representing correctly the 1.5 spaces that had previously become standard for typographically proportional (non-monospace) fonts has led to some confusion about how to render the space between sentences using only word-processing tools.

Many descriptivists (i.e., people who describe how language is used in practice) support the notion that a single space after a full stop should be considered standard because it has been the norm in mainstream publishing for many decades. This is supported by the MLA, APA[6], and The Chicago Manual of Style.[7] Many prescriptivists (i.e., people who make recommendations for rules of language use), meanwhile, adhere to the earlier use of two spaces on typewriters to make the separation of sentences more salient than separation of elements within sentences. Since current style guides are founded on the consensus of practice, the evidence strongly suggests that most people accept the single space in modern word-processing, largely for the reason that two spaces may stretch inordinately when full justification is applied. Additionally, many computer typefaces are designed proportionately to alleviate the need for the double space (the opposition would of course reply that this does nothing to satisfy the aforementioned saliency issue). Most widely accepted contemporary style guides categorically require that only one space be placed after full stops and similar punctuation marks, and they characterise modern practice as avoiding it.[8]

With the advent of the World Wide Web, the broader distinction between full stop spacing and internal spacing in a sentence has become largely moot. Standardized HTML treats additional whitespace after the first space as immaterial (siding unquestioningly with the one-spacers), and ignores it when rendering the page. A common workaround for this is the use of   character entity (non-breaking space) to represent extra spaces, and this is done automatically by some WYSIWYG editors.

An argument for having two spaces after a full stop arises from accessibility, or universal design. It is often reported that people with dyslexia prefer double spacing after a full stop.[9] See justification (typesetting) for further discussion.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    most computer typing programs do it automaticly. the old 2 space thing comes from typewriters, which are stupid machines, so some letters are wider than others so your supposed to use 2 spaces. computers know what they are doing and autocorrect for space differences. i could be wrong with this but i think spaces on typewriters use the center of letters, which is what throws everything off.

edit:i was too slow and less detail
  • Options
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I was always taught two spaces at school and still type two spaces. But now I'm wondering if I should change to one space. Most books and websites only seem to ever use one space after a full stop.

What are the correct rules? What's being taught in schools now?
    OMG! I have NEVER heard of this :eek: It's a long time since I was at school, so either they didn't teach that then, or I just didn't listen :o

But, anyway......too set in my ways to change now :p

Interesting though, Zig :)
  • Options
    Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    dunkman wrote:
    Spacing after full stop
    In typewritten texts and other documents printed in fixed-width fonts, there is a convention among lay American English writers that two spaces are placed after the full stop (along with the other sentence enders: question mark and exclamation mark), as opposed to the single space used after other punctuation symbols. This is sometimes termed "French spacing".

In modern English-language typographical usage, debate has arisen concerning the proper number of trailing spaces after a full stop (or exclamation mark, or question mark) to separate sentences within a paragraph. Whereas two spaces are still regarded by many outside the publishing industry to be the better usage for monospace typefaces, the awkwardness that most word-processing applications have in representing correctly the 1.5 spaces that had previously become standard for typographically proportional (non-monospace) fonts has led to some confusion about how to render the space between sentences using only word-processing tools.

Many descriptivists (i.e., people who describe how language is used in practice) support the notion that a single space after a full stop should be considered standard because it has been the norm in mainstream publishing for many decades. This is supported by the MLA, APA[6], and The Chicago Manual of Style.[7] Many prescriptivists (i.e., people who make recommendations for rules of language use), meanwhile, adhere to the earlier use of two spaces on typewriters to make the separation of sentences more salient than separation of elements within sentences. Since current style guides are founded on the consensus of practice, the evidence strongly suggests that most people accept the single space in modern word-processing, largely for the reason that two spaces may stretch inordinately when full justification is applied. Additionally, many computer typefaces are designed proportionately to alleviate the need for the double space (the opposition would of course reply that this does nothing to satisfy the aforementioned saliency issue). Most widely accepted contemporary style guides categorically require that only one space be placed after full stops and similar punctuation marks, and they characterise modern practice as avoiding it.[8]

With the advent of the World Wide Web, the broader distinction between full stop spacing and internal spacing in a sentence has become largely moot. Standardized HTML treats additional whitespace after the first space as immaterial (siding unquestioningly with the one-spacers), and ignores it when rendering the page. A common workaround for this is the use of   character entity (non-breaking space) to represent extra spaces, and this is done automatically by some WYSIWYG editors.

