Options

Anyone know anything about heat?

jojojojo Posts: 645
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
So my house is stuck at 64 degrees has been for the past 4 hours even though i've jacked the heat up to 70

I've checked the furnace it seems fine it hot and i can see the burner on
i checked the circuit breaker and nothings tripped

the baseboard registers are warm

any ideas???
Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Haha, 64 is the temp we have ours set at. I have no idea to help you though. Could you possibly have a leak or window open that is keeping the temp down? Filter need changing? Just kind of bumping for you here. Put on a sweater and call someone in the morning. Good luck and hope it warms up for you. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:
    Haha, 64 is the temp we have ours set at. I have no idea to help you though. Could you possibly have a leak or window open that is keeping the temp down? Filter need changing? Just kind of bumping for you here. Put on a sweater and call someone in the morning. Good luck and hope it warms up for you. :)

well it's 7 degrees outside
    i'm kinda the heat police in my house i usally keep it around 67 or so but i've got a cold so i feel yuck

trust me i've already got on my hoodie i never take it off in the winter :p
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    jojo wrote:
    well it's 7 degrees outside
    i'm kinda the heat police in my house i usally keep it around 67 or so but i've got a cold so i feel yuck

trust me i've already got on my hoodie i never take it off in the winter :p
    So sorry you're sick. That sucks! Wrap yourself up in a big comforter and have something hot to drink! Hope you feel better soon and get your heater working. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    thermostat might be on the fritz.....best guess from across the country....hope you feel better....:)
  • Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    cutback wrote:
    thermostat might be on the fritz.....best guess from across the country....hope you feel better....:)

thats what I was gonna say...

Good luck, feel better!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    thats what I was gonna say...

Good luck, feel better!

yea but you're only halfway across the country....;) :p:D
  • Options
    do you live in an apartment? because last year in college my friend lived at the top of an apartment and durin winter when the heating was on full and he had to wear a t-shirt all day, i was up there and it was pretty hot! but if its not that then i would blame global warmin like everybody else ;)
  • Options
    wish I could help you but I'm trying to figure out how I've never turned the heat past 65 in this place and my gas bill was $362. I'm sitting here freezing my ass off in the living room, sweltering hot in bedroom, and paying a fortune.
  • Options
    yea didn't think about that to be honest
  • Options
    wish I could help you but I'm trying to figure out how I've never turned the heat past 65 in this place and my gas bill was $362. I'm sitting here freezing my ass off in the living room, sweltering hot in bedroom, and paying a fortune.

yea i know
    our gas bill was about 300 last month and i keep it about 65 most of the time during the daylight i put it down to like 62 and over night goes to 62 as well
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    set the sofa on fire.
  • Options
    kc_pjkc_pj Posts: 284
    do you live in an apartment? because last year in college my friend lived at the top of an apartment and durin winter when the heating was on full and he had to wear a t-shirt all day, i was up there and it was pretty hot! but if its not that then i would blame global warmin like everybody else ;)

my gas bill last winter in this apartment was so high and I keep my thermostat on very low, about 60. I am on the top floor and cannnot figure out why exactly, but think my hot water heater is quite messed up and is on too much...
    "Seek my part, devote myself.
    My small self. Like a book amongst the many on a shelf."

"I'm already 30% more unpredictable."
    -Pam Beesly
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020

Use fans! Circulate the air.

And to the original poster, CHECK YOUR FURNACE FILTER! Also, you may want to have your air ducts cleaned.. I am assuming you have forced air, since you said the furnace is working...

Everyone should really check their filters, if they are really dirty you may be able to save a TON on your heating bills!
  • Options
    kc_pj wrote:
    my gas bill last winter in this apartment was so high and I keep my thermostat on very low, about 60. I am on the top floor and cannnot figure out why exactly, but think my hot water heater is quite messed up and is on too much...

I can't keep paying my bill if it is this high all winter. I don't even really like using heat- in my house growing up we never slept with the heat on. But my apartment is FREEZING right now (it's supposedly on 66, but I don't think that thing works). I'm wearing a wool sweater and all. I would love to turn up the heat but after that bill, I'm afraid to. I'm basically posting right now to try to keep my hands warm. I feel like bob cratchet.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    humidifiers help too!
  • Options
    kc_pjkc_pj Posts: 284
    I can't keep paying my bill if it is this high all winter. I don't even really like using heat- in my house growing up we never slept with the heat on. But my apartment is FREEZING right now (it's supposedly on 66, but I don't think that thing works). I'm wearing a wool sweater and all. I would love to turn up the heat but after that bill, I'm afraid to. I'm basically posting right now to try to keep my hands warm. I feel like bob cratchet.

Yeah, I'm bundled under sweats and a comforter... my thermostat is on 64 right now... cold yes, but I can't do much heat when my bill is over 100 (and that's with only one day of using my furnace! stupid hot water heater...). My showers are like 3 minutes long now... I crave a long hot shower....
    "Seek my part, devote myself.
    My small self. Like a book amongst the many on a shelf."

"I'm already 30% more unpredictable."
    -Pam Beesly
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:

And to the original poster, CHECK YOUR FURNACE FILTER! Also, you may want to have your air ducts cleaned.. I am assuming you have forced air, since you said the furnace is working...

Everyone should really check their filters, if they are really dirty you may be able to save a TON on your heating bills!

nope forced hot water
    and we had the furnace cleaned in august the tech said it looked to be in pretty good shape
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    We have a hot water heating system too, and what went out a few weeks ago was the aquastat. This thing regulates the temperature of the water. This thing went out, so the water overheated, and blew out the pressure relief valve, blowing hot steam out of the furnace, filling the furnace room with white steam, with us thinking we need to run, and my husband (at the door of the furnace room) saying 'I gotta see what's happening', with me screaming at him to get away and grab his coat and get outside with us. So anyway, maybe something like that's stopped working properly. You ought to call someone in to check it out.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    We have a hot water heating system too, and what went out a few weeks ago was the aquastat. This thing regulates the temperature of the water. This thing went out, so the water overheated, and blew out the pressure relief valve, blowing hot steam out of the furnace, filling the furnace room with white steam, with us thinking we need to run, and my husband (at the door of the furnace room) saying 'I gotta see what's happening', with me screaming at him to get away and grab his coat and get outside with us. So anyway, maybe something like that's stopped working properly. You ought to call someone in to check it out.

well the basement is fine no steam
    the pipes seem to be circulating cause i can feel some vibrations in them and they are pretty warm to the touch

it's getting a lil warmer in the upsatirs but not the down stairs really so i'm guessing it's something to do with the 'zone' that's connected to that thermostat

i'm gonna am not looking forward to that bill that's for sure :rolleyes:
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    jojo wrote:
    well the basement is fine no steam
    the pipes seem to be circulating cause i can feel some vibrations in them and they are pretty warm to the touch

it's getting a lil warmer in the upsatirs but not the down stairs really so i'm guessing it's something to do with the 'zone' that's connected to that thermostat

i'm gonna am not looking forward to that bill that's for sure :rolleyes:

believe me, I'm missing the pooches tonight!!!! they're with "dad" since I had Thirsty Thursday with mom so I'll be wearing socks and a hoodie to bed! And I hate wearing socks to bed!!!!! I do miss my woodstove at my old house, nothing is better than a woodstove.

I keep my heat at 60 at night and during the day when I'm not here. 65 in the morning while I get ready for work and when I'm home in the evening. Gas is outrageous so I grab a sweatshirt and snuggle with my kids if I'm that cold. My PJ hat is common comfy warm item as well!!!
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!