Anyone else always nervous about work?

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm always nervous about work. there are a lot of reasons for it, but I think the key is that I never end up with a job I am really interested in or find gratifying, so knowing that they are paying me, so I have to do a good job whether I like it or not, is very daunting for me. Does anyone else feel that way? when I complain about something at work, my dad always says "so what, they are paying you so just do it." He doesn't realize that the fact that they are paying me is what makes me so nervous. I'm obligated-I have no choice in being interested in the work or not. It pushes me the other way, and makes me really nervous in the process.

anyway, that's probably confusing. but does anyone else's job make them a wreck, for whatever reason?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm always nervous about work. there are a lot of reasons for it, but I think the key is that I never end up with a job I am really interested in or find gratifying, so knowing that they are paying me, so I have to do a good job whether I like it or not, is very daunting for me. Does anyone else feel that way? when I complain about something at work, my dad always says "so what, they are paying you so just do it." He doesn't realize that the fact that they are paying me is what makes me so nervous. I'm obligated-I have no choice in being interested in the work or not. It pushes me the other way, and makes me really nervous in the process.

anyway, that's probably confusing. but does anyone else's job make them a wreck, for whatever reason?

I was a constant nervous wreck about my last job, to the point that it was causing some health problems. I know that part of it was the fact that my boss was a fucking lunatic (and 99% of the firm agreed with that), and it was, at times, a stressful job by nature. But, to be nervous and worried is just also part of my personality. I was letting it get the best of me.

I really understand what you're saying, believe me. I don't have any advice (because my answer was to just quit working for a while...lol), but I can definitely sympathize.
  • my dad is a paramedic so he is always kinda nervus.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • my dad is a paramedic so he is always kinda nervus.

But he has a reason to be!

I have always wondered if people in jobs like that were constantly stressed out. I couldn't deal with life or death situations. :eek:
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    deadlines are the only thing that stress me out and make me nervous....i become a complete asshole under stress and i don't like that feeling.....
  • But he has a reason to be!

I have always wondered if people in jobs like that were constantly stressed out. I couldn't deal with life or death situations. :eek:

Yeah J.Lo, I don't mind that you don't have advice, I was just looking for some empathy or relating, so thanks.

And yeah, I have no idea how people do jobs that involve other people's actual lives. I really wanted to go to medical school when I was in college, because the actual science of it just fascinates me-and frankly I'm pretty good at that stuff. But I knew that I would never want to have someone's life or health in my hands. What if I misdiagnosed someone and they died as a result? Or I was tired and somehow prescribed the wrong medication? I could never handle that amount of responsibility. And a ton of my friends do. I'm amazed by it. I think you have to be DAMN confident, almost narcissistic.

Oh and I also have a major issue with attention span and focus. If I am really interested in stuff-as I usually am in school with the classes I choose to take or with books I choose to read on my own, I become hyperfocused (I stayed up all last night reading a book a found interesting). but when I don't find something all that interesting forget it. And I am totally hyperactive and rebellious- I hate sitting still and if someone tells me to do something my instinct is to do the opposite. The fact that I have so many problems with it just makes me all the more nervous. I am not meant for "work" the way it just conventially is (I'm not lazy though, not in the least). But knowing that I have to "work" even though I don't like it just makes me so...nervous...oh god, I really hate showing up for work in the morning and it's like "ok sit here in this tiny room and focus on whatever I tell you to focus on for as long as it takes to finish it. You can't leave. You can't go do it somewhere else. You have to do it here and now. And like, there's usually just *one* thing to work on (or at least one thing that is the priority). You can't just do whatever you feel like working on at the time. In school, if I don't feel like doing the assignment for one particular class at that particular time/place, I do something for another class. I'm still working, I'm still being productive, but I have a say in what I physically feel like, and I can always stop or go to a new location or whatever. I hate the sit HERE and do THIS aspect of work. It makes me so anxious. it's like a total loss of independence.
  • Sawyer wrote:
    i get kind of down......i hate that i hate Sunday.....such a waste on my part

I hate Sundays too. I have since I was little. you can't enjoy it- either there is too much to do or you're just fretting the work week.
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    I'm a consulting electrical engineer and I actually find that I work better when I have an overwhelming workload with looming deadlines and project managers beating down my door for design packages. I find that when I have one or two projects on the go with distant deadlines, I slack off a tonne until there is more urgency to get things done. Nervousness is also a big part of my job since the designs are rarely 100% correct and when I commission the projects there is usually only a small window to get everything up and running properly before production managers are calling meetings and calling for heads to roll. I love it though.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Sawyer wrote:
    i get kind of down......i hate that i hate Sunday.....such a waste on my part

I can relate. I get really stressed on Sunday.

