Options

Hi Def TV Question

NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Is a HDMI cable a lot better than the 5 plug component cables as far as picture quality? Is it worth the extra money for me to buy one (HDMI) to hook my cable box to my HDTV?
Brian
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    if your tv is bigger than 50 inches yes
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It's better, but allot of people can't tell the difference between it and component. You'll need HDMI however to transmit a 1080p signal. Unlike component, which is analog, it transmits a digital signal, so don't worry about getting the fanciest one. A cheap one will work just the same as an expensive one unless you are running a really long cable.

Look at it this way. Your DVD/HD player is digital. Your TV is probably digital. better to keep the signal digital than have to convert it to analog and then back to digital.

I would say, if you already spent the big bucks for the TV, spend a few extra bucks for HDMI. And if you only need a cable that is a few feet, buy the cheapest one you can find. Check online for wholesale prices. Retail marks those things up drastically.
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    It's better, but allot of people can't tell the difference between it and component. You'll need HDMI however to transmit a 1080p signal. Unlike component, which is analog, it transmits a digital signal, so don't worry about getting the fanciest one. A cheap one will work just the same as an expensive one unless you are running a really long cable.

Look at it this way. Your DVD/HD player is digital. Your TV is probably digital. better to keep the signal digital than have to convert it to analog and then back to digital.

I would say, if you already spent the big bucks for the TV, spend a few extra bucks for HDMI. And if you only need a cable that is a few feet, buy the cheapest one you can find. Check online for wholesale prices. Retail marks those things up drastically.

Would the same be true for an HD Monitor? I have 65" and a 55" Mitsubishis that dont have the built in hd. As I said, they the monitors only and I have the component cables and the HD cable box. Until I buy a new plasma or lcd or whatever with the hd built in, will I notice that much of a different on these tvs if I spent the $ for an hdmi cable? Thanks
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    http://www.monoprice.com
    Best place to buy cables from.
    Used them many times, only cost you like $5-6
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    HDMI cable is much like USB cable so don't feel like you have to spend a lot of money on one to get a better picture. It's digital so either the tv gets the signal or it doesn't.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    HDMI Cables are a must if you have a bad ass surround sound theater system. But as far as picture goes, you're not going to tell much difference between HDMI and Component Cables.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    HDMI Cables are a must if you have a bad ass surround sound theater system. But as far as picture goes, you're not going to tell much difference between HDMI and Component Cables.
    Wiring your cable's audio via optical or digi coax should do the trick nicely if you already have those.