Options

Turntable advice?

LedbetterusLedbetterus Posts: 592
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
A fan of vinyl for many years, I haven't listened to any in a long while because after I moved my parents player stayed. I have a small collection, some PJ Christmas singles and a lot of old Pink Floyd stuff (my parents had to be stoners :D).

Anyway. I was looking to purchase a new turntable. I would preferably want one that has a little bit of everything. CD player, Cassette player, possibly an iPod dock, coffee maker, etc.. Okay so no coffee maker, but you get the idea. I wouldn't even know where to start looking. I checked amazon, but reviews there mean little to me..

So as far as sound goes.. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    I once had a turntable blow me. That was a fun night. Good luck in your search..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    My honest opinion would be to get a DJ turntable, they are higher quality and will last alot longer.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    This would be my best suggestion.

http://turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/1/132/5007.html
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    DJ turntable.. Technics SL1200 or 1210s.... it won't have all modcons (CD player is a bit of a dirty word among DJS) but you'll get the most robust, all-weather turntables out there.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    get two.......and a microphone
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I have that:
    http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Hifi/PlatineTD/ProjectRMP5.html

Sound is perfect and it's beautiful. Not like the DJ turntables that are awful, IMO...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Rega!
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,874
    I have a Project, a Numark usb, and the DJ numark. I like the Project best but granted it cost a lot more. Project has alot of no frills stuff, simple and to the point, play your music well and that is it.

Ask yourself how much you will actually use it? IF only once a month than don;t waste the money on a project, and go witht he numark, it'll be just fine.

Also check to see the outputs and if you will have to buy as phono pre-amp, many models don't have a grounded RCA connection
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213

good advice
  • Options

i was really just about to post the same thing when i saw this thread
  • Options
    Don't spend more than $250 on a fucking turntable dude...that's my advice.

You don't need a bullshit DJ turntable, go to Best Buy, Sam's, Target, Walmart, and get either the Technics or the Sony (both are less than $250)..

Get some good headphones...again you don't need the top of the line Bose QC3's or Sennheisers or Grado's. $150 gets you a great set of headphones .

I recommend Grado SR225's (maybe $180 for them)

I've had $3000 sound systems with $1000 turntables and sold them because if you just want to listen to music you don't have to freak out with expensive shit. If your soundsystem is good enough an expensive turntable won't make any difference.
    the Minions