I'm also nervous about work too. Will I wake up on time? Will I take everything I'm supposed to with me. bla bla

it's my personality though, cuz I do love my job. I deal with people all day and that doesn't help

I usually have to have like an hour in the morning before I can even wake up and get going and get my mind into having to get going for work
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~PJ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ KoL ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1/14/95, Charlotte 2000, 2003:4/15, 4/16, 7/1, 7/5, 7/6, 7/8, 7/9, 2006: 5/27, 5/28, 5/30;6/17/08, 6/28/08
    *** www.myspace.com/pirljamgirl***
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    How long does this go on? A month? 6? A year?

I was stressed and nervous beyond belief my first 3 months...but that was just because I had to learn to prioritize and realize not everyone can be helped at once(everyone thinks they can!).

I think it's normal to feel that way for a while...but not for extended periods of time in the same job....it can affect you physically!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Work is a paradox. First off it should make most people nervous. It's like stepping into a "pretend" world. Especially in service type positions. Can you honestly say you enjoy your job? Or do you just pretend to like it? Should I really be proud of what I do? Should I really be concerned that customers are happy? It all is so fake and insincere. It's also crass.

I'm not talking about all jobs. But there are some real bullshit jobs and some really fake people that work them.

Give me honesty, that's all I ask. That's why i get nervous, I can spot the phoney people and I don't know how to deal with them.

Then there are the overbearing customers. The ones that think you should be subservant to their whims. So then you have to be real fake tongue in cheek.

I want to scream how unimportant all this is to all the uptight assholes.

I like my job, but I'd rather do it at my leisure than 50 hours per week every week. I know this sounds lazy but it's not. Part of what burns me out is having to be at my job when it is slow, I like staying busy and we are only busy for brief periods. I can work hard and always do. I never miss work.

Because when you do miss work no matter how serious the condition,or sickness is...the boss never believes you anyway. Even though I'm the most credible person on the staff.

The people I work with are miserable, they hate it. They always complain, but if you ask them they'll tell you they like what they do. They always have that fake smile around the customers and talk shit about the customers when they aren't around. So whenever I'm a customer somewhere I am always suspicious that other workers on their jobs hate me as well.
    the Minions
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I can honestly say I love my job. Have done so for the last year or two.

That's not to say it isn't hell at times but, a hell I can live with because I like it.....and it's a mix of service and non.

I also have an awesome team at work...sure some I could kill at times...but man I've had worse. Guess I'm just lucky!!!!!!!!

In fact...I'm logging in and doing a little work from home right now........ :eek: :)
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Yeah J.Lo, I don't mind that you don't have advice, I was just looking for some empathy or relating, so thanks.

And yeah, I have no idea how people do jobs that involve other people's actual lives. I really wanted to go to medical school when I was in college, because the actual science of it just fascinates me-and frankly I'm pretty good at that stuff. But I knew that I would never want to have someone's life or health in my hands. What if I misdiagnosed someone and they died as a result? Or I was tired and somehow prescribed the wrong medication? I could never handle that amount of responsibility. And a ton of my friends do. I'm amazed by it. I think you have to be DAMN confident, almost narcissistic.

Oh and I also have a major issue with attention span and focus. If I am really interested in stuff-as I usually am in school with the classes I choose to take or with books I choose to read on my own, I become hyperfocused (I stayed up all last night reading a book a found interesting). but when I don't find something all that interesting forget it. And I am totally hyperactive and rebellious- I hate sitting still and if someone tells me to do something my instinct is to do the opposite. The fact that I have so many problems with it just makes me all the more nervous. I am not meant for "work" the way it just conventially is (I'm not lazy though, not in the least). But knowing that I have to "work" even though I don't like it just makes me so...nervous...oh god, I really hate showing up for work in the morning and it's like "ok sit here in this tiny room and focus on whatever I tell you to focus on for as long as it takes to finish it. You can't leave. You can't go do it somewhere else. You have to do it here and now. And like, there's usually just *one* thing to work on (or at least one thing that is the priority). You can't just do whatever you feel like working on at the time. In school, if I don't feel like doing the assignment for one particular class at that particular time/place, I do something for another class. I'm still working, I'm still being productive, but I have a say in what I physically feel like, and I can always stop or go to a new location or whatever. I hate the sit HERE and do THIS aspect of work. It makes me so anxious. it's like a total loss of independence.

