Football Tailgate

Comments

• bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    Last year we had a noon game and we got to the field at 8am. There was about 25 of us. We took up quite a bit of room, so people around us were getting pissy. All of a sudden my brother in law busts open a box of 30 live lobbies straight from Maine. There was a defeated hush all around us as he held up the first two in celebration of our 930am lobsters. By 10am, everyone around us was begging for scraps.

nice work

are you the crew that i hung with a couple of years ago with the heated saki?

i usually am involved in the food for my crew... and i don't like lobster... so i never go that far

plus it would seem too messy?

we have little or no women in our crew so we keep it caveman style... plus we're a bunch of booze bags... so the food is secondary

i always take a couple of pregame immodium when at the stadium...

by tuesday i regret it ;)
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    i am going down to tailgate for the eagles game on sunday. i don't actually have tickets to the game, but we are tailgating with friends that are season ticket holders. festivities start at 11 for an 8PM game so it should be fun heading into work on monday. :)

can't wait!!
  • Oh yes, and it has been a great season thus far, except for losing to those one dimensional Bears.:(:)

Yea well the Bears have to win some games this season. lol
  • bostonlou wrote:
    i love the tailgate... although last week with the 4 o'clock start it gave you way too much drinking time ;)

Hey, I hear ya... our tailgate always starts at 8am, regardless of kickoff. :D Those late kicks are bad fucking news when you've been drinking beer since 8:30am.

Detroit Lions season ticket holder for 9 years, so I love my tailgating, seeing as how with their lousy-ass teams over the years it's usually the highlight of the day. I tailgate over at Eastern Market with about 15 other guys and we're headquartered out of a 1970 Winnebago (think Cousin Eddie's "RV" from Christmas Vacation). We usually grill up burgers, brats, wings, kabobs, hot dogs... when it gets colder we'll usually have at least one Sunday where we bring 2-3 Crock-Pots of chili down... plenty of chips and crap like that. Lots of beer (Miller High Life, Stroh's, Black Label, Busch... no fancy beer allowed at our tailgate), Bloody Mary's and Bailey's/Kahlua for the morning coffee mixers... plenty of cheap booze (Mohawk Blackberry Brandy is a cold-weather staple) for shots. Any newbie to the tailgate has to bang down a shot of brandy as soon as they arrive... rotgut initiation. :D

We've also got some beanbags to throw, DirecTV dish with a TV inside... the guys next to us built a stripper pole (wood base and an aluminum pole and we drill it right into the asphalt to anchor it... safety first) 'cause there's a lot of girls that come through passing out free passes to the local establishments. Usually doesn't take much to get them on the pole... you should see the cash flying then!!!!

Anyone looking for a nice, easy tailgate dip... here's one you can whip up in like 10 minutes:

2 jars of jalapeno Cheez-Whiz (jar with the purple label/lid)
    2 cans of Campbell's Bean w/ Bacon soup (the condensed stuff in the small can)
    16 oz. tub of sour cream
    (you can use the fat-free sour cream, but it can be watery... I recommend the reduced-fat at the minimum)
    Green onions, chopped

--Rinse and chop the green onions and set aside

--Empty the Cheez-Whiz into a microwaveable bowl and add a splash of milk; microwave for 20-30 seconds (just want to loosen it up)

-- Add 2 cans of soup, tub of sour cream, and green onions

-- Mix together and add chili powder, garlic powder, and/or cilantro if you want.

Tastes fine at room temperature, or you can keep it warm in a small crock-pot or fondue pot. If you do this, however, bear in mind that it'll tend to cook down a bit and get watery... I suggest keeping an extra jar of Cheez-Whiz on hand to add back in at the end to thicken.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,963
    nfanel wrote:
    i am going down to tailgate for the eagles game on sunday. i don't actually have tickets to the game, but we are tailgating with friends that are season ticket holders. festivities start at 11 for an 8PM game so it should be fun heading into work on monday. :)

can't wait!!

