So, Nader is running again.

over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Any chance Eddie supports him again instead of selling out to the Democratic political machine like '04?
Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Isn't Nader getting a little too old to be running for office? He would be 75 to 79 years old for his first term if he stood a chance in hell.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    over_bends wrote:
    Any chance Eddie supports him again instead of selling out to the Democratic political machine like '04?
    He said that he would only run, if Clinton won the Democratic nod- so it's not 100% that he's running.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252392,00.html

WASHINGTON — Former presidential hopeful Ralph Nader might consider jumping into the 2008 race if Sen. Hillary Clinton wins the Democratic Party nomination.

"She's just another bad version of (former President) Bill Clinton,'' Nader told KGO radio host Ronn Owens in San Francisco while on a book tour, as reported by the San Francisco Chronicle.

Nader has recently said he'll consider making a bid for the White House later this year.

"We're going to see what the Democrats come up with," he said.

Click here to read the San Francisco Chronicle story.

Nader said Clinton, a Democratic front-runner for the White House, has "no political fortitude."

"Flatters, panders, coasting, front-runner, looking for a coronation, not taking on the huge waste in the military budget as a member of the armed services commission, never going after the corporate crimes against pensions, against workers. ... She has no political fortitude.''

The latest FOX News poll shows that 76 percent voters said they would never vote for Nader, while 44 percent said they would never cast a vote for Clinton.

Nader made an unsuccessful bid for president as the Green Party candidate in 2000, gaining more than 2.7 percent of the national popular vote. He gained less than one-half of 1 percent during a second run in 2004.

Click here for more news on the 2008 presidential hopefuls..

On another Democratic front-runner, Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois, Nader said he hasn't done much in the two years he has been in the Senate.

Obama "has capacity ... whether he gets specific in his proposals, that's what a lot of people are waiting for,'' Nader said. "He hasn't shown that much political fortitude ... in his two years in the Senate.''
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Isn't Nader getting a little too old to be running for office? He would be 75 to 79 years old for his first term if he stood a chance in hell.

The guy who is going to win will be 71 to 75. Not much of a stretch.
    Yield!

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    over_bends wrote:

why ?? ...is he running again..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    LukinFan wrote:
    He said that he would only run, if Clinton won the Democratic nod- so it's not 100% that he's running.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252392,00.html

WASHINGTON — Former presidential hopeful Ralph Nader might consider jumping into the 2008 race if Sen. Hillary Clinton wins the Democratic Party nomination.

"She's just another bad version of (former President) Bill Clinton,'' Nader told KGO radio host Ronn Owens in San Francisco while on a book tour, as reported by the San Francisco Chronicle.

Nader has recently said he'll consider making a bid for the White House later this year.

"We're going to see what the Democrats come up with," he said.

Click here to read the San Francisco Chronicle story.

Nader said Clinton, a Democratic front-runner for the White House, has "no political fortitude."

"Flatters, panders, coasting, front-runner, looking for a coronation, not taking on the huge waste in the military budget as a member of the armed services commission, never going after the corporate crimes against pensions, against workers. ... She has no political fortitude.''

The latest FOX News poll shows that 76 percent voters said they would never vote for Nader, while 44 percent said they would never cast a vote for Clinton.

Nader made an unsuccessful bid for president as the Green Party candidate in 2000, gaining more than 2.7 percent of the national popular vote. He gained less than one-half of 1 percent during a second run in 2004.

Click here for more news on the 2008 presidential hopefuls..

On another Democratic front-runner, Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois, Nader said he hasn't done much in the two years he has been in the Senate.

Obama "has capacity ... whether he gets specific in his proposals, that's what a lot of people are waiting for,'' Nader said. "He hasn't shown that much political fortitude ... in his two years in the Senate.''
    So essentially, Ralph Nader thinks Hillary Clinton is a bitch, and would be cooler with McCain in power. He's not sure about Obama yet but wouldn't mind giving him a chance to prove himself..
    over_bends wrote:
    I think McCain is getting up there as well. I don't think a republican will win unless they go up against Hillary. We'll see.
  • Dirty MosquitoDirty Mosquito Chicago Posts: 621
    Mccain would be like the Bush administration all over again!! If he wins, I am moving to Canada or London.

Why is Nader going to do this now?? I have no beef with the guy, but why would you enter the race so late? There is no chance he would win, coming in at the last minute.
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16
  • Junior Senators are not typically all that successful at first. Comes down to the same old same old or someone new and aggressive. I'll agree Obama needs to start pushing SPECIFIC agendas besides CHANGE (although that alone sounds good)...but go Obama!!! :)

I'm hoping Nader stays clear...philosophically I understand his views, but dammit the old guard needs to get pushed out and this Country needs new direction. Unfortunately Nader will accomplish nothing and I don't want a repeat of '04. Ed will be behind Obama...my thought anyway.

