Options

Anybody have a friend perform their wedding ceremony?

mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I'd love to have my friend perform the ceremony rather than hire some justice of the peace I don't even know. Anybody done this, or know someone?

I found this website which ordains for free, not sure how legit it is though.
http://www.themonastery.org/?destination=main
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Joey did on FRIENDS for Chandler and Monica!! :)
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    Haha. Do you have Joey's number so I can give him a call?
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    lol

no sorry I don't!!

I think having a good friend do the ceremony is very sweet!! :)
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I don't know anyone thats done it but I think it would be great to have a friend do ceremony. Especially if that friend has been around throughout your whole relationship and has watched the two of you grow together. Go for it!!
  • Options
    We considered having my sister do our ceremony. I can't remember why we ruled it out in the end...but we ended up having some lady we found on the internet marry us. She was cool. :)
  • Options
    My friend Kevin's band "Scrantonicity 2" will be playing my wedding
  • Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    my sister's best friend married her and her husband. she was supposed to have a guy perform it but at the last minute, he decided he couldnt travel the distance (about 300 miles). she was devastated because the ceremony was to be a very specific pagan ceremony. she was worried that she would end up at a justice of the peace.

i called her best friend who was flying in and asked her what we should do. she got online and got ordained and i emailed her all the details about the ceremony. my sister didnt know any of this was going on until a day before the ceremony. she was surprised and so grateful. it turned out to be a great and memorable ceremony.
  • Options
    mensane wrote:
    my sister's best friend married her and her husband. she was supposed to have a guy perform it but at the last minute, he decided he couldnt travel the distance (about 300 miles). she was devastated because the ceremony was to be a very specific pagan ceremony. she was worried that she would end up at a justice of the peace.

i called her best friend who was flying in and asked her what we should do. she got online and got ordained and i emailed her all the details about the ceremony. my sister didnt know any of this was going on until a day before the ceremony. she was surprised and so grateful. it turned out to be a great and memorable ceremony.

Wow, cool story. So it sounds like a very easy process.
  • Options
    my friend had his friend marry he and his wife.

i was in the crowd, it turned ok, but the guy was trying to be a comedian and make it more about him than the two of them, so actually it was kinda lame.
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    my nephew did the online thing so he could perform the ceremony for his brother
    it was realy a special thing as the two of them are best friends and brothers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    we have a family friend who is ordained.. and he has done a couple weddings of other family friends.......

it was actually pretty cool.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Our friend went through the process to become a notary public so that he could perform our ceremony.

Cost him about $100.00 plus a certain amount of paperwork with the State of Florida. But he says it was the best and easiest way to be sure that the ceremony would be legit.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    My dad became a JP 2 years ago and he performed the wedding ceremony for 2 of my cousins. It went very well both times, and made it much more personable.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    I know tons of people who have done it. one of my friends had her own dad officiate.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    my friend has presided over probably half a dozen weddings.....including his brother and a cousin....and in turn, his brother did his wedding....:)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the stories.

for those of you who know someone, how did the person go about making it legit? I see some became notary publics, or justice of the peace. What about the rest, did they do the internet route?
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    mulva9 wrote:
    Thanks for all the stories.

for those of you who know someone, how did the person go about making it legit? I see some became notary publics, or justice of the peace. What about the rest, did they do the internet route?

my friend did the internet thing.....i think it makes the ceremony more fun...:)
  • Options
    i had a friend play a ben harper song on guitar as another friend walk down the ilse. it was awesome. he couldnt even pick up a guitar 2 hours later.
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    mulva9 wrote:
    I'd love to have my friend perform the ceremony rather than hire some justice of the peace I don't even know. Anybody done this, or know someone?

I found this website which ordains for free, not sure how legit it is though.
    http://www.themonastery.org/?destination=main

Yeah, my best friend, who is also the guitar player in my band, married my wife and me. He is in no way ordained or licensed or even religious, which is why he's the only one I would agree to do it. In other words, I really don't think I'm legally married...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    My friend did for a buddy of mine. They're now divorced.
    NERDS!