Nic you should be able to get tix from someone in that parking lot, yes?
    I love to turn you on
    fuck the dip

that stripper pole is genius!!! ;)
    bostonlou wrote:
    nice work

are you the crew that i hung with a couple of years ago with the heated saki?

i usually am involved in the food for my crew... and i don't like lobster... so i never go that far

plus it would seem too messy?

we have little or no women in our crew so we keep it caveman style... plus we're a bunch of booze bags... so the food is secondary

i always take a couple of pregame immodium when at the stadium...

by tuesday i regret it ;)

I brought a 5 gallon jug of water for the lobster pot and cleanup...we just threw down a two-dollar tablecloth and threw the shells, etc on that and then chucked it in the dumpster when we were done. It was actually pretty easy. Never had saki at a tailgate, so I don't think it was me.
    I love to turn you on
  • Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    Always gotta be a rugby guy throwing his weight around... ;)

I love watching American football, but rugby was a more fun sport to play. I miss those days in college.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
    bostonlou wrote:
    fuck the dip

I agree 100% - brilliant!!!

ALthough my mom probably wouldn't approve...we have quite a bit of family at our tailgates...
    I love to turn you on
  • bostonlou wrote:
    fuck the dip

The dip is actually pretty good... now picture enjoying it while watching some 21-year old stripper that came through the lot to pass out t-shirts sliding down it in an effort to score about $35 in singles... :D It's not a complicated piece at all... just a small 3'x3'x6" square platform, and the pole assembles right in for easy transport. 4 brackets on each side and just anchor it down with some concrete screws.

I wish I knew how to pull pictures off of my cell phone. ;)
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Motown322 wrote:
    Anyone looking for a nice, easy tailgate dip... here's one you can whip up in like 10 minutes:

2 jars of jalapeno Cheez-Whiz (jar with the purple label/lid)
    2 cans of Campbell's Bean w/ Bacon soup (the condensed stuff in the small can)
    16 oz. tub of sour cream
    (you can use the fat-free sour cream, but it can be watery... I recommend the reduced-fat at the minimum)
    Green onions, chopped

--Rinse and chop the green onions and set aside

--Empty the Cheez-Whiz into a microwaveable bowl and add a splash of milk; microwave for 20-30 seconds (just want to loosen it up)

-- Add 2 cans of soup, tub of sour cream, and green onions

-- Mix together and add chili powder, garlic powder, and/or cilantro if you want.

Tastes fine at room temperature, or you can keep it warm in a small crock-pot or fondue pot. If you do this, however, bear in mind that it'll tend to cook down a bit and get watery... I suggest keeping an extra jar of Cheez-Whiz on hand to add back in at the end to thicken.

thanks buddy, i have at last found the reason for the obesity problem in the States. ;)

I'm a Cowboys man... have been for years.. Troy Aikman years in actual fact.. if truth be told i thought their cheerleaders were the hottest... but i still check out their scores and stuff...
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    Nic you should be able to get tix from someone in that parking lot, yes?
    well since dallas is typically our biggest game of the year, it'd be a tough one to get. besides, i kind of prefer watching football on tv...i need the yellow line. :D tailgating i love, though!
  • Oh please... you don't eat the shit every day. :D Probably make it 1-2 times a year.

Plus, it's a tailgate. You're supposed to eat bad food and drink lots of beer. If you want a candy-ass tailgate with Brie cheese and salad and mimosas and turkey burgers, go to a fuckin' UM game. :D
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Woohoo!! Go Gamecocks!!

I think the Florida game is going to be crazy fun for tailgating. That and of course the Clemson game.

I won't make the clemson game this year i'll be in NJ for thanksgiving. :(

That said two years ago was a mess. 12 hours of drinking is and then losing is not a good thing.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    Here in Cleveland there is a mobile strip club that parks in the Muni lot. It's 10 bucks to get in and it's just a giant rv turned into a strip club. I'm not even sure if it is legal, I'm assuming no. I have not been in there, but my friend went in and took pics with his phone.If you see the giant purple bus then your in for a party
    thunderDAN wrote:
    Here in Cleveland there is a mobile strip club that parks in the Muni lot. It's 10 bucks to get in and it's just a giant rv turned into a strip club. I'm not even sure if it is legal, I'm assuming no. I have not been in there, but my friend went in and took pics with his phone.If you see the giant purple bus then your in for a party