Hillary or McCain means another 4 years of spiraling downward.
  • over_bends wrote:

Hopin you are dead wrongggggggggggggggg!!!

If I have to hear another story about his days in captivity I'll puke. Ya...he served his country well then. After that...not so much
  • If nader runs i wont have to vote for peter parker. this election is a joke. worse than the kerry bush 04 race.
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    over_bends wrote:

John McCain has a snowball's chance in hell vs either Barack or Hillary. George W. Bush has single handedly taken down the GOP!

Ralph Nader needs to start seeing the bigger picture and be more constructive...rather than throwing darts at the next President.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    Mccain would be like the Bush administration all over again!! If he wins, I am moving to Canada or London.

Why is Nader going to do this now?? I have no beef with the guy, but why would you enter the race so late? There is no chance he would win, coming in at the last minute.

It isn't late...we're not even through Super Tuesday yet. Regardless of who grabs the Dem and Rep nods, I'd love to see Nader run Green and Paul run Libertarian. Could be interesting...
    If nader runs i wont have to vote for peter parker. this election is a joke. worse than the kerry bush 04 race.

If we wind up with Romney v. Clinton, I would agree with you completely.
  • Dirty MosquitoDirty Mosquito Chicago Posts: 621
    pjl44 wrote:
    It isn't late...we're not even through Super Tuesday yet. Regardless of who grabs the Dem and Rep nods, I'd love to see Nader run Green and Paul run Libertarian. Could be interesting...

I like Ron Paul, but I am going with Obama since he has a better chance, plus I do like his views as well. We DEF. need change
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16
  • John McCain has a snowball's chance in hell vs either Barack or Hillary. George W. Bush has single handedly taken down the GOP!

Ralph Nader needs to start seeing the bigger picture and be more constructive...rather than throwing darts at the next President.

Yaaa..I'm starting to think he needs to hit the ganja and chill. Ralph...we need to get this damn country on its feet (economically and morally) first dude...then MAYBE focus again on screwin with the F%^&$ up 2 party system.
    I like Ron Paul, but I am going with Obama since he has a better chance, plus I do like his views as well. We DEF. need change

Yeah...I'm definitely behind Ron Paul, but would probably vote for Obama if he gets the nomination and Paul doesn't run 3rd party.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    over_bends wrote:

The Republicans hope so.

In essence, one more vote for them.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
    John McCain has a snowball's chance in hell vs either Barack or Hillary. George W. Bush has single handedly taken down the GOP!

Uh, McCain will kick Hillary's ass. Nobody likes her. Not even the Democrats. It will be a (figurative) bloodbath.

Plus, McCain is barely a Republican anyway.
  • we cant afford him running and fuckin things up again... especially in an election where no one is particularly likeable... his chances are better in that respect but he still wont realistically win, so itd just be taking away democrat votes...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • i never understood why people support nader so much! if you dont like the state our country is in? look to nader! im all for a 3rd party canidate that supplies a real option but nader is just there to be there!

if you want "100 years of war" then you should know who to vote for if not then you also know
    Uh, McCain will kick Hillary's ass. Nobody likes her. Not even the Democrats. It will be a (figurative) bloodbath.

Plus, McCain is barely a Republican anyway.

I would love to have a wager on this...if that were the matchup. There will not be a republican President this time...Guaranteed!!!!!!

BTW...Hillary is barely a Democrat.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
    I would love to have a wager on this...if that were the matchup. There will not be a republican President this time...Guaranteed!!!!!!

BTW...Hillary is barely a Democrat.

I will bet a million, trillion gazillion dollars that Hillary will not be president.

I think you're putting way too many eggs in the "people hate Republicans" basket. Independents will vote for McCain. They aren't voting for Hill.

It might end up a moot point, if Obama wins the nom. But if it's Hillary ... prepare for (at least) four more years of a republican in office.

EDIT: McCain leads Hillary by eight points nationally in the latest Rasmussen head-to-head poll. For whatever that's worth.
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    I will bet a million, trillion gazillion dollars that Hillary will not be president.

I think you're putting way too many eggs in the "people hate Republicans" basket. Independents will vote for McCain. They aren't voting for Hill.

It might end up a moot point, if Obama wins the nom. But if it's Hillary ... prepare for (at least) four more years of a republican in office.

EDIT: McCain leads Hillary by eight points nationally in the latest Rasmussen head-to-head poll. For whatever that's worth.

Seriously, this guy is right. Hillary and to a lesser extent Obama are long shots in a nationwide election. McCain will swallow his share of independents too. The Democrats thought they could throw anyone back in '04 against the Republicans and they'd win, and we all know how that turned out. If the Dems can't win in THIS election (post Bush for pete's sake), then they won't be winning an election for a very long time.
    Yield!

