Thanksgiving

Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,963
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
24 hour marathon of eating, drinking, cooking, and football. God I love this holiday.

Oh yeah, and being thankful for this life.
I love to turn you on
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• not a huge fan of thanksgiving. I used to like it in high school when we had the football game everything, but now it's just boring. It's just my immediate family eating a meal I don't really care for, and even if I did like it, my dad makes such a big deal about how no one is allowed to "pork" that you can't really enjoy it anyway. I feel like it's a day when you're just trapped in your parents' house with nothing to do. You have to be there, you can't do anything else, but at the same time there's nothing to do there. Same thing with Christmas day. I end up pacing around my parents' house itching to get out all day.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    I hear you Steve..I'll be leaving the city early as fuck to help the family with cooking...maybe even bust out a new stuffing recipe i've been looking into...I love Thanksgiving, for all of the reasons you mentioned and for the opportunity to hang out with family, which in this fast paced society we often neglect and/or can't do..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    not a big fan of the turkey.
  • i love thanksgiving, although it occurred to me the other day my family and i get together for meals often so it's not really that much of a departure from the usual thing. but i am glad it's a day off! we do our meal at lunchtime instead of at dinner which i think is better anyway, have time for a nap and a second round haha
  • not a big fan of the turkey.

yeah me either. I hate how everyone just makes turkey without really thinking about it. why? can't I have haddock for thanksgiving? the pilgrims and wampanogs had fish.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    24 hour marathon of eating, drinking, cooking, and football. God I love this holiday.

Oh yeah, and being thankful for this life.
    And A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving! Don't forget about that!
    Holden's school is celebrating that way...with popcorn, buttered toast, the Peanuts works....I cried when I found out...how cool is that?????

I love Thanksgiving.
    Sit around and eat and drink and be merry.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    not a huge fan of thanksgiving. I used to like it in high school when we had the football game everything, but now it's just boring. It's just my immediate family eating a meal I don't really care for, and even if I did like it, my dad makes such a big deal about how no one is allowed to "pork" that you can't really enjoy it anyway. I feel like it's a day when you're just trapped in your parents' house with nothing to do. You have to be there, you can't do anything else, but at the same time there's nothing to do there. Same thing with Christmas day. I end up pacing around my parents' house itching to get out all day.

Wow, I don't know you, but damn does this post stink of spoiled brat...it's all about the 'me' generation....
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    yeah me either. I hate how everyone just makes turkey without really thinking about it. why? can't I have haddock for thanksgiving? the pilgrims and wampanogs had fish.

Oh God....it's better if I don't comment further..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • The Champ wrote:
    Wow, I don't know you, but damn does this post stink of spoiled brat...it's all about the 'me' generation....

what is "spoiled" about it? I just don't like sitting around all day, I like to be out and about. thanksgiving for me is literally sitting in a chair staring at the wall all day, then I get up and pace. there's nothing to do. my family doesn't do anything on thanksgiving except eat, and we don't even like the eating.

I'm generation X, not me, btw.
    Gonna be cracking open the Pinot early :)....Now only if the Jets somehow find a way to win ;)...
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,963
    Alright, alright, enough already!

Truth be told, and I know (GTD) you've become a vegetarian, but turkey doesn't have to be THE MEAL. My in-laws cook a beef tenderloin to perfection, but only because they don't want to just have turkey. (I cook one outside on the grill anyway!!! :D )
    I love to turn you on
    what is "spoiled" about it? I just don't like sitting around all day, I like to be out and about. thanksgiving for me is literally sitting in a chair staring at the wall all day, then I get up and pace. there's nothing to do. my family doesn't do anything on thanksgiving except eat, and we don't even like the eating.

I'm generation X, not me, btw.
    You must have some boring family then. Sorry to hear it.
    We rock-n-roll wherever I am. WE drink, eat, play games, go for a long walk out in the leaves...maybe meet up with friends later on for more drinks.
    Holidays are what you make of them.
    I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Make it fun, dammit! :)
  • Alright, alright, enough already!

Truth be told, and I know (GTD) you've become a vegetarian, but turkey doesn't have to be THE MEAL. My in-laws cook a beef tenderloin to perfection, but only because they don't want to just have turkey. (I cook one outside on the grill anyway!!! :D )

yeah there are the few dissenters out there I'm sure :). Not in my house though. My mum doesn't let us near the kitchen when she's in it, and well, I guess we only have one oven, so I can't make any alternate dishes.
    Alright, alright, enough already!