Not sure we could get away with that at a college game...too bad too, because lots of drunk college girls running around...they could be making some money!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Motown322 wrote:
    If you want a candy-ass tailgate with Brie cheese and salad and mimosas and turkey burgers, go to a fuckin' UM game. :D

i have no idea what any of that means but i figured its an insult?

tailgating sounds like fun... its uniquely American though huh? do you guys tailgate at a PJ show? i'd like to go to one of those... steal all your women with my awesome accent
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:

tailgating sounds like fun... its uniquely American though huh? do you guys tailgate at a PJ show? i'd like to go to one of those... steal all your women with my awesome accent

Tailgating at a Pearl Jam show has more of a beer-guzzling feel to it...or tailgating at any concert for that matter. For football, it's more about the food (beer is still prevalent). Really it's about hanging out before a show/game and getting tuned up for it...

That said...

Torino '06 was cranked at my last football tailgate!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    dunkman wrote:

Dude, there's tailgating before just about any event in the states. I know a few people from the board that tailgated before seeing Immagine In Cornice when it played on the big screen on the night of its release.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • thunderDAN wrote:
    Here in Cleveland there is a mobile strip club that parks in the Muni lot. It's 10 bucks to get in and it's just a giant rv turned into a strip club.

They've got one of those around here... an old RV and then one that's an old school bus... The Booty Lounge.
  • dunkman wrote:

No, not an insult... just a general statement. I'm all fired up with my University of Michigan hate 'cause the UM/Michigan State game is Saturday.

Sometimes I forget we have such a global board.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    even flow? wrote:
    Just incase the "other side of the pond" don't quite get taligating. It is like a warm up before a big football match, except it isn't done in a pub. And you get the same amount of asshats who can't handle their booze.
    We do it at Twickenham before the rugby and also at Royal Ascot. Except at Ascot we have tables with cloths, flower arrangements and wear top hats and tails. We're fuckin weird!!
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    Tailgating at a Pearl Jam show has more of a beer-guzzling feel to it...or tailgating at any concert for that matter. For football, it's more about the food (beer is still prevalent). Really it's about hanging out before a show/game and getting tuned up for it...

That said...

Torino '06 was cranked at my last football tailgate!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was talking about those sissies at the University of Michigan
    thunderDAN wrote:
    He was talking about those sissies at the University of Michigan

yeah i figured that out...i can't believe no one mentioned notre dame with any fire in the eyes...
    I love to turn you on
    Motown322 wrote:
    The dip is actually pretty good... now picture enjoying it while watching some 21-year old stripper that came through the lot to pass out t-shirts sliding down it in an effort to score about $35 in singles... :D It's not a complicated piece at all... just a small 3'x3'x6" square platform, and the pole assembles right in for easy transport. 4 brackets on each side and just anchor it down with some concrete screws.

I wish I knew how to pull pictures off of my cell phone. ;)

i wish you did too... actually i wish you owned a video camera ;)

no strip clubs near the pats stadium... so i guess we lose out ;)
    intodeep wrote:
    I won't make the clemson game this year i'll be in NJ for thanksgiving. :(

That said two years ago was a mess. 12 hours of drinking is and then losing is not a good thing.

I tailgated at Pearl Jam's NJ 2 show... I was the first car in the lot... friggin pussies afraid of a little rain
    bostonlou wrote:
    I tailgated at Pearl Jam's NJ 2 show... I was the first car in the lot... friggin pussies afraid of a little rain

Did you tailgate at hartford or were you at sweet janes the whole time? cold and drizzly that night, but i was feeling no pain in the parking lot and fired up the ole weber for some eats.
    I love to turn you on
    Friday night...time to turn those cookers on!!!

Anyone from NJ/Rutgers traveling up to CT this weekend? I'll be behind the Guinness stand in the corner of the student section.
    I love to turn you on
    Did you tailgate at hartford or were you at sweet janes the whole time? cold and drizzly that night, but i was feeling no pain in the parking lot and fired up the ole weber for some eats.

little bit of both

i partied at the Erotic Zone parking lot

of course

after the show we went to sweet janes

and then BBQ'd in the Sheraton parking lot
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I thought you were inviting us to come tailgate with you..:(
    I would like to come up there and tailgate with your family.
    I will bring some cool food.
    :)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
This discussion has been closed.