An argument for having two spaces after a full stop arises from accessibility, or universal design. It is often reported that people with dyslexia prefer double spacing after a full stop.[9] See justification (typesetting) for further discussion.

God, i think that's the most boring thing i ever read!!!!

err did i use the correct spacing after my comma? ;)
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    God, i think that's the most boring thing i ever read!!!!

err did i use the correct spacing after my comma? ;)
    :eek: You READ it? I think I managed two words.

Summarise please dunk :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,090
    dunkman wrote:
    Spacing after full stop
    In typewritten texts and other documents printed in fixed-width fonts, there is a convention among lay American English writers that two spaces are placed after the full stop (along with the other sentence enders: question mark and exclamation mark), as opposed to the single space used after other punctuation symbols.

Thats what I was taught when I did my RSA Word Processing
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    Since word processors automatically change the two spaces to one, surely ONE space is now the norm and TWO spaces is outdated?

Do kids still have typing as a subject at school?
  • Options
    illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Since word processors automatically change the two spaces to one, surely ONE space is now the norm and TWO spaces is outdated?

interesting.. surely they must?

i always used 1 space 'til i had to do my thesis... thesis/journals/etc... require 2, and guidelines state this
    wah
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    2 and one after a comma... that's what I've always done.
    That's what I do, though most things I type are on the internet so it doesn't really matter anyway! The only reason I do two after the end of a sentence is because I don't like how it looks if there's only one.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    ZiggyStar wrote:

None of the WP I use change the two spaces to one, nor do they indicate a grammatical error. I'm still using two.
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:
    That's what I do, though most things I type are on the internet so it doesn't really matter anyway! The only reason I do two after the end of a sentence is because I don't like how it looks if there's only one.
    same here :o it really looks wrong when somebody uses 1 space... or if something's justified and the spaces are all over the place :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Two after a full stop and one after a comma. Still relevant as my daughter, who is 13, was also taught this at school.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,859
    I was taught 2 after a period and one for everything else...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Rygar wrote:
    None of the WP I use change the two spaces to one, nor do they indicate a grammatical error. I'm still using two.

Same here and I've always done two after a full stop one after a comma. Never had anyone comment or say it was wrong either.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    I like two; however, when I went back to school last year I had to follow APA guidelines on my papers. APA format says one space. Anything more, and I get dinged for points. :(
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    redrock wrote:
    Two after a full stop and one after a comma. Still relevant as my daughter, who is 13, was also taught this at school.

tis correct :)
  • Options
    Great. Thanks guys. TWO it is then.

Yet books only use one....hmmmm.....
  • Options
    Chime wrote:
    Same here and I've always done two after a full stop one after a comma. Never had anyone comment or say it was wrong either.
    Yip, this is the first I've ever heard of it.

I'd imagine books use one as a cost saving thing. Imagine all the extra spaces would probably save a few pages... especially if a book is in mass production. Although that could be complete bullshit :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I am one space person.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    It's one space.
    It's not two spaces.
    However, I'll try and remember to ask my English teacher today.
    She'll know something about it I'm sure.

btw, when I wrote that poetry book last year.
    One space, size 12 font, I believe this is a size 12 font right here.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Here you go... either/or

"In typewritten texts and other documents printed in fixed-width fonts, there is a convention among lay American English writers that two spaces are placed after the full stop (along with the other sentence enders: question mark and exclamation mark), as opposed to the single space used after other punctuation symbols. This is sometimes termed "French spacing".

An argument for having two spaces after a full stop arises from accessibility, or universal design. It is often reported that people with dyslexia prefer double spacing after a full stop.[9] See justification (typesetting) for further discussion."
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    redrock wrote:
    Here you go... either/or

"In typewritten texts and other documents printed in fixed-width fonts, there is a convention among lay American English writers that two spaces are placed after the full stop (along with the other sentence enders: question mark and exclamation mark), as opposed to the single space used after other punctuation symbols. This is sometimes termed "French spacing".

An argument for having two spaces after a full stop arises from accessibility, or universal design. It is often reported that people with dyslexia prefer double spacing after a full stop.[9] See justification (typesetting) for further discussion."

Something about your post seems so familiar. I wonder what it could be.
    dunkman wrote:
    Spacing after full stop

;)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    2... !

exactly!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Something about your post seems so familiar. I wonder what it could be.

;)

That will teach me not to read a thread through! Or... another explanation.. I am so in awe of Dunkman that I have to repeat what he says!

Sorry guys! Will pay attention next time!