Vegetarians don't eat fish....
    TrixieCat wrote:
    We rock-n-roll wherever I am. WE drink, eat, play games, go for a long walk out in the leaves...maybe meet up with friends later on for more drinks.

Agreed..We party like fucking rock stars...i'll put on some Bruce and PJ, cook, eat, drink, smoke cigars with dad, play cards etc....then we'll do it all again on Friday ;)....but by Saturday i'll be ready to head out..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    Gonna be cracking open the Pinot early :)....Now only if the Jets somehow find a way to win ;)...

First NFL game - noon.

First Thanksgiving beer - before noon.

Last Thanksgiving beer - before noon next day.
    I love to turn you on
  • TrixieCat wrote:

I wish I could!
    I'd like to do something interesting. my family is REALLY boring. my mum just cooks all day and freaks out if you go near her or talk to her because she's "concentrating" and my dad just watches TV and sleeps and acts grouchy. my brother still hangs out with some of his friends on t-giving, so he usually leaves for a while, but all my friends have family obligations. all my cousins have had their own children so we don't see them anymore. for me, holidays are literally about being trapped in the house. I've tried getting drunk, but my dad always gives me the evil eye when I drink, and I feel bad about it.
  • Alright, alright, enough already!

it's less often that my family even does turkey (even though we're doing it this year). i remember getting made fun of when i was little cuz we would have a beef roast/chicken with a bunch of spanish/cuban side dishes. my parents were immigrants so it ain't like they knew what the traditional thanksgiving meal was anyway....and it's not about what you eat anyway, but the act of sharing the meal together.
    I wish I could!
    I'd like to do something interesting. my family is REALLY boring. my mum just cooks all day and freaks out if you go near her or talk to her because she's "concentrating" and my dad just watches TV and sleeps and acts grouchy. my brother still hangs out with some of his friends on t-giving, so he usually leaves for a while, but all my friends have family obligations. all my cousins have had their own children so we don't see them anymore. for me, holidays are literally about being trapped in the house. I've tried getting drunk, but my dad always gives me the evil eye when I drink, and I feel bad about it.

Someday. It will be different.
    I love to turn you on
  • Someday. It will be different.

well I realize that, I mean I do appreciate my family. but I just moved back 15 miles from them, and they're really demanding, so I see them all the time. Thanksgiving isn't much different than any other day.
    The Champ wrote:
    Agreed..We party like fucking rock stars...i'll put on some Bruce and PJ, cook, eat, drink, smoke cigars with dad, play cards etc....then we'll do it all again on Friday ;)....but by Saturday i'll be ready to head out..
    Rock on, brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My Dad and I start drinking Bloodies really early :o
    I have to make the next batch as his birthday ones were a bit bland.
    Nothing says holidays like a Bloody.

GreenTea....you are making me sad. If you are near CT you can come with me. My brother can be a loud obnoxious Republican and my SIL is not the best cook, but we have fun. Come on over. I always bring a stray or 2.
  • TrixieCat wrote:
    Rock on, brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My Dad and I start drinking Bloodies really early :o
    I have to make the next batch as his birthday ones were a bit bland.
    Nothing says holidays like a Bloody.

GreenTea....you are making me sad. If you are near CT you can come with me. My brother can be a loud obnoxious Republican and my SIL is not the best cook, but we have fun. Come on over. I always bring a stray or 2.

hehe thanks. sorry to make you sad, I'm just giving my opinion of thanksgiving. even when I was little, I never really liked it that much. and back then I at least saw my cousins or whatever! I've always found it very interesting how much people love thanksgiving. And I also wondering about people who claim to eat so much on thanksgiving...I mean, the capacity of a person's stomach is only so big, how can you eat anymore than you normally would without feeling ill? I don't like the feeling of eating too much, so I don't really get what's so fun about it.
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    all this talk of food is making me hungry......i can not wait to mix my corn with my mashed potatoes.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    leftovers......nothing better that thanksgiving leftovers.....:D:D
  • cutback wrote:
    leftovers......nothing better that thanksgiving leftovers.....:D:D

I do like turkey sammiges with potato chips. I wonder if vegetarian tgiving sammiges with just the suffing and cranberry sauce would be as good. somehow I kinda doubt it. maybe I'll eat some meat for tgiving leftovers. I'm not incredibly opposed to it.
This discussion has been closed.