Options

I got bugs in my house...

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
So I have found three house centipedes in my house (took me forever to identify them). They are creepy as hell. If you want to see a big ugly looking bug, google image house centipedes. their 100 legs are as long as their body, and they run really fast. But the really disturbing part is that if you have these things, it means you've got silverfish or roaches or firebrats- or something else for the house centipedes to eat. Now I rent this place and it's like 100 years old so god knows what is breeding down in that basement. I asked my landlord to get the place exterminated- is that reasonable?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    well depends what you're paying your landlord.

if paying like money just falls out of your ASS, then he/she should get the place exterminated.

thats so gross *cringes*
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    ewwwww, I loathe those bugs, I can't kill em, I just vacuum them up
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    ewwwww, I loathe those bugs, I can't kill em, I just vacuum them up

oo that's a good idea! last night I sprayed one but then I didn't know how to dispose of it.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    oo that's a good idea! last night I sprayed one but then I didn't know how to dispose of it.

yep, vacuum is the way to go :p
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    I think if you have a lot of them, it is reasonable to ask the landlord to exterminate them.

When we lived in Texas, I used to catch the giant flying bugs with the vaccum...but if they aren't dead they will crawl out later!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    I think if you have a lot of them, it is reasonable to ask the landlord to exterminate them.

well there has only been three, but these things breed in houses, they do not come in from outside. and they are very elusive, so I've only *seen* three but I'm assuming there are a lot more. and they are so big!!! Also when I read that they feed on other nasty things and only live in places that have those other nasty things, it makes me think that this whole house needs to be a pest control regimen.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    well there has only been three, but these things breed in houses, they do not come in from outside. and they are very elusive, so I've only *seen* three but I'm assuming there are a lot more. and they are so big!!! Also when I read that they feed on other nasty things and only live in places that have those other nasty things, it makes me think that this whole house needs to be a pest control regimen.

Then I think it's reasonable to ask. If you get resistance from the owner, look up the health laws that apply to this.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    now the questions

do you kill them?

become their friends?

do you eat them?

raw or well done?

do you trick them?

I don' think they're dumb.

do you join them?

looks like that's the one.
  • Options
    I think Silverfish are the tiny spawn of Satan.... scary.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    I think Silverfish are the tiny spawn of Satan.... scary.

Silver fish are gross, yes. but look what I have to eat them:

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Wallpaper/Nature/Horrors/HouseCentipede.jpg
  • Options

If I saw that in my house, I'd move.
  • Options
    If I saw that in my house, I'd move.

my brother and his friend said they would sleep on the front porch.

I'm considering it.
  • Options
    my brother and his friend said they would sleep on the front porch.

I'm considering it.

That has to be bad when you have to sleep outside to avoid the bugs.
  • Options
    :eek: I hate centipedes! Do you have a fireplace or wood-burning stove? Sometimes they come in on the firewood.
    Aren't centipedes poisonous?
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Are you allowed to have a cat? Cats eat bugs. They like them. We rarely see a bug or a spider, though I actually don't mind spiders - if they can survive the cats I let them be. If not, hmm, I think its reasonable to ask the landlord to do some extermination or can't you use one of those bug room sprays where you leave it spraying and come back later?
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    :eek: I hate centipedes! Do you have a fireplace or wood-burning stove? Sometimes they come in on the firewood.
    Aren't centipedes poisonous?

no I don't have either. these are "house centipedes" they like houses. I think some centipedes are poisonous, but there are probably thousands of species of centipedes. these are harmless except being creepy as hell. I think they are worse than the kind of centipedes you normally see.
  • Options

OH MY GOD! they are huge!!!! deffinatly get your house exterminated!!!

good luck :)
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    Are you allowed to have a cat? Cats eat bugs. They like them. We rarely see a bug or a spider, though I actually don't mind spiders - if they can survive the cats I let them be. If not, hmm, I think its reasonable to ask the landlord to do some extermination or can't you use one of those bug room sprays where you leave it spraying and come back later?

I'm allowed to have a cat, and I actually want one, but I'm totally allergic to them. but a cat would have a ball with these things- they dart around really fast.

I didn't know you could buy those bug bombs on the market. I'll check it out. problem I'm facing now is that a lot of sites are saying keep the centipedes because they eat roaches that might come in. I don't know which is worse.