Options

Tragic Accident in Bathurst New Brunswick

lannerslanners Posts: 458
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm not sure how many of you have heard this story. I've been told it's been on CNN and has appeared in newspapers across the world.

In the early hours of January 12, seven members of the Bathurst High School boys basketball team were killed along with a teacher (who was also the coach's wife) in a tragic van accident. They were traveling home in a snow storm from a game in Moncton NB (about 200 km away) in a 15-passenger van when just five minutes from where they were to meet their parents, the coach lost control of the van and it slammed into a tractor trailer. Eight people were declared dead at the scene. Four people survived, including the coach who was driving, his daughter, and two of the players.

The city of Bathurst (population 12,000) is having a mass funeral in the community hockey rink for all seven of the boys tomorrow (wednesday January 16).

While I am not from the community and did not know any of the deceased, this accident has touched the hearts of so many people, and I wanted to ask if maybe tomorrow you could take a moment and listen to Long Road or Light Years or some PJ song in memory of the young lives taken so tragically.

There has been such an outpouring of compassion and sympathy to the families, friends and community of Bathurst that it has renewed people's faith in the goodness of man. Kids on other basketball teams in other provinces are wearing the Bathurst red and black, special t-shirts are being made to wear during games, even the NBA took a moment of silence before the Raptors game on Saturday night.

A lot of people in the province of New Brunswick will be wearing red in memory of the boys.

Here are some related articles:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080112/bathurst_crash_080112/20080112?hub=Canada

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080114/nb_grieving_080115/20080115?hub=Canada

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/national/story.html?id=4f3eef19-47ac-4254-a3d8-e257895cb93d&k=52228
i. am. mine.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    wow, thats just so sad. I wish peace for their friends and family.. such a horrible thing.
  • Options
    lanners wrote:
    I wanted to ask if maybe tomorrow you could take a moment and listen to Long Road or Light Years or some PJ song in memory of the young lives taken so tragically.

Definitely. Such a sad story.
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    That is terrible...:(
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    :(
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    saw some of the funeral of CBC Newsworld this afternoon and had to turn away, so sad, broke your heart watching some of their friends eulogizing them.

so sad to see a whole community morn
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2