Options

i need a favor from an aussie

ihavadogihavadog Posts: 146
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
my girlfriend collects a bottle of sand every time we go on vacation. she went to the east coast of australia on a student ambassador program in high school, before she started collecting, and didn't get any sand.

i know this may sound strange but i'd pay shipping and all. I'm trying to do something different this christmas.

i figured this was the best place to turn.

cheers!
i want to be enlightened

like i want to be told the end
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ihavadog wrote:
    my girlfriend collects a bottle of sand every time we go on vacation. she went to the east coast of australia on a student ambassador program in high school, before she started collecting, and didn't get any sand.

i know this may sound strange but i'd pay shipping and all. I'm trying to do something different this christmas.

cheers!

Well, it's raining like a mofo right where I am, and once again my driveway is washing away and dumping itself at the front door. Sooooooooooooo, I can send you a bottle of the average aussie driveway? It wouldn't get there before xmas though. :(
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    ihavadog wrote:

cheers!
    will sand pit a.k.a sandbox sand do? Might have a little bit of urine in it though.... :eek:

no way will it ship to you before xmas...
  • Options
    vital5 wrote:
    will sand pit a.k.a sandbox sand do? Might have a little bit of urine in it though.... :eek:

no way will it ship to you before xmas...

pass on the urine soaked sand...

anybody?
    i want to be enlightened

• Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Well I'd offer but it's not like I'd be able to do it this week, which kinda messes with your plan for Christmas anyway.

I mean might get to the beach sometime late next week but then by the time I've posted it, you'll be lucky to see it before the new year. And I'm not sure they'd let me post sand to you anyway. The list of what you can't send is way longer than the list of what you can.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    it can be a late christmas present...
    i want to be enlightened

• Options
    ihavadog wrote:
    it can be a late christmas present...

Ok. :)

Well I'll ask at the post office today if I can post sand.

Where are you? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    you're the best... i'm in philadelphia
    i want to be enlightened

• Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    That's so sweet... she's a lucky girl :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    I'm right outside of Philly and I'm going to Australia for the holidays and will be right near the beach - I could bring some back for you, but I won't be back till mid-January. PM me your address and I'll ship it to you when I get back if you don't mind waiting a few weeks.
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • Options
    that sounds good, her birthday's in mid-january

pm sent
    i want to be enlightened

• Options
    Perfect - I'll ship it as soon as I get back - should get to you within a day or 2 of that. Happy Birthday to your girlfriend :)
  • Options
    Oh good! :)

Sorry ihavadog, I missed your last post but seems our new honory Aussie's got it sorted for you anyway. :)

Sing out if you need a hand otherwise looks like it's all sorted. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited November 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
  • Options
    DinghyDog wrote:
    you'd be very lucky getting any form of soil through customs.

Yeah, I reckon too, considering I wasn't allowed to send Tim Tams to the US.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    EddiEEddiE Posts: 125
    Well sand gets everywhere....just empty your shorts pockets if you go swimming/sunbathing ....Im sure you'll get enough sand out of them lol
    Paris 7/11/96
    Manchester 4/6/00
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Jeanie wrote:
    Well I'd offer but it's not like I'd be able to do it this week, which kinda messes with your plan for Christmas anyway.

I mean might get to the beach sometime late next week but then by the time I've posted it, you'll be lucky to see it before the new year. And I'm not sure they'd let me post sand to you anyway. The list of what you can't send is way longer than the list of what you can.
    Soil samples (eg. sand) can be taken out of the country. They just can't be taken in.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Hinny wrote:
    Soil samples (eg. sand) can be taken out of the country. They just can't be taken in.

