Options

One or two spaces after a full stop

2»

Comments

• Options
    I always learned 2 and then I worked for this company that had its own "style" we had to always use it was only 1 and everyone was like "no one uses 2 spaces anymore. that was back in the days of typewriters." now I don't even know what I do.
  • Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    dunkman wrote:
    With the advent of the World Wide Web, the broader distinction between full stop spacing and internal spacing in a sentence has become largely moot. Standardized HTML treats additional whitespace after the first space as immaterial (siding unquestioningly with the one-spacers), and ignores it when rendering the page. A common workaround for this is the use of   character entity (non-breaking space) to represent extra spaces, and this is done automatically by some WYSIWYG editors.

omg, that irritates the bejeesus out of me. I'm a firm believer in adding two spaces at the end of a sentence to make it clear that it is the end of the sentence.

We were taught to add two in typing class in school.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    I have always used 2 spaces at the end of a sentence. That's the way that I was taught. It just doesn't feel right trying to use 1 space.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.