Options

A Diamond is Forever...

13»

Comments

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    my wife bought her own engagement ring.. if it got lost then i'd never be able to describe it :o

thats actually the truth.

i also have no idea how to work a washing machine
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    There ain't enough jewelry in the world for that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/Whizbang/funny%20stuff/l_0e614308a1877a254fb4bcfaa1666c0b.jpg

And, I'd rather have a house than a ring.

totally agree with you. hell, if i get my own house i'm might just rent out the upstairs part of the house and never work again!
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    Jammin909 wrote:
    The topic is engagement rings…

What is the tradition in other countries around the world? I find it stressful and unnecessary that a man is EXPECTED to fork over a thousand+ dollars for an engagement ring.

i strongly doubt about getting engaged with anyone ever in my life, but if it happens a ring made out of leafes will do just fine for me :) yes, it's my hippy side of me coming out now :D
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    If you people are putting down less than ten thousand dollars as a down payment on a house, you may as well get the ring. lol
    Cuz you are gonna be up to your neck in mortgage payments with that.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,673
    Don't forget to see Blood Diamond if you are thinking of buying a rock. I'm with Dexter on this topic. Artsy is better.
  • Options
    StellyStelly Posts: 170
    TrixieCat wrote:
    If you people are putting down less than ten thousand dollars as a down payment on a house, you may as well get the ring. lol
    Cuz you are gonna be up to your neck in mortgage payments with that.

Exactly!! I hate the "I'd rather have a downpayment on a house" argument. The ring is a better investment! When I bought my wife's ring, it was immediately appraised at $3,000 more than I paid for it.

Better than the current housing market.
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Jammin909 wrote:
    The topic is engagement rings…

What is the tradition in other countries around the world? I find it stressful and unnecessary that a man is EXPECTED to fork over a thousand+ dollars for an engagement ring.

You don't have to spend that much. Spend what you can afford and be sensible. (I've been married 25 years so I guess my ideas count for something!) He gave me what he could when we were both starving students, and then last year on our 25th anniversary he gave me this:
    http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q118/PJningal/ring.jpg
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    When my gf and I were discussing rings last summer she pulled a figure seemingly out of the air that I was ok with. Personally, I'm not a believer in the two or three times monthly salary theory.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    you buy what you can afford

and putting money into real estate is a better investment 90% of the time

Thats what we did an now and are in a better cash position than if we spent big bucks on a ring.
  • Options
    tish wrote:
    Don't forget to see Blood Diamond if you are thinking of buying a rock. I'm with Dexter on this topic. Artsy is better.

i was gonna mention Blood Diamond.
    i swear, i don't ever want another diamond after seeing that film last year...
    tragic.

i got my engagement ring 23 years ago (married for 21 years next month)
    and i don't think a diamond is necessary.
    there are so many other stones and antiques are special too.
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    The diamond should be big enough so that other guys know it's not worth it to walk over from the other side of a bar and come and hit on the chick.

Mark your turf, men! :D

Seriously though, I would be happy with whatever. My first marriage, I didn't even have an engagement ring. Second time around, I just so happened to find a guy that liked to give me shiny sparklers to adorn myself with.