Options

Sound Insulation (Barking dogs!)

drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I live in an old house, and every night I have trouble sleeping because of the neighbors' barking dogs. Does anyone have a recommendation of what type of insulation to put in the windows to keep the noise out?

My useless landlord is too cheap to replace the windows. :(
drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    drivingrl wrote:
    I live in an old house, and every night I have trouble sleeping because of the neighbors' barking dogs. Does anyone have a recommendation of what type of insulation to put in the windows to keep the noise out?

Citiquiet windows. They are 1000 bucks per window though :0
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    Citiquiet windows. They are 1000 bucks per window though :0

Yeah, my landlord is too cheap to replace the windows.
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    shouldn't you speak to the neighbour? :o

I wouldn't expect my landlord to replace the windows because the NEIGHBOURS don't care about the neighbours?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    or what about earplugs? :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    shouldn't you speak to the neighbour? :o

I wouldn't expect my landlord to replace the windows because the NEIGHBOURS don't care about the neighbours?

Here's the problem:

We know of four houses with barking dogs. Two dogs at the houses to our left, two at the house behind us, and two at the houses to our right. We have to locate the house to determine where the barking dogs are coming from, and we'd have to leave the house at one in the morning with our flashlight and tromp through the alley way, find the house, walk around, knock on their door, etc.

I tried this once. I located the barking dog, walked around, knocked on the door, and nothing. They didn't answer the door. At four in the morning. (And they finally let the dog back inside at 7:30 am.) So I called the police, and the police sent them a notification 20 days later. :rolleyes:

Because these people are so irresponsible with their dogs, the only option we have left is to insulate our windows. :(

Next!"
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i would keep the noise complaints rolling in to the police. eventually, they will get sick of you calling, and they will have to really go knocking on your neighbor's door and issue some kind of warning.

if not... try and approach your neighbors during the day. they probably didn't hear you knock on the door at 4am because of the barking dogs!
  • Options
    drivingrl wrote:
    Here's the problem:

We know of four houses with barking dogs. Two dogs at the houses to our left, two at the house behind us, and two at the houses to our right. We have to locate the house to determine where the barking dogs are coming from, and we'd have to leave the house at one in the morning with our flashlight and tromp through the alley way, find the house, walk around, knock on their door, etc.

I tried this once. I located the barking dog, walked around, knocked on the door, and nothing. They didn't answer the door. At four in the morning. (And they finally let the dog back inside at 7:30 am.) So I called the police, and the police sent them a notification 20 days later. :rolleyes:

Because these people are so irresponsible with their dogs, the only option we have left is to insulate our windows. :(
    Hmm... but you did it once and didn't actually speak to anybody :o Not having a go at you or anything but not many people WOULD answer their door at 4 in the morning. Perhaps try going around in the day and ask is there anything they can do?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    drivingrl wrote:

egg cartons and / or foam shaped like cones. might dull the sound a little.
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    drivingrl wrote:

did you ever see the Seinfeld episode where Elaine was bothered by the barking dog?
  • Options
    Hmm... but you did it once and didn't actually speak to anybody :o Not having a go at you or anything but not many people WOULD answer their door at 4 in the morning. Perhaps try going around in the day and ask is there anything they can do?

I'm not at home during the day.

Next!"
  • Options
    move!
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    move!

We're seriously considering that.

Next!"
  • Options
    drivingrl wrote:
    We're seriously considering that.

with the market kinda sucking right now, you may get a good deal!
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    with the market kinda sucking right now, you may get a good deal!

Not if you rent. :(

Next!"
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,574
    drivingrl wrote:

Buy a gun.
  • Options
    tish wrote:
    Buy a gun.

I'd probably end up shooting my landlord for being so cheap, and not the dogs that are barking.

Next!"
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    get a dog whistle

everytime they bark blow it hard

The name dog whistle is often used for both lung-powered whistles as well as electronic devices that emit ultrasonic sound via piezoelectric emitters. The electronic variety are sometimes coupled with bark detection circuits in an effort to curb barking behavior.

looks like you can get an automatic one that will blow when the dogs bark!
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    get a dog whistle

everytime they bark blow it hard

The name dog whistle is often used for both lung-powered whistles as well as electronic devices that emit ultrasonic sound via piezoelectric emitters. The electronic variety are sometimes coupled with bark detection circuits in an effort to curb barking behavior.

looks like you can get an automatic one that will blow when the dogs bark!

Iiiiinteresting. What will it do? Will it hurt them?

Next!"
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    drivingrl wrote:
    Iiiiinteresting. What will it do? Will it hurt them?

not really sure, Its annoying to them, that much I know
  • Options
    drivingrl wrote:
    Not if you rent. :(

more of a reason not to do that!
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    Corso wrote:
    I can identify with your difficulty. It is the same in my neck of the woods. Several barking dogs in the neighborhood with owners that are hearing impaired, lazy, or just ignorant. Everyday, morning, and night it is absurd. Making a complaint, talking to the numerous owners is futile. Other then screaming out the window " shut your ... dogs up",which feels great sometimes; the only other solution is insulation. Unfortunately I have not devised the best insulation but here are some things I have tried. Some type of foam or dense material for the window may work but also the walls to your place may be thin like they are here. Using some type of material such as tapestry or a woven blanket may help. Good luck. Training and behavior management of dogs will be a rewarding for the owner and a pleasant experience for all.

I'm going to Home Depot tonight to get some of that egg shell foam. I pray this works.

Thanks!

Next!"
  • Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    or what about earplugs? :o

This is really good advice.

I sleep with earplugs in every night. Its heaven. I still hear the alarm in the morning, but it dampens the sounds enough so I can't hear it.

You could also report the barking noise to your local animal control. They would warn your neighbor and they could end up fining the person for letting their dogs continually bark like that. I think it can be done anonymously.
  • Options
    I'm sure it can be done anonymously. I don't get this cos it's easy enough to train a dog to shut the fuck up at night. Those of you with dogs, anytime they bark say 'shhh' and splash some water at them. Our dog was a bit more difficult so at night one time I had to throw a glass of water over him (minus the glass of course) but always say 'shhh' first. After maybe 2 or 3 times (that's all it takes) they get the message when you say shhh.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life