Options

Computer question

gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I use Mozilla Firefox and love it. Last night it was working fine and when I went on my computer this morning and double-clicked Firefox to open it, the program loaded in my Task Manager and showed that it was using memory, but the window never loaded. I tried restarting my computer and also tried reinstalling Firefox, but nothing's working. Any advice anyone can offer would be great. It really pains me to open Internet Explorer.
“Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gleemonex wrote:
    I use Mozilla Firefox and love it. Last night it was working fine and when I went on my computer this morning and double-clicked Firefox to open it, the program loaded in my Task Manager and showed that it was using memory, but the window never loaded. I tried restarting my computer and also tried reinstalling Firefox, but nothing's working. Any advice anyone can offer would be great. It really pains me to open Internet Explorer.

Never heard of that one under normal circumstances. Does it work under another user name if you create one? Scan your system for adware, also check that after the firefox uninstall, the "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR-USERNAME\Application Data\mozilla" directory is deleted, and "c:\program files\mozilla firefox" directory is also deleted. If not delete them both and reinstall.

That combination of things will probably get it running for sure, and or determine where the problem is exactly.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    sounds like a virus. scan, completely remove, and try again
  • Options
    chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    Use Opera
  • Options
    Never heard of that one under normal circumstances. Does it work under another user name if you create one? Scan your system for adware, also check that after the firefox uninstall, the "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR-USERNAME\Application Data\mozilla" directory is deleted, and "c:\program files\mozilla firefox" directory is also deleted. If not delete them both and reinstall.

That combination of things will probably get it running for sure, and or determine where the problem is exactly.

If that doesn't work, you may want to run a good registry cleaner after your uninstall, as traces of the program will remain in the reg. A good free cleaner that I use is Abexo and you can find it at download.com. Once you run that (back it up first!), reinstall and all should be fine. :)
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I'm scanning for adware now, and I'll do viruses next. My computer does an automatic virus scan weekly though and it hasn't picked anything up yet, so I don't think it's a virus. For now I've started using Opera and I actually like it alot, so if Firefox doesn't start working again it's no big loss.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    mbangel10 wrote:
    If that doesn't work, you may want to run a good registry cleaner after your uninstall, as traces of the program will remain in the reg. A good free cleaner that I use is Abexo and you can find it at download.com. Once you run that (back it up first!), reinstall and all should be fine. :)

I usually just delete the appropriate program name entries in hkey_current_user and _local_machine manually in addition to if the resinstall hasn't fixed....takes a couple clicks. I get a 95% success rate in the field with this approach and usually as a last resort. If one hasn't edited the registry before I'm not keen to advise anything. However it's a reinstall so just nuking the files for the user profile should do.

edit: and yes...a good registry purge every so often is a good idea.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    gleemonex wrote:
    Thanks guys, I'm scanning for adware now, and I'll do viruses next. My computer does an automatic virus scan weekly though and it hasn't picked anything up yet, so I don't think it's a virus. For now I've started using Opera and I actually like it alot, so if Firefox doesn't start working again it's no big loss.
    yes, Opera ias good. Safari is also one of my favorites browser
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i don't understand ie snobs.