Options

Help me pick out a NYE Menu!

given2fly78given2fly78 Posts: 404
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
This is our first NYE as non-drinkers. Yes, we don't drink anymore. Obviously, there is a reason.

So, I'm going to make a lovely, special dinner. Help me come up with a nice menu?

No seafood. I suck cooking seafood. It's the one thing I can't do well. I always overcook.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Oysters in vodka sauce?

Oh, I fucked that up, didn't I?
  • Options
    i made this...damn good...in fact, anything wrapped in bacon is awesome.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_21965,00.html
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    Oysters in vodka sauce?

Oh, I fucked that up, didn't I?

yes, yes you did LOL!

I do make a KILLER vodka sauce. Doesn't count if you eat liquor in food. It cooks off IMO.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Bacon wrapped scallops are tasty as fuck.
    As are bacon wrapped chestnuts. I'm not sure how they are made....but mom makes them...my good god they are great!
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I'm making the following... easy and not much hassle:

Starter: Fig, buffalo mozzarella and parma ham with honey dressing. Well dressed it looks a treat on the plate (and it tastes good too!)

Main course: Venison casserole - slow cooked in red wine, with mushrooms and lardons; served with a gratin dauphinois and steamed chantenay carrots (or any baby/small carrots. The venison is lovely, not much preparation and will cook on it's own. At the end, I top the casserole dish (or serving dish) with a ready rolled sheet of puff pastry a bit decorated (again, no work except cutting out bits of pastry decoration) and put it back in the oven for 15 minutes or so... looks spectacular. The gratin dauphinois can be prepared in advance as well.

Desert: Piece montee - put it simply it is profiterole type little choux, dipped in a caramel and stuck together making a kind of cone shaped tower (sort of) - though you can have any shape you want. Decorate with nougatine, fruit or other stuff to make it look nice.

All these things can be prepared in advance, don't require much attention so you can spend time with your guests. They look fantastic when brought to the table and taste good too.

Have a great evening!