This WILL be a moot point...because Obama will be the Nominee. I'm not saying people hate republicans...I'm just saying "they" want change...and that we as a people are tired of 8 years of war and a collapsing economy.

I know what the Rasmussen reads right now...but if the nations feet were held to the fire (Clinton vs McCain)...it would be an entirely different story.

We'll never know though...because Obama will be wiping the floor with any GOP nominee.
  • Kingmidget wrote:
    Junior Senators are not typically all that successful at first. Comes down to the same old same old or someone new and aggressive. I'll agree Obama needs to start pushing SPECIFIC agendas besides CHANGE (although that alone sounds good)...but go Obama!!! :)

I'm hoping Nader stays clear...philosophically I understand his views, but dammit the old guard needs to get pushed out and this Country needs new direction. Unfortunately Nader will accomplish nothing and I don't want a repeat of '04. Ed will be behind Obama...my thought anyway.

Hillary or McCain means another 4 years of spiraling downward.

Hillary would be considered a Junior Senator.
  • pjl44 wrote:
    Yeah...I'm definitely behind Ron Paul, but would probably vote for Obama if he gets the nomination and Paul doesn't run 3rd party.

Do you know anything about Ron Paul? Go to his website and read some of the outrageous shit he thinks. He will NEVER be president of this country.
    hobbes wrote:
    Do you know anything about Ron Paul? Go to his website and read some of the outrageous shit he thinks. He will NEVER be president of this country.

Of course I know about him...I didn't just pull his name out of a hat. And of course he more than likely won't get elected, but what he's pulling in the primaries (and what he would pull as a 3rd party candidate) speak to a growing Libertarian sentiment that feels under-represented.

What do you find "outrageous?"
  • pjl44 wrote:
    Of course I know about him...I didn't just pull his name out of a hat. And of course he more than likely won't get elected, but what he's pulling in the primaries (and what he would pull as a 3rd party candidate) speak to a growing Libertarian sentiment that feels under-represented.

What do you find "outrageous?"

his stance on abortion and roe v. wade
    the fact he wants to abolish the IRS and federal income tax (the irs needs to be put back in check as the power it currently wields is outrageous but you can't just get rid of government agencies because you feel like it)
    he wants the US out of the UN and NATO
    the elimination of federal funding from schools (private and state funding which means rich areas will obviously have better schools and the poor areas will suffer even more)
    his stance on immigration (even a democrat would blush at the kind of spending he's talking about)

he promises bullshit. you want a definition of hyperbole then look at what ron paul says he'll do if he's ever president. he's lying to you. the majority of people are for him because he's talking about getting the US out of iraq immediately (riiiiight..even the democrat who will probably win won't do that regardless of if they say so or not)
  • I defintiely agree that if Hillary is nominated, the next president will be any Republican. If Obama is nominated, it will be close.
    hobbes wrote:
    his stance on abortion and roe v. wade
    the fact he wants to abolish the IRS and federal income tax (the irs needs to be put back in check as the power it currently wields is outrageous but you can't just get rid of government agencies because you feel like it)
    he wants the US out of the UN and NATO
    the elimination of federal funding from schools (private and state funding which means rich areas will obviously have better schools and the poor areas will suffer even more)
    his stance on immigration (even a democrat would blush at the kind of spending he's talking about)

he promises bullshit. you want a definition of hyperbole then look at what ron paul says he'll do if he's ever president. he's lying to you. the majority of people are for him because he's talking about getting the US out of iraq immediately (riiiiight..even the democrat who will probably win won't do that regardless of if they say so or not)

1. I completely disagree with his stance on abortion, but it's not an important issue. People latch onto it because it's simple to have an opinion. If Roe v. Wade was ever overturned (which it won't be), states would still have the ability to decide.
    2. He's not talking about eliminating the IRS on a whim. He wants to explore alternative flat and sales taxes rather than the income tax. If you don't have an income tax, you don't need the IRS.
    3. Eliminating federal funding for schools isn't where the story ends. He favors a tax credit for each child that facilitates school choice. As is evidenced by the No Child Left Behind Act, schools are worse off when the federal government interferes (vs. state control alone). (By the way, what difference has federal funding made for schools in lower income areas to date?)
    4. I don't agree with every plank of his immigration platform, but what spending are you referring to?

He's not talking "bullshit"...it's a lot of Libertarian ideals, some of which are being adopted my mainstream candidates. And I agree with your notion that no one has a clue what to realistically do with Iraq at this point. I'm just impressed that he was prescient enough to vote against it for all the right reasons five years ago.