Yeah, but will they be accepted into the US? Coz they aren't taking Tim Tams or Vegemite this week so I can't see em accepting sand. But I'll ask at the Post Office anyway.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    tim tams not allowed through? :eek: i send some every 6 months or so, nearly time to send again... :eek:

is this just for xmas or forever? :eek:
    wah
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Just go to the loca; sand and cement store, and get a bottle full of sand. She won't notice the difference
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    EddiE wrote:
    Well sand gets everywhere....just empty your shorts pockets if you go swimming/sunbathing ....Im sure you'll get enough sand out of them lol

dude, you gave a great idea! instead of neatly packing the sand, it can be scattered all over the bag......just pretend to be a messy person. and they won't suspect at thing
  • Options
    tim tams not allowed through? :eek: i send some every 6 months or so, nearly time to send again... :eek:

is this just for xmas or forever? :eek:

Well this is the thing girl. I tried a couple of weeks ago and was told that a new thing had come into effect and the FDA wasn't allowing any food items into the US. So I couldn't send the tim tams or any of the other stuff I wanted to send. But a few people have said that they've sent stuff AND that when they've asked Australia Post they don't know anything about it.
    But I read the bit in the guys book at my post office and it did say no food stuff so who knows? Give it a go, see if you can post em off OR better yet don't tell em and just see what happens. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    Yeah, I reckon too, considering I wasn't allowed to send Tim Tams to the US.
    Really? Tim sent me Tim Tams and vegemite (although I could live without the vegemite) :p I've sent him a bunch of food too and declared it on the customs form. Maybe sometimes they let it slide
  • Options
    Really? Tim sent me Tim Tams and vegemite (although I could live without the vegemite) :p I've sent him a bunch of food too and declared it on the customs form. Maybe sometimes they let it slide

When was it love?

Coz I think this new thing came into effect on the 1st of December and I know that not all the post offices are adhering to it. Who knows maybe the guy at my PO read it all wrong but the bit he showed me kinda said no food. So I couldn't post it after that coz he knew. Next time I think I'll just sneak the bloody things into the post pack and not ask. :D

OH! And best you be aquiring a taste for the vegemite. :D Put it on Vita weets with a bit of butter and squish it through the holes! It's fun!
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    When was it love?

Coz I think this new thing came into effect on the 1st of December and I know that not all the post offices are adhering to it. Who knows maybe the guy at my PO read it all wrong but the bit he showed me kinda said no food. So I couldn't post it after that coz he knew. Next time I think I'll just sneak the bloody things into the post pack and not ask.

OH! And best you be aquiring a taste for the vegemite. :D Put it on Vita weets with a bit of butter and squish it through the holes! It's fun!
    The vegemite was a while ago...the tim tams were probably before December 1st. I think candy, etc is allowed. The rules are always changing. Anyhthing I'm unsure about I label "gifts" :p Customs stopped me when I visited in April because I indicated I had food items in my luggage, but when I told them it was chocolate they waved me through...they'd be crazy to stop me from bringing in chocolate!

Not sure about this sand stuff now...I looked it up and it says "pure decorative sand" is permitted. Is sand from the beach pure and decorative? :confused:

Ewwww vegemite :( I like almost everything, but I just can't even stand the smell! Even my cat ran away. Tim's not even allowed to kiss me after eating it. :p That stuff is toxic!
  • Options
    The vegemite was a while ago...the tim tams were probably before December 1st. I think candy, etc is allowed. The rules are always changing. Anyhthing I'm unsure about I label "gifts" :p Customs stopped me when I visited in April because I indicated I had food items in my luggage, but when I told them it was chocolate they waved me through...they'd be crazy to stop me from bringing in chocolate!

Not sure about this sand stuff now...I looked it up and it says "pure decorative sand" is permitted. Is sand from the beach pure and decorative? :confused:

Ewwww vegemite :( I like almost everything, but I just can't even stand the smell! Even my cat ran away. Tim's not even allowed to kiss me after eating it. :p That stuff is toxic!

sand from a beautiful beach is absolutely pure and decorative....no worries if you can't do this i'll just have to take a little trip.

it's not like we're bringing in some foreign species of frog that's going to eat all the aussie crops and change the entire ecosystem
    i want to be enlightened

• Options
    chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    ihavadog wrote:
    it's not like we're bringing in some foreign species of frog that's going to eat all the aussie crops and change the entire ecosystem
    D'oh!
  • Options
    ihavadog wrote:
    sand from a beautiful beach is absolutely pure and decorative....no worries if you can't do this i'll just have to take a little trip.

I'll give it my best effort! I want be bringing any frogs back with me...but maybe a koala or two :)