I can totally relate to what you're saying here. I'm pretty much the same re: everything you've described above.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    being a parent is my work. i cant show nervousness. like wolves, kids can smell it and do not hesitate to go in for the kill. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I'm always nervous about work. there are a lot of reasons for it, but I think the key is that I never end up with a job I am really interested in or find gratifying, so knowing that they are paying me, so I have to do a good job whether I like it or not, is very daunting for me. Does anyone else feel that way? when I complain about something at work, my dad always says "so what, they are paying you so just do it." He doesn't realize that the fact that they are paying me is what makes me so nervous. I'm obligated-I have no choice in being interested in the work or not. It pushes me the other way, and makes me really nervous in the process.

I totally feel the same way.
  • I'm always nervous about work. there are a lot of reasons for it, but I think the key is that I never end up with a job I am really interested in or find gratifying, so knowing that they are paying me, so I have to do a good job whether I like it or not, is very daunting for me. Does anyone else feel that way? when I complain about something at work, my dad always says "so what, they are paying you so just do it." He doesn't realize that the fact that they are paying me is what makes me so nervous. I'm obligated-I have no choice in being interested in the work or not. It pushes me the other way, and makes me really nervous in the process.

Work sucks....Get a sugar momma like me.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Yes, I can relate to this. I'm not as nervous now as I was during my hellish school years, but only because I've vowed to never take a job I didn't like doing.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    cutback wrote:
    deadlines are the only thing that stress me out and make me nervous....i become a complete asshole under stress and i don't like that feeling.....

I find that very hard to believe. :)

And as to the op's question. I worked at my last job for 13 years. And that last year or so I was so over it, so beyond being there that I would cry every morning and shake as I drove in in the car and I'd be the same each night when I left to drive home. I spent most of the year with headphones on listening to music so I could block the place out. I took all my breaks and completely left the building and went somewhere else away from the office and with each step as I was returning at the end of my break I'd start with the shaking and the wanting to cry. The whole place just turned me into a complete nervous wreck. I'm so glad I resigned. :) There were periods of time over that 13 years when I was nervous about going to work, nervous about being at work. I hate to think what it did to me in a health sense.
    The only think I know for sure is that if you are constantly uncomfortable at work then you need to find a way to be comfortable or get the hell out of there. Life is too short to spend the better part of your time feeling that way.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • stressed about work?????

not me....i drive a semi 50-60 hours a week.....

once i am off work i never...and i mean NEVER think about my job....i never think about it on the weekends.....

this is one of the reasons i have chosen to do this for a living...i have worked management before and i realized i did not want to spend my day dealing with human beings............

the last 3 trucking companies i was with ALL offered me management positions........i turned them all down...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • I always got nervous. Like Brain of J Lo said, it's just the way I am though. I saw a doctor about my anxiety and then I went out and got a job as a care worker which I always loved. I never had time to be nervous when I was doing that job!
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    Nope, not nervous.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • well, I'm glad that some people here can relate. I'm not lazy, I'm really not! I was the most hard-working student in both college and grad school, and I love to do things like clean or do yard work or shovel. I've 3 major "post college" jobs and one post-college internship now and I have to really wonder if work is ever going to be what I want it to be.
  • i am a trainee teacher.

I love everything about my job except the bullshit target culture and having to be subordinate to colleagues because its protocol. I can take constructive criticism and listen to new ideas, i need to do that to improve...

but i hate feeling like I am wrong all the time because I am a trainee, esp when I have had more expereince in schools than they realise. To be made to feel that your opinion doesnt matter is the worst thing,

i dont like having to conform to tick box standards. i will stick this out and hope it gets easier but if it hasnt in a few years, im out.
  • I used to be a lot more nervous about work than I am now. Occassionally I feel anxious about a certain student...especially if they're at risk for suicide, etc. I feel more confident in my skills than I did first starting out and I get really good supervision...and I've made more peace with what's within my control and what's totally out of my hands. The biggest factor for me is working in a supportive environment. Usually the clients and the work hasn't stressed me out...it's been the culture of the organization.
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)